Trans Noise

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On average, how loud is the talon transmission when it shifts?? Mine sounds like someone is crashing symbols together.

Also have an occasional loud crashing sound when I start moving forward.

My pioneer you knew it shifted but nothing crazy loud.

Back to the dealer again...

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It is pretty loud if your not wearing a helmet. Compare it with another one. Make sure your shift cable is adjusted properly so its centered in the neutral gate. If the shifter is not centered in the gear gates you may get a loud bang when you apply throttle. The shift lever should wiggle back and forth in the shift gate when its fully into gear. If the shift lever is loaded forward in the shift gate its not fully into gear and you may have a dash on the display.

Reactions: IDIOT
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks Bob, it was adjusted went I took it for initial service. I don’t think the tech knew too much as it’s going back for a third time for repeat repairs.

What you explained is exactly what the shifter is doing.

Strange thing is....it’s intermittent. Went out last night for a slow evening puts. Started out in Low (once I got it engaged) and performed great. Quiet quick shifts. Other times, noisy metallic bang shifts.....same sounds as when it pops when taking off, just at ever shift.

Side note, I’ll be in Prescott this fall for a few weeks helping a friend with his claim. Will shoot you a message.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Low is more difficult to get into gear especially during warmup. I think when its in high the low gear dogs are stacked making it difficult to get into gear. I don't force mine if its stiff going into low. I bump the throttle slightly in high to move it forward slightly then shift into low. I'm using the Honda 10w40 synthetic blend with Moly and it helps. In manual mode the shifting can be more noisy at times, automatic mode not so much.

20200413 190310 resized
20200413 190320 resized

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just drained and refilled the sub transmission with light weight shockproof. Ran it in my Harley transmission. Works excellent and shifts like butter.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just looked it up. $19.00 a quart. Did it get rid of the shift clunk in your Harley?
LIGHTWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF®
  • Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil
  • Excellent low-temp flow, improved cold shifting
  • For racing differentials under moderate loads
  • Popular in racing transmissions like Hewland and other Road Racing dog-ring boxes, Bert and Brinn for Stock Cars, G-Force and Liberty clutchless for Drag Racing
Acting like a liquid grease, these unique lubricants contain a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent, offering a "best of both worlds" balance of low drag and superior protection for gear teeth
  • Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection
  • 40% lower coefficient of friction and 250% of the load carrying capacity of conventional gear oils
  • Relatively low viscosity, yet cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure
  • Helps to prevent tooth breakage, resists throw-off
  • Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging
  • Designed for wet sump transmissions and differentials with splash lubrication

Lightweight shockproof
Lightweight shockproof 464

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!