BOX1

Trailers, Straps and Avoiding Mishaps...

BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee

Jan 4, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any one used these before? I've heard good things about how fast and secure doing the wheels can be. But Ive never be comfortable going this route. Any feedback?
That's what I chose. Rock solid ( it would take a monster of an accident to separate Honda from trailer), but allows the pioneers suspension to handle the bumps.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's what I chose. Rock solid ( it would take a monster of an accident to separate Honda from trailer), but allows the pioneers suspension to handle the bumps.

Good to hear. After reading a bunch more, it sounds like this is the best route. Other comments that you will see some additional ride comfort while off road due to the suspension being able to react to the trailer's movement vs be held solid to the trailer with suspension being either loaded or limited. Thanks for the reply. I got my order put in today!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little read on the requirements for straps on heavy loads.

Technically you are required to have 2 straps on loads under 10000# one front one rear. The WLL of the straps must be 50% of the loads weight. Break strength is 3 times the WLL in most cases.

The 2" Straps I have are 3333#WLL and I have (4) on a 2700# machine so the WLL is 500% of the loads weight.

The same straps would suffice according to the standards listed above for a 26666# load.

Am I encouraging that NO, but 10000# break strength 2" straps and a railroad tie are fine.
The link says 6600 but the page has 10000#

I encourage straps with snap hooks.

Etrack and 4 track tire straps are great for strapping a SxS down as they make the trailer ride better since the suspension is active on the SxS. Make SURE the track is bolted through the boards and where possible the cross members on the trailer. Center the straps on the tires and make them TIGHT, compress the tire. I have never had one come loose in 10-15k miles, not even covered in mud on rough dirt roads.

IMG 5536

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I was on a search and rescue team and had to qualify on the P5, plus how I trailered it. After one training mission that involved towing our SxSs over 20 miles of national forest roads, we decided to fix it flopping around and tilting side to side.

It’s standard operating procedure for guys to compress the shocks to hold their SxS to the trailers.

I have a Big Tex 8x10’ trailer.

Up front we welded a 2” receiver hitch vertically, and put in a receiver clevis. On the front bar I split 2, 4’ lengths of discarded fire department hose, and wrapped a roll of heavy duty duct tape around it. I use my Warn winch to pull the P5s bumper to the front bar.

F432571e6ccc15eb7730f07d73f07bce

On the sides we welded supports for the clevis. I think they were originally used to hold 18 wheeler rims together. Sorry they’re not in the picture.

I then use short pieces of webbing with metal ends looped around the cage horizontal piece, and a 2” ratchet straps. Since they’re used for one purpose, I cut off the extra 20’ of strap so I don’t have to tie it up every time.

A2c16a47a4844dd5d41a35e0dcde1585

In the rear I put a 2” ball on the stock trailer hitch, and do a single loop in front of the ball, and ratchet strap.

41ec51c7ab7e818da0b372a4a7b2b08e

It’s not going anywhere on mountain roads, or on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was on a search and rescue team and had to qualify on the P5, plus how I trailered it. After one training mission that involved towing our SxSs over 20 miles of national forest roads, we decided to fix it flopping around and tilting side to side.

It’s standard operating procedure for guys to compress the shocks to hold their SxS to the trailers.

Up front we welded a 2” receiver hitch vertically, and put in a receiver clevis. On the front bar I split 2, 4’ lengths of discarded fire department hose, and wrapped a roll of heavy duty duct tape around it. I use my Warn winch to pull the P5s bumper to the front bar.

View attachment 289914

On the sides we welded supports for the clevis. I think they were originally used to hold 18 wheeler rims together. Sorry they’re not in the picture.

I then use short pieces of webbing with metal ends looped around the cage horizontal piece, and a 2” ratchet straps. Since they’re used for one purpose, I cut off the extra 20’ of strap so I don’t have to tie it up every time.

View attachment 289915

In the rear I put a 2” ball on the stock trailer hitch, and do a single loop in front of the ball, and ratchet strap.

View attachment 289916

some bright ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I use the etrack system with tire bonnets. Always had trouble keeping straps tight when pulling against the suspension.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here are a couple of educational tie down videos from Shock Therapy. The important takeaway IMO is don't try to pull down the suspension, let it work; tie as close to the wheels as possible.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the e-track system with 4” straps and cam buckles around my rear wheels and one front wheel. Going by e-track manufacturer’s weight recommendations. It’s so much easier and faster than the four point ratchet strap system I was using previously and the suspension on the bike isn’t under tension.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 289914

View attachment 289915

View attachment 289916

Winches are not designed for dynamic loads that are exerted by a bouncing SxS, its going to damage the winch sooner or later.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Winches are not designed for dynamic loads that are exerted by a bouncing SxS, its going to damage the winch sooner or later.

The P5 is not bouncing, it’s strapped firmly to the trailer and the front bumper is held against the front trailer rail. I also put a 12x12 block of fir beam cutoff under the bumper and winch that it’s pulled down on.

I emailed Warn tech support to see what they say. Thanks for comments.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P5 is not bouncing, it’s strapped firmly to the trailer and the front bumper is held against the front trailer rail. I also put a 12x12 block of fir beam cutoff under the bumper and winch that it’s pulled down on.

Let us know what Warn says. I have always heard not to use the winch as a tie down for the machine

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques: Domestic

Page 3 second column under "General Safety", Warn specifically tells you "Never use it to secure a load."

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the etrack system with tire bonnets. Always had trouble keeping straps tight when pulling against the suspension.

I use the e-track system with 4” straps and cam buckles around my rear wheels and one front wheel. Going by e-track manufacturer’s weight recommendations. It’s so much easier and faster than the four point ratchet strap system I was using previously and the suspension on the bike isn’t under tension.

It amazes me how many people will put a $20,000+ SxS behind a $70,000 truck on a $500 junky rusted craigslist trailer on dry rotted tires with $20 in rats*** straps from Wal-Mart.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It amazes me how many people will put a $20,000+ SxS behind a $70,000 truck on a $500 junky rusted craigslist trailer on dry rotted tires with $20 in rats*** straps from Wal-Mart.

Hahahahaha…. My trailer is a couple months old and the e-track system (about $200) was purchased from the trailer shop that I got the trailer from.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hahahahaha…. My trailer is a couple months old and the e-track system (about $200) was purchased from the trailer shop that I got the trailer from.

I wasn't calling you out.

I was on the way to Stony Lonesome a while back and there was a probably $100k Limited F-450 with at least 10k in wheels, towing a decked out X3 4seat that was probably north of $50k and the ass end of the rusty junkyard trailer was flopping in the wind which he had the SxS strapped down to with the red and black husky straps from Home Depot that aren't strong enough to hold a lawnmower. I had more in straps than he did in that trailer.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I was on the way to Stony Lonesome a while back and there was a probably $100k Limited F-450 with at least 10k in wheels, towing a decked out X3 4seat that was probably north of $50k and the ass end of the rusty junkyard trailer was flopping in the wind which he had the SxS strapped down to with the red and black husky straps from Home Depot that aren't strong enough to hold a lawnmower. I had more in straps than he did in that trailer.

I took your post the wrong way. My bad bro

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R

Stony Lonesome! That brings back some memories! I did some dual sport rides there back in the early to mid 90s. Lots of gravel road riding, but some decent technical sections also. And some excellent lunch stops. Good times! :) 30 years ago! Dam, I must be getting old. :cool:

Back on topic: I spotted this rig yesterday on Grand Ave. in Sun City AZ. It was being pulled by a good looking lifted 4x4 truck. I am not even sure what it was, as I was too busy "admiring" the tie downs. It looked like twine, but might have been paracord. Wow! I hope there was something else unseen holding that thing on there!

20210820 134922

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stony Lonesome! That brings back some memories! I did some dual sport rides there back in the early to mid 90s. Lots of gravel road riding, but some decent technical sections also. And some excellent lunch stops. Good times! :) 30 years ago! Dam, I must be getting old. :cool:

Back on topic: I spotted this rig yesterday on Grand Ave. in Sun City AZ. It was being pulled by a good looking lifted 4x4 truck. I am not even sure what it was, as I was too busy "admiring" the tie downs. It looked like twine, but might have been paracord. Wow! I hope there was something else unseen holding that thing on there!

View attachment 290991
Theres a good bit of rock at Stony but all the gravel is in the parking lot. There are some very technical sections.

And yeah pretty much the same concept. When I see that crap I don't linger near them I pass them so whatever they have "tied down" doesn't end up remodeling the front of my vehicle.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I learned a couple of tips from this video CID posted: I even ordered a set of the soft straps the speaker was using. I've had a coule of old dirty sets of axle straps for years but like the smaller, easire to manage soft straps in the video.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Here’s what Warn’s tech service guy said:

Hello Bill,

Warn does not recommend using a winch as a tie down. This is due to shock loading that will occur while going down the road. Winches are very strong with a constant load on them but shock loading will cause the gear train to explode.

Regards,

Jordan Allen | Technical Service Representative
Warn Industries, Inc.

I could argue that since the front of the P5 is being held tight against the padded round bar under tension, it’s not a dynamic but a constant load.

But I’ll admit it’s not hard to get a 4th ratchet strap to go from the clevis and over the bumper and snug it down tight.

Thanks for your comments- life is a learning experience.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!