P500 TP Sensor/Sensor Wiring

DK54

DK54

Aug 28, 2015
North Texas
Ownership

1. 500
(sorry for the long post)
Well I have a cautionary tale and a way to fix it if your not so cautious... I took my P500 out to the deer lease and left it in an old barn so it was so covered and out of the rain. But of course the mice or rats or whatever other little hellacious critters got into my Honda. It wasn't out there for a week before they did the damage. But I didn't know it until two weeks later when I needed the Honda to help me carry a deer back to camp to get it cleaned and quartered. When I went to start it it cranked just fine and I noticed the yellow caution light flashing but they eh its freezing i just need to let it run for a bit and warm up. Except that didn't work. The flashing didn't change but after about 10 minutes of running I climbed in and tried to shift gears but nothing happened. Tried reverse, 1st, but nothing couldn't get it out of neutral. So i decided to give it some gas and help warm it up but it immediately died. I thought great now i got to throw this doe over my shoulders and start hiking, which i did. Once I got home I called around and checked the web (grossly underwhelming i might add) and finally figured out from the blinking code I was getting that I was dealing with a TP Sensor issue. I was also told it was highly unlikely it was out but the wiring had probably been chewed up by some mice. (multiple sources: Polaris Dealer in Mckinney and a good friend of mine in Greenville named Corey who sold me the Honda and sells ATVs and has some great guys in his shop!!)

If you run into this here are the steps to getting to this sensor and checking your wiring connections.

Before you do anything disconnect the battery.

Then you have to take off the back rack and plastic. I learned the hard way you can do all of this by removing 8 bolts and none of the plastic push pins. Pretty much there are 4 "post" with yellow painted bolts used a 12 socket to get them out and I did strip one so maybe some WD-40 before you begin would be a good idea or the Grip TIte socket sets. You will have to cut the zip ties holding up the brake light wiring and then disconnect the brake light.

Once you pull that off the sensor is sitting directly underneath your air filter casing. There is one bolt in the front of the air filter casing on the passenger side. On the same side there is a discharge tube that runs straight down that is held in by two clips pop those off and loosen the tube. There are also two pins in the rear of the casing that just pop straight out. There is one more hose that runs from the air filter to engine and I was unsuccessful in removing it but that is probably for the better because I doubt I could have gotten back on.

So basically now you can just lift the air filter partially from the passenger side and see a wiring harness that has three clips and three connections to the engine. the TP sensor is the one directly on the side on the drivers side. Another is toward the cab and another directly on top. Have to pop all three clips off to get to it and once you have you can sort of work the wire down and back towards the battery on the passenger side to give you some room to work with. I personally sat on the back passenger wheel while working on it and it gave me a pretty good position. Im a pretty big guy so you skinny fellas will have much more room.

For me, like I said it was rodent damage. I peeled away all the chewed plastic repaired the wire taped it up plugged it back in and I was up and running. I hope this helps some of y'all out there it took me two days to cautiously work my way around the Honda and get it fixed.

Pictures I added are as follows.
One of the four beams holding in the back rack
The Honda with the Rack and plastic off
The TP Sensor under the air filter
My chewed wiring harness
My fixed wiring harness

IMG 6431

IMG 4178
IMG 9733
IMG 1775
IMG 4951

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well I have a cautionary tale and a way to fix it if your not so cautious... I took my P500 out to the deer lease and left it in an old barn so it was so covered and out of the rain. But of course the mice or rats or whatever other little hellacious critters got into my Honda. It wasn't out there for a week before they did the damage. But I didn't know it until two weeks later when I needed the Honda to help me carry a deer back to camp to get it cleaned and quartered. When I went to start it it cranked just fine and I noticed the yellow caution light flashing but they eh its freezing i just need to let it run for a bit and warm up. Except that didn't work. The flashing didn't change but after about 10 minutes of running I climbed in and tried to shift gears but nothing happened. Tried reverse, 1st, but nothing couldn't get it out of neutral. So i decided to give it some gas and help warm it up but it immediately died. I thought great now i got to throw this doe over my shoulders and start hiking, which i did. Once I got home I called around and checked the web (grossly underwhelming i might add) and finally figured out from the blinking code I was getting that I was dealing with a TP Sensor issue. I was also told it was highly unlikely it was out but the wiring had probably been chewed up by some mice. (multiple sources: Polaris Dealer in Mckinney and a good friend of mine in Greenville named Corey who sold me the Honda and sells ATVs and has some great guys in his shop!!)

If you run into this here are the steps to getting to this sensor and checking your wiring connections.

Then you have to take off the back rack and plastic. I learned the hard way you can do all of this by removing 8 bolts and none of the plastic push pins. Pretty much there are 4 "post" with yellow painted bolts used a 12 socket to get them out and I did strip one so maybe some WD-40 before you begin would be a good idea or the Grip TIte socket sets. You will have to cut the zip ties holding up the brake light wiring and then disconnect the brake light.

Once you pull that off the sensor is sitting directly underneath your air filter casing. There is one bolt in the front of the air filter casing on the passenger side. On the same side there is a discharge tube that runs straight down that is held in by two clips pop those off and loosen the tube. There are also two pins in the rear of the casing that just pop straight out. There is one more hose that runs from the air filter to engine and I was unsuccessful in removing it but that is probably for the better because I doubt I could have gotten back on.

So basically now you can just lift the air filter partially from the passenger side and see a wiring harness that has three clips and three connections to the engine. the TP sensor is the one directly on the side on the drivers side. Another is toward the cab and another directly on top. Have to pop all three clips off to get to it and once you have you can sort of work the wire down and back towards the battery on the passenger side to give you some room to work with. I personally sat on the back passenger wheel while working on it and it gave me a pretty good position. Im a pretty big guy so you skinny fellas will have much more room.

For me, like I said it was rodent damage. I peeled away all the chewed plastic repaired the wire taped it up plugged it back in and I was up and running. I hope this helps some of y'all out there it took me two days to cautiously work my way around the Honda and get it fixed.

My chewed wiring harness
My fixed wiring harness

View attachment 31282
View attachment 31283View attachment 31284View attachment 31285View attachment 31286

Ohhh, I'd be pissed! I'd have two cat's living out there and poison positioned all over after that.
Glad to hear you got it fixed though.

Reactions: DK54
J

Jshell3

My chewed wiring harness
My fixed wiring harness

View attachment 31282
View attachment 31283View attachment 31284View attachment 31285View attachment 31286
Good write up!

Electrical doesn't come easy for a lot of us... So I appreciate the effort in putting this down.
Thanks for that.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice write up thanks for the heads up. Little buggers, carpet bomb the barn with warfarin. I took 12" long by 2" diameter black ABS tubing, afixed SS air craft cable inside the tube so I could wire on warfarin blocks. In this way the vermin can't pack off the tube and only rats and mice can get at the warfarin inside the tube.

Thanks again,

j

DK54

DK54

Aug 28, 2015
North Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Good write up!

Electrical doesn't come easy for a lot of us... So I appreciate the effort in putting this down.
Thanks for that.
Doesn't come easy for me all to often but you know what they say, blind squirrel..yada yada.

DK54

DK54

Aug 28, 2015
North Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Nice write up thanks for the heads up. Little buggers, carpet bomb the barn with warfarin. I took 12" long by 2" diameter black ABS tubing, afixed SS air craft cable inside the tube so I could wire on warfarin blocks. In this way the vermin can't pack off the tube and only rats and mice can get at the warfarin inside the tube.

Thanks again,

j
Interesting... I've made my own traps for years with a 5 gallon bucket and suspended coke bottle and have caught over a hundred mice/rats between coops and barns at our place. Just hadn't used this particular barn in so long I was asking for trouble when I stored it.

sfmccormick

sfmccormick

Mar 12, 2016
Western Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks again,

j

Interesting... I've made my own traps for years with a 5 gallon bucket and suspended coke bottle and have caught over a hundred mice/rats between coops and barns at our place. Just hadn't used this particular barn in so long I was asking for trouble when I stored it.

Pics of both traps would be great!

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I'm the third this happened to? The exact same wires... strange...

IMG 7785

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!