BOX1

Talon Trailering the Talon loaded backwards

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've searched the forum and haven't found a Talon specific recommendation regarding trailering the machine when loaded backwards on a trailer. I have to load my machine backwards to get my tongue weight correct and keep the trailer from swaying. I noticed on my first trip with the Talon that the rear leading edge of the factory plastic roof panel was really vibrating or flexing up and down from the wind. I took all back roads and stayed under 60mph as 65+ really made it seem like it would fly off. Anyone else experience this or know of a way to alleviate the problem other than removing the roof? Thanks

Reactions: BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looks like @my99svt trailers one of his backwards.

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I've towed mine both ways without any major problems. The one thing that did happen while towing it backwards is the cover for the fuses thats between the seats popped off and flew down the road. So just watch out for that so you don't lose it.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've searched the forum and haven't found a Talon specific recommendation regarding trailering the machine when loaded backwards on a trailer. I have to load my machine backwards to get my tongue weight correct and keep the trailer from swaying. I noticed on my first trip with the Talon that the rear leading edge of the factory plastic roof panel was really vibrating or flexing up and down from the wind. I took all back roads and stayed under 60mph as 65+ really made it seem like it would fly off. Anyone else experience this or know of a way to alleviate the problem other than removing the roof? Thanks
I have to ask what kind of trailer do you have that you have to load it backwards? Is the Axel in the middle of the trailer. Most trailers have a Axel behind center for the reason of increasing weight on the tounge.. Can you put a sorage box on the front of your trailer on the tounge? Considering the design of the roof, being higher in the back, pulling backwards at highway speeds could damage the roof. You can find good used trailers, for less than $1000. Then sell your old one, then it doesn't hurt so bad. I don't know your situation, so don't take it personal. Just trying to help.

Reactions: popeye and BWAF
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have never hauled mine backwards. But I have noticed my roof flopping a lot when going forward on my trailer.
I welded in a support brace from the front to the rear down the center attached to the roll bars and also from side to side at the rear and secured the roof to it.
Took care of the problem.

Reactions: BWAF and Bigshow
cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have to ask what kind of trailer do you have that you have to load it backwards? Is the Axel in the middle of the trailer. Most trailers have a Axel behind center for the reason of increasing weight on the tounge.. Can you put a sorage box on the front of your trailer on the tounge? Considering the design of the roof, being higher in the back, pulling backwards at highway speeds could damage the roof. You can find good used trailers, for less than $1000. Then sell your old one, then it doesn't hurt so bad. I don't know your situation, so don't take it personal. Just trying to help.

I actually tow both on a 8.5x20 tandem axle open trailer. I also use my 6x12 open if I am only hauling one Talon. Both trailers have awful sway if I tow with them loaded forward as the weight of the engine etc is at the rear of the utv and my tongue weight becomes nonexistent. When a unit is pulled on forward on the single axle trailer, it would sway wildly above 50mph. Once the vehicle is
turned around backwards, you could drive at 75mph with straight line tracking and zero sway. Same situation on the tandem axle unless loaded in reverse.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I actually tow both on a 8.5x20 tandem axle open trailer. I also use my 6x12 open if I am only hauling one Talon. Both trailers have awful sway if I tow with them loaded forward as the weight of the engine etc is at the rear of the utv and my tongue weight becomes nonexistent. When a unit is pulled on forward on the single axle trailer, it would sway wildly above 50mph. Once the vehicle is
turned around backwards, you could drive at 75mph with straight line tracking and zero sway. Same situation on the tandem axle unless loaded in reverse.

Have you tried one forward, one backwards?

Might help the double pull situation?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That explains it. TWO TALON'S. Nice. Two 10ft long Talons on a20ft trailer leaves few options. One thing that might help, hard to judge from the pic. It looks like possibly the front of the trailer is higher than the back. If that's true try a different ball mount to lower the hitch on the trailer so the trailer is level, or slightly lower on the front , this will shift the weight forward on the truck, and help with sway. Low tire pressure on tow vehicle, and trailer can also cause swaying. I have a 6.5x10 utility/landscape trailer tows 75 no sway.

Reactions: Bigshow
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I too had to turn the first one backwards to stop trailer sway.
3178528687fb5be319d1a8327968d5d3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
try it reversed. front one forward back one backwards. all your doing is shifting weight a different way. also if your trailer is dual axle and nosed down. this will also cause the trailer to sway as your fighting the front wheels instead of having it slightly elevated so it rides more on the back wheels.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks everyone. I may swap to aluminum roofs which I'm sure would solve the issue. I have also been pondering an 8.5x24 enclosed trailer, but obviously, with the two toys, I have enough in payments! LOL

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the same concern since I’m hoping to use the little 6’x10’ single axle Alumaweld trailer I bought for my RZR 900 Trail to tow the new Talon. Even with the little RZR on the trailer forwards there’s only maybe 30lbs of tongue weight! Surprisingly it still tows very true with the RZR, but I’m sure it will be a different story with the longer and heavier Talon loaded. Especially since the Talon will take every inch of the trailer...and maybe a little more, requiring me to modify the ramp positioning a little when in the up position. Will find out this weekend when it gets delivered!

I did read in Honda’s advertising somewhere that the slotted roof was to allow for rearward towing, but we’ll see. I was thinking about fabing up some sort of strap on wind deflector that can be taken on and off when towing, and would deflect the wind up and over the roof instead of under the roof and through the cab!

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just made a post showing my X loaded backwards on my 6’x10’ trailer. Towed it 50 miles at about 65 mph in a wind storm and it seemed to be just fine. Just make sure the doors are latched and the nets (if installed ) buckled. I’d also suggest removing the key, especially if you have any kind of key ring that will catch wind.

Reactions: Mudwing
cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Finally sold my open trailer and picked up this 8.5x24 enclosed unit, so I will have to experiment with the best loading of the Talons for the balance. I definitely have a bit of tongue weight now and even without weight distributing hitch bars, I don't feel any sway up to 70mph empty. The truck's rear end only dropped 1.25" with the trailer attached which has an empty weight of 3,600lbs. Not sure of the tongue weight unloaded, but I think a little more will actually help the stability and counteract future sway. I am estimating that I will be approaching 7,000lbs loaded as far as the trailer. I was worried that the 1/2 ton truck would be overworked with this set up, but the 6.2v8 and the LT tires pumped up to 60lbs psi diminished my worries. The 9mpg fuel consumption is not very good, but not enough that I will trade a nearly new truck and take a loss to upgrade to a 3/4 ton diesel at this point. I may very well change my mind once I begin towing with the loaded trailer, but I am hoping that will not be the case.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!