Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was asked to share how I do trail meals and what is needed. My meals are always hot and ready in about 5-10 minutes. I don't mind a ham sandwich and granola bar but when its 40 degrees out riding it sure is nice to eat something Hot!

I use this same set up in my duck blind, deer stand, camping, riding, and I keep it in my truck for emergencies.

Now this food isn't like going to the local Italian joint but it is actually pretty good. Its a MAJOR improvement from what it was when I was backpacking the mountains in boy scouts.

Also this is not a Military style MRE. It is MUCH better than an MRE.

What you need: I will post links at the end.
1. Jet boil
2. bottle of water
3. meal in a bag. I like Mountain house or Wise Company
4. A spoon

Steps to a hot meal:
1. Boil water. most meals require 2 cups/16oz. You'll notice most packs of water bottles are 16.9 oz. bottles. Close enough, pour it all in there. A jet boil will have it rolling in under 2 minutes.
2. Set bag of food on level surface and open
3. Pour in boiling water. Just hold the top of the bag so it doesn't fall over. Not the bottom, you'll burn yourself.
4. Stir it really well. be sure all the seasoning is mixed in and not stuck to the side or bottom.
5. reseal the bag and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. This does the cooking of noodles and such.
6. Open and enjoy a hot meal! :)
BONUS: carry a can of chicken to add to the meal and its even better!

Options for cooking. Make sure you get one that is 1 liter. That way all the parts fit inside the cup.

Here are the 2 I recommend. Click the link
1. MSR Windburner
This is top of the line. It will keep a flame in any environment no matter what the wind. It works NO MATTER WHAT. Is it necessary for trail riding? eh probably not.
61lqOls3GTL SX425
2. Jetboil Flash
This is what I have. It works great. you do have to be aware of the wind at times when getting it to light but once its lit I have never had the flame blown out.
81Mmrh21w2L SL1500

Either of these are great little stoves for meals on the go. Everything stores inside the cup.

Food:
EDIT: I BECAME A VENDOR FOR WISE COMPANY. I did this to help folks on the forum save some money. I can have it direct shipped to you and beat any other prices. Just send me a message.

Wise Company <---Link They say 2 servings and they work for 2 people if you have a little something on the side. If you eat one yourself ( like me ) you will be FULL!

The Wise food all comes in the same bag material. The red bags are designed for camping and have a ziplock top. The other bags can be cooked in as well they just don't have a ziplock top so cooking trail side is a little tougher.

I also carry this little SPORK. It works great!

Clean up is super easy. You only need to wipe off your spork since the pot only had water in it.

Once you're done eating, any garbage, wet wipes, chicken can, etc can all fit in the bag the food came in and be zipped shut.

@Ragnar406 @JTW @ohanacreek @Kilo427

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let me tell you, Seeing this in action was an eye-opener. By the time I finished my lunchable this dude went and cooked up chicken alfredo pasta trailside. You should have seen the ladies all over him trying to get some! This is going in my overland package before my next adventure.
Thanks for sharing @Cuoutdoors

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me tell you, Seeing this in action was an eye-opener. By the time I finished my lunchable this dude went and cooked up chicken alfredo pasta trailside. You should have seen the ladies all over him trying to get some! This is going in my overland package before my next adventure.
Thanks for sharing @Cuoutdoors

It wasn’t just the ladies the smell of that hot food had the guys drooling and wondering where it all went wrong in our lives.

J

JTW

I already keep the food as my emergency stash to eat cold but I was clueless on how to heat the water efficiently. This little setup has changed how I’ll pack meals for rides. Instead of messing with sandwiches.. this is how I’ll roll.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many meals can I cook on a can of fuel?

Reactions: BWAF
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was asked to share how I do trail meals and what is needed. My meals are always hot and ready in about 5-10 minutes. I don't mind a ham sandwich and granola bar but when its 40 degrees out riding it sure is nice to eat something Hot!

I use this same set up in my duck blind, deer stand, camping, riding, and I keep it in my truck for emergencies.

Now this food isn't like going to the local Italian joint but it is actually pretty good. Its a MAJOR improvement from what it was when I was backpacking the mountains in boy scouts.

1. Jet boil
2. bottle of water
4. A spoon

Steps to a hot meal:
1. Boil water. most meals require 2 cups/16oz. You'll notice most packs of water bottles are 16.9 oz. bottles. Close enough, pour it all in there. A jet boil will have it rolling in under 2 minutes.
3. Pour in boiling water. Just hold the top of the bag so it doesn't fall over. Not the bottom, you'll burn yourself.
4. Stir it really well. be sure all the seasoning is mixed in and not stuck to the side or bottom.
5. reseal the bag and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. This does the cooking of noodles and such.

Options for cooking. Make sure you get one that is 1 liter. That way all the parts fit inside the cup.

1. MSR Windburner
This is top of the line. It will keep a flame in any environment no matter what the wind. It works NO MATTER WHAT. Is it necessary for trail riding? eh probably not.
View attachment 73477
2. Jetboil Flash
This is what I have. It works great. you do have to be aware of the wind at times when getting it to light but once its lit I have never had the flame blown out.
View attachment 73478

Either of these are great little stoves for meals on the go. Everything stores inside the cup.

Food:

Wise Company <---Link These are like $4.99 where I buy them locally. They say 2 servings which is really enough for one person. Also make sure you get the meals that can be cooked in the bag. Some of them the bags aren't made to pour the water into.

Clean up is super easy. You only need to wipe off your spork since the pot only had water in it.

Once you're done eating, any garbage, wet wipes, chicken can, etc can all fit in the bag the food came in and be zipped shut.

I have both of the Sea to Summit titanium spork and spoon. They're about 8" long and are very helpful getting the last bites out of those often deep pouches. I have about 200 pouches but I recently purchased a freeze drier and hopefully will soon be making my own FD meals.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also prefer the MSR Dragonfly stove as it has a built in throttle and can burn up to 3-4 types of fuel unlike Jetboil's proprietary store bought propane cans, which do, BTW make great mushroom clouds of flame when shot in front of a small fire....

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I also prefer the MSR Dragonfly stove as it has a built in throttle and can burn up to 3-4 types of fuel unlike Jetboil's proprietary store bought propane cans, which do, BTW make great mushroom clouds of flame when shot in front of a small fire....
The 2 models I posted will use the same can of isopropane.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  • MSR Dragonfly
  • Burns white gas, kerosene, unleaded auto fuel, diesel, and jet fuel.
  • 61rgSVymXEL SX355

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anything from MSR is a great product. I posted the 2 because they are self contained and very easy to use. No fuel to leak anywhere and it has its own pot for everything to fit inside.

I'm just trying to keep it simple but there certainly LOTS of options if people want to get real serious.
  • MSR Dragonfly
  • View attachment 73486

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1. Jet boil
2. bottle of water
4. A spoon

Steps to a hot meal:

1. MSR Windburner
View attachment 73477
2. Jetboil Flash
View attachment 73478

Food:

Wise Company <---Link These are like $4.99 where I buy them locally. They say 2 servings which is really enough for one person. Also make sure you get the meals that can be cooked in the bag. Some of them the bags aren't made to pour the water into.

Great write up - I know you have been recommending one of these to me since Overland and I have to say this is pretty perfect for the trail
If you were to buy again which one would you get?

What are your favorite meals you have found?

Pretty soon we are going to have to have a sub forum for Gourmet trail food and camp cooking

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anything from MSR is a great product. I posted the 2 because they are self contained and very easy to use. No fuel to leak anywhere and it has its own pot for everything to fit inside.

I'm just trying to keep it simple but there certainly LOTS of options if people want to get real serious.

I liked mine because of the various options for fuels esp if you run out of the isopropane for the Jetboil and or its a great prepper item. Nice to have options. Thanks for starting this thread

Reactions: BWAF and Cuoutdoors
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Jetboil in my cart on Amazon! Thanks for sharing!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  • MSR Dragonfly
  • View attachment 73486
I have a stove similar to this one that Is really good for backpacking and cooking a bigger meal. I think the attraction of a stove like @Cuoutdoors has is that is compact and able to be deployed and cleaned up quickly. All in a small footprint.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Great write up - I know you have been recommending one of these to me since Overland and I have to say this is pretty perfect for the trail
If you were to buy again which one would you get?

What are your favorite meals you have found?

Pretty soon we are going to have to have a sub forum for Gourmet trail food and camp cooking
And making fresh coffee on the trail!

advertisement