Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Condition an price?

Well thats a good question. I'm having a little bit of second thoughts....I didn't realize this/forgot but the MSR does not come with a built in igniter and the Jetboil does... I may just stick with the jet boil so I don't have to worry about matches or a lighter. :/ I kind of forgot about that part. They both have their pros and cons. Its a tough call now.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was asked about using the units for more than just meals in a bag. Here is some additional info you may find useful. Like someone said, this may turn into a tread about gourmet trail meals. I'm cool with that, I like to eat :)

I've been toying with the idea of just what you said, using a pan. My main worry is they put out such an intense amount of heat I don't want to burn everything I try to cook. The burners ARE adjustable just like a gas stove top but even turned down can still be intense. I'd like to find something like a small 6" pan with a heavy bottom that would heat fairly evenly. There are other little burners that may be better suited for such an endeavor. Kinda like the one 100acre posted. Or, I could throw in something like this small pan and extra burner and not take a lot more room by still using the same fuel can.
10368 msr windburner stove system combo

Jetboil also makes a very viable option that is pretty slick.
Pan SetUp wStabilizer 2

It is certainly nice to have options and If I were doing it for a full week the meals in a bag can get old. The biggest reasons I like the bags are, they're fast, decent flavor, and essentially no clean up. Just wipe off the spoon and everything else is in the bag to go in the garbage. I also take plenty of extra food so if someone is short or didn't bring something I can whip one up quickly and easily.

We are really just scratching the surface on possibilities here, as most things go in the world today the options are endless. :)

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I saw coffee mentioned. Remember that green steel bottle your grandpa took fishing? Grandpa here still has the one that he got almost 30 yrs ago. It's a Stanley and it's built for life.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was asked to share how I do trail meals and what is needed. My meals are always hot and ready in about 5-10 minutes. I don't mind a ham sandwich and granola bar but when its 40 degrees out riding it sure is nice to eat something Hot!

I use this same set up in my duck blind, deer stand, camping, riding, and I keep it in my truck for emergencies.

Now this food isn't like going to the local Italian joint but it is actually pretty good. Its a MAJOR improvement from what it was when I was backpacking the mountains in boy scouts.

Also this is not a Military style MRE. It is MUCH better than an MRE.

What you need: I will post links at the end.
1. Jet boil
2. bottle of water
3. meal in a bag. I like Mountain house or Wise Company
4. A spoon

Steps to a hot meal:
1. Boil water. most meals require 2 cups/16oz. You'll notice most packs of water bottles are 16.9 oz. bottles. Close enough, pour it all in there. A jet boil will have it rolling in under 2 minutes.
2. Set bag of food on level surface and open
3. Pour in boiling water. Just hold the top of the bag so it doesn't fall over. Not the bottom, you'll burn yourself.
4. Stir it really well. be sure all the seasoning is mixed in and not stuck to the side or bottom.
5. reseal the bag and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. This does the cooking of noodles and such.
6. Open and enjoy a hot meal! :)
BONUS: carry a can of chicken to add to the meal and its even better!

Options for cooking. Make sure you get one that is 1 liter. That way all the parts fit inside the cup.

Here are the 2 I recommend. Click the link
1. MSR Windburner
This is top of the line. It will keep a flame in any environment no matter what the wind. It works NO MATTER WHAT. Is it necessary for trail riding? eh probably not.
View attachment 73477
2. Jetboil Flash
This is what I have. It works great. you do have to be aware of the wind at times when getting it to light but once its lit I have never had the flame blown out.
View attachment 73478

Either of these are great little stoves for meals on the go. Everything stores inside the cup.

Food:

Wise Company <---Link These are like $4.99 where I buy them locally. They say 2 servings which is really enough for one person. Also make sure you get the meals that can be cooked in the bag. Some of them the bags aren't made to pour the water into.

I also carry this little SPORK. It works great!

Clean up is super easy. You only need to wipe off your spork since the pot only had water in it.

Once you're done eating, any garbage, wet wipes, chicken can, etc can all fit in the bag the food came in and be zipped shut.

@Ragnar406 @JTW @ohanacreek @Kilo427
I have thought about throwing my back pack w/ tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, water filter in the back of Rooster while riding by my self, in case of break down or just a cool spot to camp.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have thought about throwing my back pack w/ tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, water filter in the back of Rooster while riding by my self, in case of break down or just a cool spot to camp.
I always carry my Drifter2 tent on my long excursions as well as emergency blankets rations etc.

advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like the concept but I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify it.
That's exactly what I thought until I bought one. I use it a lot. For $100 it's worth the money and I use it far more than I ever thought I would.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most adjust but some have a regulator and not just an adjustable valve. Mine can control the flame but no regulator.....not sure of the difference....I think ones with a reg will simmer better...
Adjustable heat, cup is easier to eat from, as it’s wider and the handles on the cup make it more user friendly. They say you can cook meals vs being limited to just boiling water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and BWAF