P500 Cover for P520?

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Do any of you put a cover over your SxS when it will be stored outside or when towing it?

I'm fortunate to have room in the drive-out basement of our workshop to store my P520 when at home. I'm considering getting something to cover it when I have to leave it outside when away from home. I have a roof and font and back windshields, but not a completely enclosed cab. It's still a pain to clean off the snow in the winter. I suppose the same could be said to keeping rain off in the summer, but I haven't had to deal with that yet. It would also be nice to keep whatever I have in the bed somewhat protected from the elements. I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort to cover it or not. (Plus, if it will sit for a while, covers tend to make things more attractive to mice.)

I'm also wondering whether it's advisable to cover it when towing (typically towing short distances at 40 MPH or less, but might occasionally go longer or on a 50 mph road if I need to bring it somewhere for service.) It would be nice to keep the road salt off when hauling it in the winter. I also wonder about protecting the windshield from road debris. On the other hand, flapping covers can do some damage to windshields and paint/finish.

Do most of you just leave it uncovered when stored outside?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I covered mine when it was outside at home for whatever reason. The covers won’t survive trailering. But they keep leaves and rain/snow out when parked (as long as the roof is on the machine to prevent pooling).

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nope, if I was to store it outside id find a way to make me a carport shelter. The cover will harbor mice and they don’t last long outside like stated above. I have one i bought in 16’ for my P1 and used it once, ben sitting on my bench the last 5 yrs. Was a whore to keep on in the wind and taking it off, drying it and putting it away was also a complete whore!
Maybe inside you can cover it if your doing some wood working to keep the saw dust off it if its clean? But even then, Its a sxs it will get more dust than that on trail so🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Red500 and trigger
J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
A carport shelter wouldn't work for me. I have inside storage at home. When it's away, it could be in any number of different places. Sawdust is not a concern, since all of that work takes place on the main floor of the shop. The basement where the P520 stays is mostly vehicles (the P520 and a couple of antique Coot ATVs), tractor attachments, and non-woodworking tools.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Yup mines covered for winter. Bought a Cabelas universal cover and it’s been awesome for years… I’d not tow with it on. Keeps the keerap/snow off and slips over easy enough has elastic hem on the bottom that snugs down around wheel. It was inexpensive at the time. I’d for sure buy another when the time comes and it’s a reasonable greyish colour.

Reactions: Splorin and trigger
Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
Do any of you put a cover over your SxS when it will be stored outside or when towing it?

I'm fortunate to have room in the drive-out basement of our workshop to store my P520 when at home. I'm considering getting something to cover it when I have to leave it outside when away from home. I have a roof and font and back windshields, but not a completely enclosed cab. It's still a pain to clean off the snow in the winter. I suppose the same could be said to keeping rain off in the summer, but I haven't had to deal with that yet. It would also be nice to keep whatever I have in the bed somewhat protected from the elements. I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort to cover it or not. (Plus, if it will sit for a while, covers tend to make things more attractive to mice.)

I'm also wondering whether it's advisable to cover it when towing (typically towing short distances at 40 MPH or less, but might occasionally go longer or on a 50 mph road if I need to bring it somewhere for service.) It would be nice to keep the road salt off when hauling it in the winter. I also wonder about protecting the windshield from road debris. On the other hand, flapping covers can do some damage to windshields and paint/finish.

I have heard of people getting a pop-up canopy and parking under it. Get one with walls and it’s a mini garage. No help on towing obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger
G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
We cover our P520 with a 10 x 12' tarp and bungee cords (2-4, depending on length). This works great in combination with Honda OEM roof to keep nearly all snow and rain out of cab and bed (wouldn't be 100% in high wind).

8 x 10' tarp also works, but not as well. It's not long enough on sides of cab so it let's a little more rain and snow onto seat. It's also a little short to completely cover hood and box--have to settle for box and cab.

No, I wouldn't tow it with this on. If I really wanted to protect it towing, I'd consider applying plastic wrap like they do on pallets. But it made it home fine on the 1200 mile trip from dealer through rain, dust, and mud without any cover.

Reactions: trigger
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda towable cover for my P500 so i could tow with doors on it in the winter. It did not hold up and is now useless and will soon be in the trash. I now just put a ratchet strap around the cab at bottom of windshield to keep door on when towing. The Honda cover worked great for outside at deer camp to keep frost/snow/rain off of it.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Sounds as though the idea of a towable cover may not be the greatest one. I suppose there is also the problem that the cover flapping in the wind will start messing up the windshield (a problem with cheap covers on small aircraft, which have windshields made of similar materials). I may just give up on that idea.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, any flapping is death to the tarp and hard on whatever is under it.

Reactions: Remington
silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I use a golf cart cover when I can't keep it in the shop for whatever reason for a few days at a time. Never when towing.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I have a Rain Gear cab cover for my Gladiator. Pretty nice material, fits over the P500 surprisingly well, and has straps/buckles to hold it on. Haven't tried it on the 520.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
When P-5 is outside for extra shop space I used a Cabelas cover till a 70mph wind day grenaded it. My bad. Really durable till then. 100% waterproof. Use mousetraps if more than a couple days…..

Reactions: Remington
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
20240222 144753

A

Alphabet

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2023
Iron Range, Mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hello, I just ordered a nice travel cover for my 2023 Pioneer 1000-5 from carcoversfactory.com The reviews seemed great. I can’t give you a report as it hasn’t arrived yet. But for the price it doesn’t hurt to try them out.

Reactions: Red500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!