BOX1

Transmission help

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought bike used with 3000 miles and they did tranny update right before I bought it, when I go up hill and some times on flat ground it will disengage clutch and rev, then it re-engages and the oil light comes on. Backing off the trailer it will also shut off, don't trust dealer very much, anyone else ever have the problem or have a possible diagnosis? Oil light stays on until you turn off the engine

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, all took, followed instructions all the way through and it did everything the post said, except fix the problem. Lol. Seems like it's loosing oil pressure to the clutch for some reason. Judging by the clutch disengaging and the oil light coming on right after, often times if I let off before it engages it'll all work like normal. Other times it'll do it again. Scared I'm not going to let off in time and it's going to damage the transmission or worse

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Dumb question but have you checked the oil?

H

HondaTech

Not familiar, is that the manual shifter on the side of the transmission? How might that effect the oil pressure?

If you take off the cover behind the seats that allows you to check the oil they'll be flat headed bras screw in the clutch cover.

This is the emergency bypass that will force the transmission into 2nd gear only so you can get it home if the 1st clutch burns up or whatever. You have to remove the 10mm holder bolt and plate first then screw it all the way in.

The display should show 2 gear and will take off slowly because it's in 2nd instead of first. If the unit shows 1st and tried to shift into 2nd or acts weird then it may be stuck. I had a P1K with the oil light coming on at random and that was the problem. It was allowing oil pressure bleed off into places it shouldn't have been, triggering the oil light.

They could have also put it in backwards, but I don't think it would move at all then. Sounds like the update could've been done wrong or the clutch could've needed replaced before hand and they didnt do it.

Guessing the unit is the one in your profile picture? Was it lifted and everything when you purchased it? I wonder if it's taken on water?

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was dealer lifted but probably took water at some point. I am assuming the update was done wrong, it shifts fine most of the time, good to know about that bypass. What do I look for exactly or what is the protocol for the test?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Bad battery, cables or engine grounds can also cause some weird stuff to happen. Check all the electrical connectors around the clutch.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

It was dealer lifted but probably took water at some point. I am assuming the update was done wrong, it shifts fine most of the time, good to know about that bypass. What do I look for exactly or what is the protocol for the test?

With the unit off remove the plastic panel that you take off to check the oil. Then loosen the 10mm bolt until you can move the hook shaped retaining plate out of the way. Screw the brass screw all the way in.

Turn the key on and the dash should display 2nd gear. If it does then the valve is operating properly.

The one I had would show 1st gear and would shift into 2nd and not pull correctly because it wasnt moving in the bore correctly.

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll try that tomorrow night. As far as bad battery it starts fine, battery low should give drag on starter right

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a classic problem the dealer screwed up. There is an o-ring that must be installed and with no cuts or your oil light will never get fixed. Take it back and tell them the inner o-ring has an issue. Go to Honda if they tell you you'll have to pay. They screwed up and probably don't even know they did it. Or, the mechanic had one o-ring left over and didn't say anything. It has happened to others when dealer mechanics aren't familiar with the mod.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what they told me was the transmission needed to be re flashed and the injector plug was loose, whatever they did it worked