BOX1

P1000 Truck winch on Pioneer?

R

RobEmery49

Nov 16, 2015
I would like to get your opinion on using my current Warn truck winch on my Pioneer....

I have a Warn 9000i (multi-mount) winch for my pickup truck. It mounts in a 2" receiver, front or rear. I'd like to use this winch on my Pioneer also. Do I risk damaging the electrical system of the Pioneer or winch?

Technicals
Under a 2,000 lbs load, the truck winch (Warn 9000i) pulls 161 amps.
By comparison, an SxS winch (Warn ProVantage 4500) requires 141 amps under the same load. Virtually the same amps as the truck winch.
Furthermore, this SxS winch draws max amps of 318 amps under 4500 lbs. Compare this to the 9000i under the same load and the amp requirements are actually less (285).
FYI, I always revv the engine up when using a winch on any vehicle to prevent battery drain.

Long story short, from an amp standpoint, the 9000i appears to place the same demand on the Pioneer as a true SxS winch. Of course, if I do something stupid, like trying to winch my buddies pickup truck with my SxS, it would fry the Pioneer for sure!

Also, Warn protects their electrical system with a solenoid rather than fuses to prevent constant power interruptions, etc.

From a structural standpoint, I'm not worried about damaging the Pioneer. I just don't want to damage the electrical system of either unit.

Your opinions??

Thanks
Russ

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Consider running a dual battery as suggested by jtw. I would have said don't do it from a power standpoint but you've done your homework that way. Even factory setup I still don't like using the start battery for any loads especially high ones as it's always important to start/run with no problems. Second the factory battery isn't a deep cycle so it's just not designed for that load. 20 amps doesn't sound like a ton but it's being added to the already significant load and would be the equivalent of leaving a 240watt lightbar on which I wouldn't do while winching, it just doesn't have the power. You will have to winch in spurts
The provantage line is developed for the heavier water/mud and harder usage on a utility type so it'll generally hold up better.
With all that said it'll probably be ok (better with dual battery) but I can't say that I'd be a fan of doing it.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!