P1000 Trying to decide on wheel/tire for my P1K EPS !

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I can't figure out what is going to fit my needs and desires the best...I live in central Illinios. I use my sxs for everything I can!
I do a decent amount of road riding with it. My parents live 20 miles from us and me and the kids and I will drive it there on the weekends at times and I also have friends within 10 mile radius of me. I also drive around in the country looking for coyotes then chasing them through the field, we pull sleds in the winter and explore, my kids have 2 trx90 and we go camping at off-road parks. Pretty much we do it all with this thing and I do run it pretty hard (FYI which is why I bought a Honda;)) At the off-road trips I like all types of terrain and the different ways/challenges of each type. I have owned jeeps in the past that we off-roaded at parks and out west.
I like the nimbleness/quickness of a sxs (that was drawback to jeeps). In my younger days I did a lot of dirtbike and 4-wheelers riding and missed that in the jeep.

I want a wheel and tire setup that will do it all!:) I don't think I want to go above a 28" tire due to how I feel it will start to take away the quickness and make it feel like my jeeps again? It will be in mud, on rock, and in sand. I would like have the an offset on the wheels that doesn't make it that much, if any, wider. I would like to have a tire that isn't crazy heavy and take away from my top end speed since I cuise down the road a lot.

I really like the MSA M20 Kore wheels (14") and want those to be the ones but not if the fitiment won't work for my needs or if there is a better option. For the tires I have liked the Sedona Rock-a-Billy's and I also like the Kanati Mongrels....

So give me your thoughts and bring on the other options? I don't have experience with sxs tires...Thanks!

Reactions: pct
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I can't figure out what is going to fit my needs and desires the best...I live in central Illinios. I use my sxs for everything I can!
I do a decent amount of road riding with it. My parents live 20 miles from us and me and the kids and I will drive it there on the weekends at times and I also have friends within 10 mile radius of me. I also drive around in the country looking for coyotes then chasing them through the field, we pull sleds in the winter and explore, my kids have 2 trx90 and we go camping at off-road parks. Pretty much we do it all with this thing and I do run it pretty hard (FYI which is why I bought a Honda;)) At the off-road trips I like all types of terrain and the different ways/challenges of each type. I have owned jeeps in the past that we off-roaded at parks and out west.
I like the nimbleness/quickness of a sxs (that was drawback to jeeps). In my younger days I did a lot of dirtbike and 4-wheelers riding and missed that in the jeep.

I want a wheel and tire setup that will do it all!:) I don't think I want to go above a 28" tire due to how I feel it will start to take away the quickness and make it feel like my jeeps again? It will be in mud, on rock, and in sand. I would like have the an offset on the wheels that doesn't make it that much, if any, wider. I would like to have a tire that isn't crazy heavy and take away from my top end speed since I cuise down the road a lot.

I really like the MSA M20 Kore wheels (14") and want those to be the ones but not if the fitiment won't work for my needs or if there is a better option. For the tires I have liked the Sedona Rock-a-Billy's and I also like the Kanati Mongrels....

So give me your thoughts and bring on the other options? I don't have experience with sxs tires...Thanks!
Ive had 27 inch swamplites on my teryx for years and ive done all those things they have never let me down.

Yeldarb

Yeldarb

Sep 23, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your tire choices are the ones I was looking at...ended up with STI Chicane's 28x14x10, a 8 ply DOT tire that should wear very well, mounted on STI HD4 wheels.

Reactions: pct and bigsnowman
HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Black water evo's or pro armor XG's that's my votes.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Your tire choices are the ones I was looking at...ended up with STI Chicane's 28x14x10, a 8 ply DOT tire that should wear very well, mounted on STI HD4 wheels.
How did that setup change the way the machine and handled and responded much?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I liked the blackwater's along with the bighorns but didn't know how they would hold up to road use....

They wouldn't hold up very good I'm afraid. I had a set of Evo's on my P700 and will get some again for the P1000. However, if pavement was in the pioneers future, I wouldn't.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
They wouldn't hold up very good I'm afraid. I had a set of Evo's on my P700 and will get some again for the P1000. However, if pavement was in the pioneers future, I wouldn't.
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeldarb

Yeldarb

Sep 23, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did that setup change the way the machine and handled and responded much?
Firmer sidewall, less rolling resistance. Feels a lot more responsive. Gained ~1.5 inches of ground clearance which can't hurt in rocky Arizona!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Firmer sidewall, less rolling resistance. Feels a lot more responsive. Gained ~1.5 inches of ground clearance which can't hurt in rocky Arizona!
Did the wheel make the stance any wider? I'm having trouble with the offset of different wheels. I saw where some were saying the 5+2 offset was close to stock...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did the wheel make the stance any wider? I'm having trouble with the offset of different wheels. I saw where some were saying the 5+2 offset was close to stock...

5-2 is about as close as you can get to stock.

Reactions: pct and Hometeam
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You
5-2 is about as close as you can get to stock.
Can also get the 14" STI HD3 wheels in 137x4 with a 6+1 offset that will get you slightly narrower if you have concerns about 60" gates like on trails out West.

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

Yesterday afternoon I had a chance to mount the wheels/tires on our Pioneer which are STI Chicanes, 28x10x14, on STI HD Beadlocks. I went with the 5+2 offset as I wanted to utilize fender flares that Honda gave us (yep, the ones they forgot on the our 700s). I have included pictures of the OEM setup on one side and the STIs on the other. I also ordered black lug nuts as I wanted them to match.
On the initial ride, the ride seemed solid. We have about 3" of snow so I drove down in the ditch and the Pioneer climbed right up onto the road. I'm very much looking forward to testing these tires going forward.
Speaking of our 700m2, I had the same wheels with a set of 26" STI Roctanes. I had about 1000 miles them when I sold it and was very happy with all aspects of that wheel/tire setup. The reason for the change was that I wanted a DOT rated tire and wanted extended tread wear as we tend to put on a fair amount of road miles.
Good luck with your tire hunt as there are many viable options out there!

1 2 3

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks. I haven't pulled the trigger yet! I have narrowed it down to the Sedona Spyder wheel 5x2 with the rockabilly 28" tires or the Sti HD6 wheel 5x2 with chicane 28" tires! I'm not really sure that there is any difference in those two set ups except for the manufacturer. How do the chicanes do above 50mph? I like that your setup doesn't look like it got much wider.

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

Thanks. I haven't pulled the trigger yet! I have narrowed it down to the Sedona Spyder wheel 5x2 with the rockabilly 28" tires or the Sti HD6 wheel 5x2 with chicane 28" tires! I'm not really sure that there is any difference in those two set ups except for the manufacturer. How do the chicanes do above 50mph? I like that your setup doesn't look like it got much wider.
I've not had a chance to do any testing at speeds. It's been a bit chilly here (Central MN) and was 2* this morning. I will get some done after I get my windshield on and will let you know. I suspect they will be stellar as our Roctanes were very good.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1 and pct
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I ordered these today. Raceline Scorpion wheel 14x7 5+2 offset with Sedona Rockabilly tires 28x10-14. Should be here next week! I am excited to get these on. Thanks for all your helps!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!