• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I've been towing the 520 facing forwards and have been a little worried about rock chips and damage while towing. I rednecked a windshield cover with a sunshade, but wondering if anyone has found a towing-specific cover for the 500/520 line? I reached out to UTV801 to see if they had anything for the 500/520 like they do for the 1000, but haven't heard back yet. Any ideas?

Hondawindshield

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
That will work. Good question, I never thought about it now that I have an EMP glass windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimG
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
That will work. Good question, I never thought about it now that I have an EMP glass windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It did a decent job and stayed put, but I dont like the bungees and things flapping. Would like to find something that fits snug/tight and easy on/off with velcro or something.

Reactions: TimG and Bigtee
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I'm really interested in this. I have the Honda Hard-coat windshield and I'm worried about how it will be after trailering. But given that mine is not glass, I have been reluctant to cover it with anything. I worry that it will rub or flap and cause visibility issues with the plastic.

Rob

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Heads up from my experience....if it can move any at all it will rub all kinds of ugly scratches in to a plastic windshield. I ended up scrapping my full windshield due to the scratches. What I do now is put a stick on protective film on the windshield then the cover. I get it at Menards. It's used to protect floors or carpet during remodeling. Just peel it off when I get there.

GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not sure about the RZRs sizing, but he did also send me a pic of it on a 520, so should work well....

View attachment 282307
I bought a cover when I bought my USA windshield (801). It does not work for towing on the highway. I put mine on the first time and when I got on the interstate noticed it bunched up at the top of the windshield. I use it when at camp, etc., to prevent dew, rain, ice getting on windshield overnight. A member here stated in a thread a year or two ago that he used a piece of plywood on his boat windshield. I took a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and glued split pieces of pipe insulation as padding. (i.e., I took a knife and split the insulation in half.) I originally wrapped and glued the insulation on all four sides, but the wind tore the insulation off the top and sides. I then glued split pieces under the sides. The bottom wrapped piece stayed put. I've towed mine for 1,000s of miles and it works for me. I think the UTV801 cover would work if they made a pocket in it for a piece of plywood or similar stiffener.
My pictures aren't to good. I was reading this, jumped up and went out and took these real quick. I put the windshield air vent up to hold the cover while I took the pic.

20210706 191410 20210706 191336 20210706 191613

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Heads up from my experience....if it can move any at all it will rub all kinds of ugly scratches in to a plastic windshield. I ended up scrapping my full windshield due to the scratches. What I do now is put a stick on protective film on the windshield then the cover. I get it at Menards. It's used to protect floors or carpet during remodeling. Just peel it off when I get there.
This is kind of what I was worried about.

I do like the stick on carpet/floor stuff you can get for a quick fix. I used a similar product I purchased from Griot's Garage on the front of one of my cars when we went to Moab one year. All the contours of the front bumper made it difficult to stick down, but being on a flat windshield, it may work better.

I also like the rigid one above made from plywood and pipe insulation. It would be better for me if I could put hinges on it and fold it smaller for storage.

Rob

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I bought a cover when I bought my USA windshield (801). It does not work for towing on the highway. I put mine on the first time and when I got on the interstate noticed it bunched up at the top of the windshield. I use it when at camp, etc., to prevent dew, rain, ice getting on windshield overnight. A member here stated in a thread a year or two ago that he used a piece of plywood on his boat windshield. I took a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and glued split pieces of pipe insulation as padding. (i.e., I took a knife and split the insulation in half.) I originally wrapped and glued the insulation on all four sides, but the wind tore the insulation off the top and sides. I then glued split pieces under the sides. The bottom wrapped piece stayed put. I've towed mine for 1,000s of miles and it works for me. I think the UTV801 cover would work if they made a pocket in it for a piece of plywood or similar stiffener.
My pictures aren't to good. I was reading this, jumped up and went out and took these real quick. I put the windshield air vent up to hold the cover while I took the pic.

View attachment 282333 View attachment 282334 View attachment 282335
Did you use the UTV801 specific cover? Definitely good info to know for sure, thanks for sharing your experience.

The sunshade worked for me and didn't bunch up at all, just didn't like the bungees and taking time to rig it so it was solid. We'll see how the UTV cover does and I might try the sunshade underneath it. I also like your idea of the UTV cover and a pocket or something for a stiffener....may talk to a seamstress.

Thanks again for your advice

Reactions: Bigtee and TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I've heard people have used seran wrap. I don't know how it worked out for them though.

Reactions: rustyneversleeps
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Did you use the UTV801 specific cover? Definitely good info to know for sure, thanks for sharing your experience.

The sunshade worked for me and didn't bunch up at all, just didn't like the bungees and taking time to rig it so it was solid. We'll see how the UTV cover does and I might try the sunshade underneath it. I also like your idea of the UTV cover and a pocket or something for a stiffener....may talk to a seamstress.

Ratchet straps ?

Reactions: rustyneversleeps
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I've heard people have used seran wrap. I don't know how it worked out for them though.
Ratchet straps ?

Both might work, thanks for the ideas. Was mostly just trying to find something quick, easy, and good protection. I may see if there are a couple good spots for ratchets if I have to revert back to the old setup.

GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500

Same cover.
20210707 084136

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!