P500 Tough to steer one direction

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All, Long story short, got a tow strap wrapped around my CV boot that caused a tear. Brought it into a shop and within 20 miles, had a clunking noise from the repaired boot area and something happened causing the drive shaft to come loose. Not sure if damage was done when the strap wrapped around it originally, or if when they put it back together and they did something wrong (not a Honda shop...). Anyway, brought it back, they replaced the whole drive shaft unit into the CV boot area (sorry likely using wrong terminology). The repair was on the front right.

Just got it home and turning to the left is very difficult and the tires want to snap back towards center. It's smooth, just very hard to turn the steering wheel. In the few miles I drove it after the original repair, I think it might have been tight then as well. Turning to the right seems normal. I jacked up the front end and it turns easy in the air and doesn't exhibit the same issue. Anyone have any suggestions to check out? I'm trying to figure out if the repair caused the issue or if there was damage when the tow strap got up in there and since they aren't familiar with Honda's they didn't notice something out of spec.

Never had any issues prior to this and only have about 200 miles on it, zero mods.

Thanks all!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d start taking measurements while inspecting parts. Looking for something bent/twisted/broken or cracked welds even. Frame tabs where the a arms mount. Shocks.
Check for bad toe in/out as well.

*bad not bed. Oops

Last edited:
M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’d start taking measurements while inspecting parts. Looking for something bent/twisted/broken or cracked welds even. Frame tabs where the a arms mount. Shocks.
Check for bed toe in/out as well.
I’m not seeing anything to my untrained eye that looks out of ordinary, but I’ll keep looking

Reactions: Smitty335
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not seeing anything to my untrained eye that looks out of ordinary, but I’ll keep looking
Can always post up some pics. We like pics regardless and sometimes they do show things you might overlook. Especially if your more of a take it to the dealer guy than a DIY guy. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi All, Long story short, got a tow strap wrapped around my CV boot that caused a tear. Brought it into a shop and within 20 miles, had a clunking noise from the repaired boot area and something happened causing the drive shaft to come loose. Not sure if damage was done when the strap wrapped around it originally, or if when they put it back together and they did something wrong (not a Honda shop...). Anyway, brought it back, they replaced the whole drive shaft unit into the CV boot area (sorry likely using wrong terminology). The repair was on the front right.

Just got it home and turning to the left is very difficult and the tires want to snap back towards center. It's smooth, just very hard to turn the steering wheel. In the few miles I drove it after the original repair, I think it might have been tight then as well. Turning to the right seems normal. I jacked up the front end and it turns easy in the air and doesn't exhibit the same issue. Anyone have any suggestions to check out? I'm trying to figure out if the repair caused the issue or if there was damage when the tow strap got up in there and since they aren't familiar with Honda's they didn't notice something out of spec.

Never had any issues prior to this and only have about 200 miles on it, zero mods.

Thanks all!
How did the tow get wrapped around the axel and what else was it tangled up in?

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How did the tow get wrapped around the axel and what else was it tangled up in?
Not my proudest moment. I was using it to do some work in our backyard and went through some tall grass and didn't see an old stump (new house). Got it stuck on the skid plate. Put it in neutral and pulled it out with my truck via a tow strap. I just nudged it forward and figured it would stop in a small depression/ditch.. Instead, that son of a gun kept building speed towards the truck that was still attached via the strap.. The road was on a hill so I eased forward hoping I could slow down as it got closer to stop it without damaging my brand new truck.. Got it to stop behind my truck with a little dent in the chrome.. The two strap had wrapped around tight on the right CV boot. Still seemed to drive okay, minus the tear.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not my proudest moment. I was using it to do some work in our backyard and went through some tall grass and didn't see an old stump (new house). Got it stuck on the skid plate. Put it in neutral and pulled it out with my truck via a tow strap. I just nudged it forward and figured it would stop in a small depression/ditch.. Instead, that son of a gun kept building speed towards the truck that was still attached via the strap.. The road was on a hill so I eased forward hoping I could slow down as it got closer to stop it without damaging my brand new truck.. Got it to stop behind my truck with a little dent in the chrome.. The two strap had wrapped around tight on the right CV boot. Still seemed to drive okay, minus the tear.
Eh life happens! Just a bummer it wasn’t on video for all of us to see.

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Frontleft4
Frontleft5
Frontleft3
Frontleft2
Frontleft1
Frontleft
Frontr

Reactions: 500oneer
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Jack up the front and check your full turning in both directions, should be close. This is to ensure the steering is centered.
Then turn full lock both directions and spin the wheels. You should expect to get a little CV bump out of that passenger passenger side but not to the point of restriction. Did anyone go cranking up the preload on the shocks on the front end? That will make that passenger side bind more.

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jack up the front and check your full turning in both directions, should be close. This is to ensure the steering is centered.
Then turn full lock both directions and spin the wheels. You should expect to get a little CV bump out of that passenger passenger side but not to the point of restriction. Did anyone go cranking up the preload on the shocks on the front end? That will make that passenger side bind more.
Gave that a try, nothing seems to stand out. Nothing was done with the shocks.. Wonder if something is binding or slightly bent and I just dont see it.. Might have to bring it into a Honda dealer..

Reactions: trigger
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Gave that a try, nothing seems to stand out. Nothing was done with the shocks.. Wonder if something is binding or slightly bent and I just dont see it.. Might have to bring it into a Honda dealer..
Take it back to the guys who screwed it up. Since the wheel snaps back to center, it won't be hard to show them what it's doing.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!