P500 Snow Plow recommendatons for P520

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Finally got it all installed. @The Green Goat was correct: the KFI strap is short. It would be fine if I were just going from the winch to the plow frame. With the roller and doubling the strap back up to the bumper, it's just not enough. I just have a few wraps on of the synthetic rope on the drum when the plow is lowered - the strap just barely gets to the roller fairlead. I only got it that far because I ditched the 12" long soft strap KFI supplies to tie in to the bumper and substituted an old spectra sling I had from my rock climbing days that was about twice as long. This really could use about 2 feet more length on the strap part. I'll be nosing around for something longer. If anyone has a source for a longer strap, please let me know.

The other issue I noticed is that when the winch was mounted on the UTV, they centered the whole winch body on the bumper, rather than centering the drum in the middle of the bumper. It's not an issue for normal winching, but it causes the strap to run all the way to one side and rub on the fairlead support bracket. I'll probably be relocating the winch in order to center the drum.

I did not get pictures of the finished project. Maybe tomorrow.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
What did you do to connect it to the winch drum?

I just taped it and wrapped it onto itself. I haven't had any issues, yet. I'm not using much of it though so I don't get down to the end. Warn does make a strap with a bit of rope attached, but the strap isn't very long.

ETA: Here's the same thing from KFI

ETA, Again.... Oh, I see you might be using one of those already?

ETA, one more time... here is one 16' long from Bass Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: John Mc
J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Finally got enough snow to make it worth trying out the new KFI plow. The total storm was about 8". I made a pass about halfway through the storm to see how things were working. I'm glad I went with the 66" plow. The P520 handled it with no problem.

I put square-link, diamond-pattern chains on the rear tires, which seem to be working well. I won't know for sure if that was the right choice until the steep section of our driveway ices up. The square link chain is supposed to grip better than the same chain pattern made from round link chains, but it's not as tough on pavement as the studded diamond patter chains.

I did put a 75# bag of sand in the back. I think if this were really heavy, wet snow, I might want another bag back there. Though with the really heavy storms, I'll still use the snowblower on my tractor.

I do need to figure out something to keep the windshield clear. Reaching around the side of the windshield every once in a while with a snow brush/scraper gets old after a bit.

The snow really messes with the auto-focus on the camera.
Plowing with P520

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Finally got enough snow to make it worth trying out the new KFI plow. The total storm was about 8". I made a pass about halfway through the storm to see how things were working. I'm glad I went with the 66" plow. The P520 handled it with no problem.

I put square-link, diamond-pattern chains on the rear tires, which seem to be working well. I won't know for sure if that was the right choice until the steep section of our driveway ices up. The square link chain is supposed to grip better than the same chain pattern made from round link chains, but it's not as tough on pavement as the studded diamond patter chains.

I did put a 75# bag of sand in the back. I think if this were really heavy, wet snow, I might want another bag back there. Though with the really heavy storms, I'll still use the snowblower on my tractor.

I do need to figure out something to keep the windshield clear. Reaching around the side of the windshield every once in a while with a snow brush/scraper gets old after a bit.

The snow really messes with the auto-focus on the camera.
View attachment 414022
Glad it worked out for you. these things are great for pushing snow.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Well, the KFI 66" poly plow on my P520 finally got a real workout Saturday. We had a 15" snow storm here. Normally, I would use the tractor and snowblower on snow that deep, but the neighbors with whom I share a drive recently had some gravel put down. I did not want to risk picking up the gravel with the snowblower, so tried it with the P520. I did add another bag of sand in back for a total of about 130 lbs. I made a pass once it got to about 12" deep. It handled it just fine on the straightaways, and have no trouble tracking, even with the plow angled. Making turns to go around the loop in the driveway at each house took some doing, since the UTV did not want to turn much against the angle of the plow. I probably should have raised the plow a couple of inches it to get some weight on the front wheels, then come back for a second pass once the worst was cleared. Sorry, no pictures - I was focused on clearing the storm.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!