P500 Towing on 8 foot trailer?

C

c04678

Nov 11, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I'm do to pick up my new 500 this coming week. I own a 5x8 trailer, that I have used for towing my 4-wheeler. I know that the 500 can be towed in the back of a pickup, but I have a ramp on the back of my trailer, which locks in the upright position. Will I have to trailer the 500 backwards to be able to shut the ramp? Just wondering how tight this is going to be.

Thanks guys...this form is awesome.

Reactions: TxDoc and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm do to pick up my new 500 this coming week. I own a 5x8 trailer, that I have used for towing my 4-wheeler. I know that the 500 can be towed in the back of a pickup, but I have a ramp on the back of my trailer, which locks in the upright position. Will I have to trailer the 500 backwards to be able to shut the ramp? Just wondering how tight this is going to be.

I tow in 4x8, just perfect fit

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc and 500oneer
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Welcome from NW Arkansas!

H2oguy

H2oguy

Jun 28, 2020
246 Old 69 New Glarus Wi
Ownership

1. 700-2
I cram my p700 in a 5 x 8 trailor....kind of looks like an elephant in a bath tub, but it does work. Drive on and very close to not enough wait on tongue and I have to strap up the gate as it doesn’t close all the way!

Reactions: crewcabrob
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have a fold down ramp/gate on my 5 x 8. I have a removable slide-in. I can not put the gate in when my machine is loaded. I load it backwards due to my soft top with suicide soft doors so the wind doesn't catch them.

Reactions: crewcabrob and CID
C

c04678

Nov 11, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Just to clarify my question. I need to know if I will be able to close the fold down ramp with the P500 loaded forward or backwards. I never said that I was going to load in the back of my truck. I did say that the P500 "can" be towed in the back of a truck. At least that what the Honda website says.

If I will not be able to close the fold down ramp, then I will remove it and go with a couple of removable steel ramps.

D

Duckhunt

Just to clarify my question. I need to know if I will be able to close the fold down ramp with the P500 loaded forward or backwards. I never said that I was going to load in the back of my truck. I did say that the P500 "can" be towed in the back of a truck. At least that what the Honda website says.

If I will not be able to close the fold down ramp, then I will remove it and go with a couple of removable steel ramps.
I have a Karavan 5 x 8 and I was able to close the gate, it did compress the sxs tires a bit, which are 26" btw, but it closed. I remounted the brackets on my lift gate so it's closes at maybe an 80 degree angle vs 90, but it did work in the 90. Now there's no interference with tires. It was that close. 24" tires you'll be fine with the karavan. Edit: Just stating my 5x8 works, don't know your brand!

This is all facing fwd, and there is not much tongue weight at all. Use the largest drop receiver ball you got.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500

I have a utility trailer 6x10, 2ft mesh sides is just right and easy to maneuver. Parks into 2 parking spots just right.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just bring some extra ratchet straps in worst case the ramp doesn’t fully close. Same principle of DG Tailgate supports.

6F0F1E30 D52B 4A41 92B4 B4CCDE39D201

C

caballero59

Oct 26, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I tow in 4x8, just perfect fit

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My 15 drives right into my 5x8 (no tail gate). The 17 has to be picked up several inches in the front so the suspension narrows enough to fit the front tires between the rails.

Reactions: crewcabrob
C

c04678

Nov 11, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Picked up my new 2020 today. Backed up into the trailer and with the back tires up against the railing, there was about 4 inches of front bumper protruding into the ramp area. What I decided to do, temporarily, was remove the front bumper, just 4 bolts. This allowed the ramp to close, with 2 inches to spare.

When I have a little more time, will modify the ramp to tilt outward for towing with bumper in place.

H

Hoop

I use a 5 by 7 trailer that is actually 88 inches long. front will drop down so I installed chains to kept it at about 45 degree angle and on the back ramp made brackets to hold ramp at about 60 degree angle. Works great. Use straps on rear wheels only when hauling p5

IMG 20201126 091843 IMG 20201126 091821

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!