P700 Tight steering on P-700-4 deluxe

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Keep my 2018 P700-4 deluxe up on our mt property in a trailer during summer. Up here for a few days this week and pulled it out today and steering was really “tight”. Almost like no EPS which it has. Steering wheel not returning to center while driving. Had to push on wheel to turn and straighten out.

I had the recall service done back on 2020/21. For u/knuckle joint bolt. All good since then (and prior ) until today.

I did a forum search and all I could find was some reference to bad ball joints versus steering box?

Any insights welcome. Anyone else experience this? It’s be flawless otherwise; but it’s clearly different steering now. Reluctant to take out anywhere not knowing what might be going on.

Thanks for any thoughts/help.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dash lights normal. No steering indicator light, etc.
Actually, if I just turn key on; but don’t turn over starter the steering wheel light is on with a ! At that point everything else is off but parking brake light it the steering wheel symbol with ! Manual says that is only a problem if it stays on. 🤷🏼‍♂️

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How is the air pressure in the tires?

Do you think the EPS isn't working? Trying turning it at a standstill before you start it, and then compare that to after you start it.

The assist will drop out a little under high electrical load situations...say lights on, fan running, turning at a stop. How's your battery doing?

I guess if I wanted to determine if it were a ball joint or rack, the easiest thing would be to jack the front up and pop the tie rod ends out of the knuckle and see which seems to have resistance.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
How is the air pressure in the tires?

Do you think the EPS isn't working? Trying turning it at a standstill before you start it, and then compare that to after you start it.

The assist will drop out a little under high electrical load situations...say lights on, fan running, turning at a stop. How's your battery doing?

I guess if I wanted to determine if it were a ball joint or rack, the easiest thing would be to jack the front up and pop the tie rod ends out of the knuckle and see which seems to have resistance.
Tires are fine last I checked...will double check in AM when its light...

All good suggestions, thank you....the electrical load question is interesting...you may be on to something...battery is original and I have charged and maintained it regularly...except for lately...once I drop on property it mostly charges from driving and I will occasionally plug into a charger/maintainer. I have a dual system with second for winch, with monitor/guage and it usually reads 13 or so when I start and then it goes up to 14.1 and eventually switches to the second battery and it reads similar. When I started it yesterday after sitting for 3 weeks it was real sluggish and read 10+ volts at start...lowest I had seen it....eventually went up to 13.9....also on the drive tonight we drove with lights on too...don't recall if fan kicked on....

I think the EPS is working...just feels different...I will do your test tomorrow though. And put battery on charger, maintainer.

I thought of jacking it up too...but will explore your other suggestions first...

Many thanks for weighing in...we're up on the property now....will report back.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
EPS is clearly working doing your test @DG Rider.

After battery charger on for a couple hours took it for a ride. Was much better. Monitor showed 14.3 (vs 13.9 yesterday) while running. Battery at rest measures 12.57.

Didn’t let my noco genius 3500 finish its top balance before taking for a ride. Will do that now though.

Had the Mrs take it for a spin and said it seemed fine to her.

I think I’ll drop a new battery in it just as a precaution. 5 years on the factory one may be pushing it. Cheap insurance to replace.

The other factor here is there may be a subliminal message in my mind after reading about “return to center EPS” on the new P700s and that I expect that on my 2018 model….ha.

Thanks for feedback and help. Especially @DG Rider

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The other factor here is there may be a subliminal message in my mind after reading about “return to center EPS” on the new P700s and that I expect that on my 2018 model….ha.

Thanks for feedback and help. Especially @DG Rider
I was sitting there thinking after reading your thread...but I don't know that mine really has that much self centering tendencies. I pay attention next time I'm out.

Reactions: Smitty335
B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update. After charging most of day went for ride this evening. It was “normal” and no symptoms similar to yesterday. Sure seems related to battery/charge and draw on electrical system! I learned a lot. Thanks @DG Rider

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update. After charging most of day went for ride this evening. It was “normal” and no symptoms similar to yesterday. Sure seems related to battery/charge and draw on electrical system! I learned a lot. Thanks @DG Rider
My intentions...if my battery ever dies, is to go back with something with larger capacity. I suspect it will greatly help, or even eliminate the high-draw drop out.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!