BOX1

Trailers, Straps and Avoiding Mishaps...

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
So Being new to the SXS world I thought I would start a conversation about towing, strapping and traveling with your machine in general. We are about to drive four hours tomorrow to pick up my Son, his wife and their Talon then we will be heading another two hours up into the Big Horns. (I know, I will take lots of pics!) We will be pulling both machines up with this Speedloader 20 footer and each machine will get four straps anchored to the front and rear of the frame.
IMG 3202
IMG 3203

The straps are each fully rated at 2000 lbs each. I have been told that is overkill but my 1500 lb straps frayed and so I just didn't want to take any chances.
We have a Toy Hauler that the machine barely fits in and we have hauled it in there once but I learned a valuable lesson on tying the machine down in there. We ran four straps but ran them through the frame like in the picture below. Long story short, when you do this the machine will walk to the torque side. We ended up breaking our window out of the Toy Hauler on the first trip out. (PLEASE DO NOT TIE YOUR MACHINE DOWN LIKE THE PIC BELOW) I haven't tried it again but I am assuming if I use four straps just like I have on the speed loader that it should be fine. Anyhow! love to hear some of your anecdotes, musts and must nots! I would also be interested to hear how everyone tows their machines!
IMG 3093

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As cheap as 2" straps are, I'd never use anything smaller. I'm tying down for the rare emergency, not the expected casual drive. I tie as high on the trailer as possible, I'm not trying to compress the suspension, just locate the buggy (you'll always hit a g-out that compresses it further and then the suspension will slam back against the now loose straps).

Front -

Extra strap neatly coiled -

Rear -

I've since abandoned the axle straps at the corners and gone direct - front -

Rear -

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2k pound straps aren’t over kill. They aren’t enough. Two inch straps minimum for sure. Plan for the accident and forces involved. Think about your seatbelt size and it is only trying to hold an “average” sized adult inside the vehicle in an accident. And yes at some level it is wider to help distribute the forces on your body but those belts still fail sometimes.

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
2k pound straps aren’t over kill. They aren’t enough. Two inch straps minimum for sure. Plan for the accident and forces involved. Think about your seatbelt size and it is only trying to hold an “average” sized adult inside the vehicle in an accident. And yes at some level it is wider to help distribute the forces on your body but those belts still fail sometimes.
Can I get an amen! I totally agree!

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
As cheap as 2" straps are, I'd never use anything smaller. I'm tying down for the rare emergency, not the expected casual drive. I tie as high on the trailer as possible, I'm not trying to compress the suspension, just locate the buggy (you'll always hit a g-out that compresses it further and then the suspension will slam back against the now loose straps).

Front -
View attachment 284669

Extra strap neatly coiled -
View attachment 284674

Rear -
View attachment 284670

I've since abandoned the axle straps at the corners and gone direct - front -
View attachment 284671

Rear -
View attachment 284672
Awesome! Thank you for the pics and detail! I feel like overkill is far better than sorry.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Erickson are the common ones with wheel chocks talked about on here. Similar if not the same under store names can be found though. There are e-track versions as well.

Strapping (true bonnets or just well placed wide straps) over all four tires is my preferred method as well.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Any one used these before? I've heard good things about how fast and secure doing the wheels can be. But Ive never be comfortable going this route. Any feedback?

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
New trailer for my p500, put on e-track rails so the sxs tires and weight is directly on the e-track. Trying this for the first trip on the new trailer. Back wheels are strapped with 2-inch ratchet straps to the e-track. Front wheels are strapped with bonnet straps that proved to be too big for the stock wheels/tires, so their hold is questionable. What I don’t like is the lean of the pioneer on any banked or tilted road. I am thinking to lightly strap higher on roll cage to limit the lean. Thinking about it. There really isn’t any protection in a emergency stop or running off the road. Thousand pound sxs on a thousand pound trailer are going where ever it wants and taking the truck with it. We have all seen photos of trailer crashes which typically total the towing vehicle as well.
B993B34D 01A5 4CB5 ADA2 4DDC18E28012

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There's nothing wrong with the suspension working when tying down like you are, a lean one way or another is simply gravity and physics. With all four corners strapped, you're well secured IMO.

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First time on the road with a new trailer and loaded up, you are like a nervous grandma, anyway. In the rear view mirror you see the sxs leaning even more than the truck, it makes you imagine what could go wrong. I am sure that after 10 or more trips, these fears will vanish and you get more confidence. I have not trailered something this tall and narrow on a small trailer like this. A bigger, heavier trailer seems more stable but they are a nuisance to drive around and back into tight places.

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
New trailer for my p500, put on e-track rails so the sxs tires and weight is directly on the e-track. Trying this for the first trip on the new trailer. Back wheels are strapped with 2-inch ratchet straps to the e-track. Front wheels are strapped with bonnet straps that proved to be too big for the stock wheels/tires, so their hold is questionable. What I don’t like is the lean of the pioneer on any banked or tilted road. I am thinking to lightly strap higher on roll cage to limit the lean. Thinking about it. There really isn’t any protection in a emergency stop or running off the road. Thousand pound sxs on a thousand pound trailer are going where ever it wants and taking the truck with it. We have all seen photos of trailer crashes which typically total the towing vehicle as well.
View attachment 284753
One of the reasons that I wanted to kind of open these communication channels is that most of what you can purchase in my area for straps anyway is something you have to order. It makes it really difficult to gauge if your bonnets will fit or not, or if there is too much strap and hook on the stationary end. There are just too many variables and it sometimes helps to see what others are doing! I can totally see how you would be unsure about the body roll in the corners or on uneven ground. It looks funny to me when the road gets a bit lumpy and then you add the suspension of the machine to the suspension of the trailer. I am pretty sure mine has dance parties sometimes when I am not looking.
Thanks for sharing!

• Haha
Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

Working at 2 different dealerships over the last 13 years ive seen multiple machines arrive at the shop that have left me baffled how they made it here without falling off the trailer or truck.

Everything from leaving a UTV in park with no straps, motorcycles with a strap over the seat and nothing else, bikes in wheel chocks that arent attached to the trailer and even dirtbikes just laying on trailers. People need to be instructed on the proper way to attach their unit to the platform or vehicle their hauling it with.

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
Working at 2 different dealerships over the last 13 years ive seen multiple machines arrive at the shop that have left me baffled how they made it here without falling off the trailer or truck.

Everything from leaving a UTV in park with no straps, motorcycles with a strap over the seat and nothing else, bikes in wheel chocks that arent attached to the trailer and even dirtbikes just laying on trailers. People need to be instructed on the proper way to attach their unit to the platform or vehicle their hauling it with.
I absolutely agree. It should probably be a service that is offered by the DMV or something. Have seen some Monstrosities To be sure!

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was rear ended with my pioneer on the trailer by my brother with his pk1 on the trailer. I've been told the way I strap is over kill. 5 3" straps. Two front two rear and one through the floorboards from side to side. When he hit me it broke a strap on the front of my machine and a strap on the back of his. Neither load move at all. The crash was hard enough to bend the truck frame trailer and hitch. It was scary as hell but showed me that overkill is a good thing.

20190708 084440 20190708 071234 20190708 071306

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
There's nothing wrong with the suspension working when tying down like you are, a lean one way or another is simply gravity and physics. With all four corners strapped, you're well secured IMO.

Not only this, but the suspension of the machine is like added trailer suspension. It rides so much smoother with just the A-arms or tires strapped. I noticed a huge difference the first time I turned off the highway and hit washed out desert roads since I stopped pulling the machines down and compressing the suspension.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!