Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi all,

Has anyone found a truck bed carrier that will fit the 4 seater Talon X4 on a 6'9" standard bed of a GMC 3500? I'm about to buy a truck and it seems I have a lot more options shopping for the 6'9" standard box versus the long 8' box.

if you have the short box configuration and have a carrier thay works for the 4 seater, I'd love the I fo on that carrier.

Thanks!
Josh

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The X4 is 152.6" long with a 116.4" (9.7 feet) wheelbase according to Honda's specs. That's 12.7 feet long OA. The bumper on my Talon R is about flush with the leading edge of the front tires.

116.4" + 14" (tire radius sticking out in front of the front axle) means your rear axle will be 130.4" (10.86 feet) behind the front edge of the bed. Yer gonna need a bigger truk IMHO. :oops:

Honda's specs from here - scroll down and click on Specifications.

Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yeah, I measured it out and got that too. I haven't bought the truck yet. Just exploring options. Looks like I'll be going with the 8' box!

Reactions: ChadD
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
The X4 is 152.6" long with a 116.4" (9.7 feet) wheelbase according to Honda's specs. That's 12.7 feet long OA. The bumper on my Talon R is about flush with the leading edge of the front tires.

116.4" + 14" (tire radius sticking out in front of the front axle) means your rear axle will be 130.4" (10.86 feet) behind the front edge of the bed. Yer gonna need a bigger truk IMHO. :oops:

Honda's specs from here - scroll down and click on Specifications.

UTV racks usually go on top of the cab.

SRW will be very unstable with the high CG of the machine.

I think a 8’ bed dually would be the truck to use for an X4 on a truck rack……….

You will need airbags with a 3500……..
(Especially if you want to pull a camper behind the truck while hauling)

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have been toying around with the idea of getting a new/used truck that I could put my X2 in the back of. I'm not opposed to getting a flat bed. My 2008 GMC 2500HD is great, she only has about 132,000 Miles on her. She is a 4Dr with an 8' bed, and barely gets into my 24' garage. But my truck is gas, and I'd rather have a diesel going forward. I'd also like NOT to tow a trailer. My problem is I want a new truck, I don't need one. And of course the $30K I'll have to spend along with trading or selling my truck. Id be interested in anyone that is putting an X2 in the back of a truck and how they do it.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have been toying around with the idea of getting a new/used truck that I could put my X2 in the back of. I'm not opposed to getting a flat bed. My 2008 GMC 2500HD is great, she only has about 132,000 Miles on her. She is a 4Dr with an 8' bed, and barely gets into my 24' garage. But my truck is gas, and I'd rather have a diesel going forward. I'd also like NOT to tow a trailer. My problem is I want a new truck, I don't need one. And of course the $30K I'll have to spend along with trading or selling my truck. Id be interested in anyone that is putting an X2 in the back of a truck and how they do it.
I have a 2007 Ford F-350 extended cab 4x4, SRW, V-10. It has a 90"W x 9' L aluminum flatbed, setup to haul my truck camper. I don't NEED a new truck, and fortunately, I don't WANT a new truck! I just don't put many miles on it these days- it is at about 103k right now. I added 21" long removable aluminum extensions to the rear of the bed to accommodate my Talon. That could have been just a bit shorter, but I didn't want to cut it too close. This works well for me. The center of gravity of the Talon is behind the rear truck axle, but it handles it well. The ideal situation would be to back it on, but that presents its own challenges! I pull the truck and Talon behind my motorhome, as I am about to do later this morning.

ETA: It is kind of funny, I used to haul 2 ATVs on that bed. I have even hauled a 50" RZR and an ATV. Now I had to put on extensions to haul a 2 seat Talon. The toys are getting bigger. And more expensive!

To the OP: I assume you are talking about one of the over the cab racks. I agree with Sheetmetalfab: with that weight and high center of gravity, I would want a dually.

20210620 065731 20210620 065756 20210620 065748 20210620 065741

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice set up!
It would be great if I could transport my Talon without my flatbed trailer but I don't trailer often enough to warrant another vehicle.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Nice set up!
It would be great if I could transport my Talon without my flatbed trailer but I don't trailer often enough to warrant another vehicle.
Thanks!
The flatbed trailer is by far the easiest way to transport a Talon. IF that fits your needs and circumstances.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a 2007 Ford F-350 extended cab 4x4, SRW, V-10. It has a 90"W x 9' L aluminum flatbed, setup to haul my truck camper. I don't NEED a new truck, and fortunately, I don't WANT a new truck! I just don't put many miles on it these days- it is at about 103k right now. I added 21" long removable aluminum extensions to the rear of the bed to accommodate my Talon. That could have been just a bit shorter, but I didn't want to cut it too close. This works well for me. The center of gravity of the Talon is behind the rear truck axle, but it handles it well. The ideal situation would be to back it on, but that presents its own challenges! I pull the truck and Talon behind my motorhome, as I am about to do later this morning.
That is a great set up. Exactly what I'm looking for. I'm glad to know there are options like this. My issue is we drive 4-6 hours to go to WV and other trail areas. It would be great not to worry about a trailer.
To the OP, sorry if I highjacked your post......

Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Quick update. I bought a 2021 ram 3500 dually. And the best bed rack on earth from bearcountryoffroad.com (contact Dustin Beauvis at 970-420-5631. Built it and picked up in 12 days from start to powder coat).

TINY bit of sway with just the rack and X4 loaded up but nothing major at all. Just take corners easy. Once I hooked up the 32' trailer, it completely smoothed out and I couldn't even tell they were loaded up. I am BEYOND happy with this setup. Rides and handles perfectly! Just in case anyone else is thinking about doing this and has a similar truck, I highly recommend it. Can't speak for non-dually trucks but I don't imagine it would be all that bad or different once the trailer is set up especially if you have or install air bags!

Also feel free to check out some of the vids I make of the Honda Talon adventures we go on! GoPro and Drone footage out the a$$ 🙂

SXS Adventures - Chinaman Gulch, Buena Vista, CO

SXS Adventures - Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners, Moab, UT

20210630 200458

20210630 214207
20210630 214302

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Nice job on the videos. That's one heck of a load with SXS and trailer.

Did you change editing programs between the 1st and 2nd vid?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the overall height? I’m guessing you have to pay attention to those low bridge signs.

Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What is the overall height? I’m guessing you have to pay attention to those low bridge signs.
12' 2" to the top of my light bar. Not that high really considering my buddies trailer is 13' 6". But yeah, I watch the signs just in case. Nit even close to an issue with height yet

Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Nice job on the videos. That's one heck of a load with SXS and trailer.

Did you change editing programs between the 1st and 2nd vid?
Thanks! I don't think so? So etines I use different things for them. I actually make them 100% on my phone woth various apps haha!

Reaction Offroad UTV

Reaction Offroad UTV

Feb 20, 2021
Colorado
youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon X4
UTV racks usually go on top of the cab.

SRW will be very unstable with the high CG of the machine.

I think a 8’ bed dually would be the truck to use for an X4 on a truck rack……….

You will need airbags with a 3500……..
(Especially if you want to pull a camper behind the truck while hauling)
Definitely don't need airbags. Not even close. Zero sag. Super stable.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Definitely don't need airbags. Not even close. Zero sag. Super stable.

Was the camper loaded?
Water, propane, gear?

Looks good in the pictures.

Give a report after a couple trips.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!