P500 Noise reduction on P520

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi everyone.
It's been a while since I checked out this site. I've had my 520 since ,21 and I love it more everyday. Have done some mods, most of which came from this site. In pursuit of trying to make it more quiet I accidentally stumbled upon a stupid easy mod that I wanted to share.
So for the sake of discussion I have installed a rubber mat under the seats, also experimented with snorkel/intake and additional foam in various places to reduce noise. Tried putting an extra muffler behind the stock exhaust and took it off after finding it awkward and bulky. And quite honestly I was disappointed in the sound with the muffler. The "little mod" I did to exhaust actually made it quieter than the muffler. Here it is....just a little extension on the muffler tip. Yes I experimented with different lengths.

PXL 20240203 215510106 PXL 20240203 215457156

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Opened up exhaust to 2inch </> removed 2 Baffels </> drilled 8 --1/2 Holes in the 3rd Baffel.
Lowered only 2/4 Dcebel -- & changes to DEEP Mellow Tone

ADDED --18inch Tailpipe ( Vary NOTICEABLE Difference )
"" LOWERED "" </> NOISE LEVEL --10/12 Decibel -- ( depending on RPM ) -- & changes to Mellow Tone

MEASURED WITH -- Smart Sensor Digital Sound Level Meter ST9604
Without re-taking readings ( if memory is working ) 90/ 92 --) down to -- 80/ 78

Have Done On:
FYI: ( All -- gained Better Mid Range Power -- when Done with Snorkle)
P500
P520
P700

All -- have under seat rubber barrier & commercial grade rubber back carpet for insulation. ( BEFORE Exhaust changes ) never measured before under seat changes )

Moral of the Story TAILPIPE "DOES" Help Noise Reduction. & ( Does NOT-- Loose Power -- like 2 mufflers )
A little Trickey with working dumpbox. ( room restriction's )

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Opened up exhaust to 2inch </> removed 2 Baffels </> drilled 8 --1/2 Holes in the 3rd Baffel.
Lowered only 2/4 Dcebel -- & changes to DEEP Mellow Tone

ADDED --18inch Tailpipe ( Vary NOTICEABLE Difference )
"" LOWERED "" </> NOISE LEVEL --10/12 Decibel -- ( depending on RPM ) -- & changes to Mellow Tone

MEASURED WITH -- Smart Sensor Digital Sound Level Meter ST9604
Without re-taking readings ( if memory is working ) 90/ 92 --) down to -- 80/ 78

Have Done On:
FYI: ( All -- gained Better Mid Range Power -- when Done with Snorkle)
P500
P520
P700

All -- have under seat rubber barrier & commercial grade rubber back carpet for insulation. ( BEFORE Exhaust changes ) never measured before under seat changes )

Moral of the Story TAILPIPE "DOES" Help Noise Reduction. & ( Does NOT-- Loose Power -- like 2 mufflers )
A little Trickey with working dumpbox. ( room restriction's )
How did you remove the baffle? When you say you opened up exhaust, did you cut the muffler open?

Reactions: pappyo
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
All done from back of muffler With Out Removing.
Purchase
1-- yamaha aluminum muffle new tip -- online
( purchased at Ford Tractor Dealer. ) 1 -- vary large Flat Washerbig enough to fit new tip.

Remove Muffler Hear Shield ( will have to trim alittle when ready to put back on )
Using Saber Saw -- With GOOD metal cutting Blade
Cut 3/4 Out let pipe off muffler
Drill a hole big enough for Saw blade
Curt hole just a little SMALLER than OD of New Washer( going to weld washer here later )

For Warned Next Step is -- Royal pain in the Tush -- Wear Gloves
"Sharp" Long Chisel </> carefully </> little at a time </> trim rest of 3/4 pipe & Remove 2 baffles.

You will be at ☆ Star Burst Baffel. ☆
Need extra long drill bits. & long center punch
Start small & Drill 1/2 hole between every other point of ☆ at outer diameter

Open up the center of large Flat Washer to match ID of New Tip. ( Donot weld on at this
Align the tip on Washer mark. & Drill holes -- put bolts through back side of washer
( Align tip&bolts weld head of bolt to back of washer )

Check how your going to locate & 《 attach tailpipe if going to use one.》at Same time locate Washer & tip on the muffler
Last step depicts the Angle the New Tip Needs to be at.
Time to spot weld.
Check Fit-- Recheck -- check some more before finish welding.

FYI: Made a gasket for tip to washer
used a SS sink strainer for Spark Arestor
High Temp PAINT

Have a Excellent Memory -- But it DOES Leak

Reactions: stobiadas

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!