Jason W

The Ginger Cracker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2024
Western NC mtns
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok yall, pioneer p1-3, we will never have a 4 seater. Just me and my wife.

Lets say budget 15- 20 grand.

What size fits our machines. , what would you by or not by and why

Got more than enough truck to pull a monster, but big enough is fine.

Lets hear it

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok yall, pioneer p1-3, we will never have a 4 seater. Just me and my wife.

Lets say budget 15- 20 grand.

What size fits our machines. , what would you by or not by and why

Got more than enough truck to pull a monster, but big enough is fine.

Lets hear it
That's like the "what oil" or "what size tire" questions 😂

There's a bunch of threads on trailers/toy-haulers/campers/etc. all really depends on YOU and how you want to use it. Anywhere from a ginormous toy-haulers like @gparks or as simple as a open trailer and a hammock 🤷‍♂️ and everything in-between.

Some people want to feel like they're staying at a Hilton while riding too, others just care about the riding and just need a place to crash for the weekend.....

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Have you considered doing an enclosed trailer conversion?

All you need is one with a ramp door and a side door that is such that you can’t be locked in the trailer.

There are a few conversions on this site and you can google enclosed trailer or ice house conversions for ideas. Ice house conversions are definitely weight focused and all about utility. If you’re interested I can show some pictures of my ice house setup that you could borrow with pride.

Jason W

Jason W

The Ginger Cracker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2024
Western NC mtns
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you considered doing an enclosed trailer conversion?

All you need is one with a ramp door and a side door that is such that you can’t be locked in the trailer.

There are a few conversions on this site and you can google enclosed trailer or ice house conversions for ideas. Ice house conversions are definitely weight focused and all about utility. If you’re interested I can show some pictures of my ice house setup that you could borrow with pride.
This is exactly my thought, kist add ac and a fold down bed

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
The enclosed
This is exactly my thought, kist add ac and a fold down bed
ok I’ll post some pics of the interior of my Ice house you can use for inspiration.

Its setup to use my portable AC unit in the summer, wired for 30amp RV, has an 1500 watt inverter, furnace and 100 ah lithium battery that has enough oomph to run the microwave.

The cabinets and topis are standard unfinished from Lowe’s. The base has been altered to fit a furnace.

The rear has a dinette I cut down from my fiver and it lays flat to make a bed for 2 plus a top bunk. It’s spray foam insulated including the floor. Some flip up counters on the sides.

The point is you can do a lot with a simple cabinet and some cots to start out with.

Plenty of videos on the net insulating trailers with pink board foams.

IMG 6407
IMG 6406
IMG 6405
IMG 6404

IMG 5215

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Please do,, does this company do the conversions
You can always buy an enclosed trailer and have your handy/welder bro make you a flip down/up bed and other necessities ........ Keeping it as simple or as intricate as you'd want.

If out of sight outta mind isn't a worry, I've always liked this idea 👇
343 1
Unnamed
44a90be2d537483496c19beb54f940b2

You could probably pick one of these up for about 10K or less. Obviously not ideal for extreme cold conditions but very practical in my opinion 🤷‍♂️

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7’ tall should get you an 80” ramp door height…or close to it.
7’ wide is tight but I can squeeze my Fatsquatch ass out the door if I keep the machine tight to the passenger side. Personally I’d buy the wider trailer if you have options in your budget.
Length…this is where it is really up to you. I got a 16’ with the 2’ v nose. I have enough room to put some large totes behind the machine and also put some in front of the machine. You can certainly go smaller. I think it will fit in a 12’ with a v nose if you don’t have a bed extender on the machine. You can certainly go bigger as well.

I’ve started a 30 amp Rv hookup so I can put a portable ac unit in it along with a few outlets and lights. My son slept in it all week at TO (Sunday-Sunday). I slept in it Sunday until Thursday at TO until my wife and girls arrived and we checked into a cabin at Rock Ridge.

IMG 6249
IMG 6244
IMG 6238
IMG 6250

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan to continue the build out with tear down cots/bed, the electric, portable AC unit and maybe a propane panel heater. I don’t have any plans for water but plenty of peeps have put bathrooms with showers in them. I’m fine with the bathhouse though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nomojic

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A friend was looking at fifth wheel toyhaulers, found a tandem axle that he liked and the salesman was more than willing to sell it to him, right there (of course :rolleyes:).

But when the friend did the numbers he found that just loading the SxS put him over the CCC capacity of the trailer. That was without water, groceries, gear, clothes, tools, linens, silverware, dishes, dogs - without anything else, the trailer was overloaded with just his SxS. He ended up buying a triple axle trailer.

So be aware of the CCC of whatever you're looking at.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
A friend was looking at fifth wheel toyhaulers, found a tandem axle that he liked and the salesman was more than willing to sell it to him, right there (of course :rolleyes:).

But when the friend did the numbers he found that just loading the SxS put him over the CCC capacity of the trailer. That was without water, groceries, gear, clothes, tools, linens, silverware, dishes, dogs - without anything else, the trailer was overloaded with just his SxS. He ended up buying a triple axle trailer.

So be aware of the CCC of whatever you're looking at.
I haven’t seen a RV salesman yet that knew anything more than whether or not the hitch ball fit in the receiver of the truck.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
But if the price is close, maybe a simple toy hauler. Biggest thing is what size door do I need.

I want yalls opinions, coming from experience and use
Find yourself a used Work and Play by forest river. You can pic up an older one for a reasonable price. That will have your bed, a $hitter a small kitchen and a shower. My buddy had one and his P1 fit nicely. It was a 2002 and he sold it for $8k and was in good shape. Ive seen them on RVTrader alot. They are robust and built really well.
This will be your best bet for your budget unless you feel like and have the time to buy an enclosed and outfit it to your liking.

When u have more money and want to talk Big Boy TH’s like I have, come see me

Last edited:
advertisement