P500 Top Battery Bolt

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I was in the process of putting a float charger on my P5.
But the top bolt is spinning soooo is there a way to get to the back w/o taking the fender off??
It is still under warranty so probably will be the way to go.
Just don't want to go during hunting season
Thanks for all the responses

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get a flathead screwdriver and wedge the nut from top. I had to drill mine out. I now have a zip tie on top.

D

Deleted member 3748

I couldn't get mine with the screwdriver method so I cut a slice in the plastic and pulled the cover off. Then I was able to get the bolt. Now I hold the top of the cover on with a bungee strap.

Reactions: sgerksinwi
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
After I finally got the goofy nut on the backto quit spinning (with an "L" shaped screwdriver jamed in) and got the cover off, I ran a long bolt in from the back side followed by a nut (works like a stud) and then another nut on the outside of the cover.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Had the same problem. Pulled the top bolt through the top of the plastic then used my vice to get the bolt/nut off. I then super glued the bolt backing to the battery box so when I put it back together it will not spin again. Bad design since it looks like I was not the only one to have that issue but the little tabs on the bolt make is really easy to glue back in place.

Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Same problem here. I have been able to use a screw drive to get mine on and off..

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I actually couldn't get it with a screwdriver. Try a channel lock to jam it "No Luck"
I started to drll out the bolt and the plastic that hold the nut broke before I got it drll though the head of the bolt
Well I got it off at least
I got a zip type on it for now I might try a push nut on it latter
I'm glad that I tried to put a charger on it now .
I wouldn't of wanted to have a dead battery at night in middle of a frozen lake
Warning if you haven't check your battery cover please do it when the weather is nice..
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one with this issue
Thanks Again all post

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I actually couldn't get it with a screwdriver. Try a channel lock to jam it "No Luck"
I started to drll out the bolt and the plastic that hold the nut broke before I got it drll though the head of the bolt
Warning if you haven't check your battery cover please do it when the weather is nice..
Thanks Again all post
Mine came with a plug sticking out for a Battery Tender so I just got another Battery Tender lead and put clips on it. I keep that in my storage should I need someone to jump me I just plug that in to the existing plug. No need to take off the cover.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Mine came with a plug sticking out for a Battery Tender so I just got another Battery Tender lead and put clips on it. I keep that in my storage should I need someone to jump me I just plug that in to the existing plug. No need to take off the cover.

Pics please.

advertisement
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Here you go. Best I could do with a flashlight.

Battery Tender

D

Deleted member 3748

Hmmmm... I haven't discovered that plug on my 2015. But I could get a jump from under my hood if needed.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I am not sure they did not add it at the dealer because it is EXACTLY the same as Battery Tender sells. Super easy add. I did not think about jumping it under the hood off the winch block.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Nice

Reactions: rocmar
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks Again all post
Also see my thread on Caution battery cover for fixes, did the two nut bolt method on mine.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Also see my thread on Caution battery cover for fixes, did the two nut bolt method on mine.
When Iwas drilling the screw out it broke the spacer out of the back Big hole
Enough material to get a push nut on to the right of the hole

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!