• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Trailering the Talon loaded backwards

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by cummins14, Aug 27, 2019.

1. cummins14

cummins14 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I've searched the forum and haven't found a Talon specific recommendation regarding trailering the machine when loaded backwards on a trailer. I have to load my machine backwards to get my tongue weight correct and keep the trailer from swaying. I noticed on my first trip with the Talon that the rear leading edge of the factory plastic roof panel was really vibrating or flexing up and down from the wind. I took all back roads and stayed under 60mph as 65+ really made it seem like it would fly off. Anyone else experience this or know of a way to alleviate the problem other than removing the roof? Thanks

BWAF likes this.
  2. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    BWAF likes this.
  3. Dfoy08

Dfoy08 New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I've towed mine both ways without any major problems. The one thing that did happen while towing it backwards is the cover for the fuses thats between the seats popped off and flew down the road. So just watch out for that so you don't lose it.

BWAF likes this.
  4. Someguy

Someguy Active Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I have to ask what kind of trailer do you have that you have to load it backwards? Is the Axel in the middle of the trailer. Most trailers have a Axel behind center for the reason of increasing weight on the tounge.. Can you put a sorage box on the front of your trailer on the tounge? Considering the design of the roof, being higher in the back, pulling backwards at highway speeds could damage the roof. You can find good used trailers, for less than $1000. Then sell your old one, then it doesn't hurt so bad. I don't know your situation, so don't take it personal. Just trying to help.

popeye and BWAF like this.
  5. DRKnight

DRKnight Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    BWAF and Bigshow like this.
  6. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

That's the reason Honda supposedly put those holes in the roof to allow it be towed backwards.

CumminsPusher and Sheetmetalfab like this.
  7. my99svt

my99svt I identify as a lesbian
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    The one I tow backwards has an aftermarket cage and roof. I would be no help.

Landman and CumminsPusher like this.
  8. bjniceguy

bjniceguy Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    6 screws and put roof in pickup (assuming have cover on pickup).

CumminsPusher likes this.
  9. cummins14

cummins14 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X

I actually tow both on a 8.5x20 tandem axle open trailer. I also use my 6x12 open if I am only hauling one Talon. Both trailers have awful sway if I tow with them loaded forward as the weight of the engine etc is at the rear of the utv and my tongue weight becomes nonexistent. When a unit is pulled on forward on the single axle trailer, it would sway wildly above 50mph. Once the vehicle is turned around backwards, you could drive at 75mph with straight line tracking and zero sway. Same situation on the tandem axle unless loaded in reverse.

10. cummins14

cummins14 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I thought that I have read that somewhere else, but wasn't sure. Thanks

CumminsPusher likes this.
  11. Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
  12. cummins14

cummins14 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I tried that first and it did help, but the sway was still there although at a little higher speed.

Sheetmetalfab likes this.
  13. Someguy

Someguy Active Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    That explains it. TWO TALON'S. Nice. Two 10ft long Talons on a20ft trailer leaves few options. One thing that might help, hard to judge from the pic. It looks like possibly the front of the trailer is higher than the back. If that's true try a different ball mount to lower the hitch on the trailer so the trailer is level, or slightly lower on the front , this will shift the weight forward on the truck, and help with sway. Low tire pressure on tow vehicle, and trailer can also cause swaying. I have a 6.5x10 utility/landscape trailer tows 75 no sway.

Bigshow likes this.
  14. my99svt

my99svt I identify as a lesbian
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I too had to turn the first one backwards to stop trailer sway.
    3178528687fb5be319d1a8327968d5d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    try it reversed. front one forward back one backwards. all your doing is shifting weight a different way. also if your trailer is dual axle and nosed down. this will also cause the trailer to sway as your fighting the front wheels instead of having it slightly elevated so it rides more on the back wheels.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16. cummins14

cummins14 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Thanks everyone. I may swap to aluminum roofs which I'm sure would solve the issue. I have also been pondering an 8.5x24 enclosed trailer, but obviously, with the two toys, I have enough in payments! LOL