Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know some folks are pretty well determined to have their coffee no matter where they go. I use a Jetboil for trail meals and I think joey tried out the coffee press but wasn't impressed....

I saw this cup at REI the other day and thought some folks might me interested. It looks well made and I think it would do the job with some hot water. Put the coffee in the outer mug and add water. The inner mug has a filter screen on bottom and a seal. Just press it in and coffee fills the inner mug.

GSI Outdoors Commuter Java Press - 15 fl. oz. | REI Co-op

If anyone else has tried some trail solutions to making coffee feel free to add. I was at Acme tool and saw a "job site" coffee maker that used K cups. However I was disappointed to find it still needed a plug in and was not battery operated.

@joeymt33 and @ohanacreek didn't you both try some coffee presses? I'm not that hell bent on coffee but I know some other folks in the club sure are.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I later found out that the JetBoil press sealed better after it was warmed up. Also I found out it doesn’t get grains in the coffee if I pour it through the strainer versus pressing the strainer down to the bottom of the cup. I’m sure there are better out there because I’m still not very impressed but now that I know there needs to be special operating instructions, it will get the job.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@PioneerPete and @Neohio

Are well prepared for trail coffee

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know some folks are pretty well determined to have their coffee no matter where they go. I use a Jetboil for trail meals and I think joey tried out the coffee press but wasn't impressed....

I saw this cup at REI the other day and thought some folks might me interested. It looks well made and I think it would do the job with some hot water. Put the coffee in the outer mug and add water. The inner mug has a filter screen on bottom and a seal. Just press it in and coffee fills the inner mug.

If anyone else has tried some trail solutions to making coffee feel free to add. I was at Acme tool and saw a "job site" coffee maker that used K cups. However I was disappointed to find it still needed a plug in and was not battery operated.

@joeymt33 and @ohanacreek didn't you both try some coffee presses? I'm not that hell bent on coffee but I know some other folks in the club sure are.
If I read that right it requires hot water being poured into it. Since it requires making hot water first, don't much beat the old drip coffee pot. I have 2 like this, one stainless, and a cheaper aluminum that we packed 12 miles into the wilderness elk hunting 3 yrs ago. They do an excellent job. Stainless Steel Drip Coffee Maker

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have GSI Outdoors JavaPress works well with the JetBoils boil speed, as its a french press instead of a drip.

J

JTW

EF096DE5 25ED 4656 B495 6F151C3E812F

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I concur with Glock!
I had the Aeropress at Overland, Makes a decent cup if you take the time to let it steep.

I brought it to Mulberry as well. It was cold when we arrived waiting on people to show up, fired up the jetboil. and made a few cups for the wife and I.

I used the scoop from the aeropress and divided my coffee into little vacuum seal bags. Grab one, cut the top off and let it steep.
I also did the same with the powdered creamer and sugar in the amounts I like for my coffee.

With the Aeropress, I try to let the coffee steep for 5 minutes. Then add hot water to my cup to dilute the strength a bit. I know it is not proper, but it works for me.

You don't need to pack the entire Aeropress kit either. Just make sure it fits into the cup you plan to use, if it won't, bring the funnel with you.

And don't follow the included instructions on making it.
Place it upside down, add grounds, add water, wet the filter and stick it to the lid. then let it sit like that for as long as you want it to brew. Then place it over your mug and slowly press the plunger. They recommend a 20-25 second plunge I believe.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I concur with Glock!
I had the Aeropress at Overland, Makes a decent cup if you take the time to let it steep.

I brought it to Mulberry as well. It was cold when we arrived waiting on people to show up, fired up the jetboil. and made a few cups for the wife and I.

I used the scoop from the aeropress and divided my coffee into little vacuum seal bags. Grab one, cut the top off and let it steep.
I also did the same with the powdered creamer and sugar in the amounts I like for my coffee.

With the Aeropress, I try to let the coffee steep for 5 minutes. Then add hot water to my cup to dilute the strength a bit. I know it is not proper, but it works for me.

You don't need to pack the entire Aeropress kit either. Just make sure it fits into the cup you plan to use, if it won't, bring the funnel with you.

And don't follow the included instructions on making it.
Place it upside down, add grounds, add water, wet the filter and stick it to the lid. then let it sit like that for as long as you want it to brew. Then place it over your mug and slowly press the plunger. They recommend a 20-25 second plunge I believe.
Thats a good idea putting the coffee in vacuum seal bags

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats a good idea putting the coffee in vacuum seal bags
I bought some little 3x5 bags years ago when i smoked 30lbs of cheese. The cheese ended up being too large for the bag, so I used them for coffee. It is nicer than having to carry a larger package of coffee and worry about keeping it sealed and elements out of it.

J

JTW

No! No! No!
I present....trail coffee...the right way.
AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker with Tote Bag and 350 Additional Filters - Quickly Makes Delicious Coffee without Bitterness - 1 to 3 Cups Per Press https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZD3QJC/?tag=sxsweb24-20
View attachment 112406
BLACK RIFLE COFFEE COMPANY – Black Rifle Coffee Company

View attachment 112408
Oh my gay.... beard, esspresso and a cute little coffee press for when you’re in the “woods”... :rolleyes:

I think we’re wintessing the creation of a liberal! Next thing ya know he’ll be wearing skinny jeans, glasses without lenses and a “vote for Bernie” shirt, with one of those cute little toboggans

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh my gay.... beard, esspresso and a cute little coffee press for when you’re in the “woods”... :rolleyes:

I think we’re wintessing the creation of a liberal! Next thing ya know he’ll be wearing skinny jeans, glasses without lenses and a “vote for Bernie” shirt, with one of those cute little toboggans
Seems i remember seeing someone in skinny jeans. Hmmmm....

Id be damn cute in a toboggan though!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!