Turf mode or rear diff change on talon?

D

Danny1973

Jan 16, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good day, maybe i missed it but couldn't find any real solutions if there is any about getting a open diff or using another rear diff with a turf mode ability. I drive alot on the street, about 90% and maybe 10 on a trail on my property. It's legal to drive them on the street here, so I use it kinda like a second car. I'm sure someone will say theyake them locked for durability and I get that to a certain extent. They been making axles like this in the automotive for years and I know they can too if they really wanted too. It's like they have an agreement with other manufactors not to make the almost perfect machine to keep there competition close lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: ODAMO and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good day, maybe i missed it but couldn't find any real solutions if there is any about getting a open diff or using another rear diff with a turf mode ability. I drive alot on the street, about 90% and maybe 10 on a trail on my property. It's legal to drive them on the street here, so I use it kinda like a second car. I'm sure someone will say theyake them locked for durability and I get that to a certain extent. They been making axles like this in the automotive for years and I know they can too if they really wanted too. It's like they have an agreement with other manufactors not to make the almost perfect machine to keep there competition close lol.
In my not so educated opinion, Honda goofed and should offer the old P1 Deluxe set up in the Talon's

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
In my not so educated opinion, Honda goofed and should offer the old P1 Deluxe set up in the Talon's

They don't build Talons for street driving and lawn rides, they are built to go fast on trails and race tracks. Wanting a Talon to be just like a Pioneer so you can drive it on the road and across your lawn is dumb. Correct tool for the job and all.....

D

Danny1973

Jan 16, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They don't build Talons for street driving and lawn rides, they are built to go fast on trails and race tracks. Wanting a Talon to be just like a Pioneer so you can drive it on the road and across your lawn is dumb. Correct tool for the job and all.....
The talon is no race vehicle sorry to say. It should have alot more power before it can make that claim. It's just a cool looking sxs with a awesome transmission. Just my opinion.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The talon is no race vehicle sorry to say. It should have alot more power before it can make that claim. It's just a cool looking sxs with a awesome transmission. Just my opinion.
They can be made into race form. And have been successful.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

It's more of a race car than it is a property maintenance vehicle. Lol

This is what racing a stock motored Talon R against a bunch of guys in other brands with built motors got me.....

Facebook 1637631669700 6868725062750375500 1687445414322850

20211108 120457

20211107 182839

20211108 115815

Talons are not slow vs other brands stock vs stock when comparing them to other non turbo makes/models, I know this from first hand experience.

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Or slow... don't forget us crawlers that like to show the lifted Jeeps on 38's how rocks are done...

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So by this logic a Mazda RX7 of the 90s is not a sports/track car since it doesn't have a lot of horse power.....but anyone that knows anything about cars will tell you how amazing it is on a track with a basically 50/50 weight ratio....the problem is people who think racing is all in the HP....shows what you know....or don't know....sorry!!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
For mostly street riding I would use 4 front wheels with 32's. The rear would need 2 inch wheel spacers. As the rear tires wear just rotate them with the front. Trading the Talon in on a new Pioneer 1000 would be another option. The 2022 Pioneer has several improvements. It made me want another one.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are you guys done with this tiff? Racers can't go riding technical trails and modified rock crawlers can't go racing what's the deal?

Yes, now here is my non smart ass answer to OP's original question:

The rear diff in a Talon is nothing more than a spool with a ring gear and some bearings on it to keep it narrow so we can have 21" or rear travel. There is no room in the case for spider gears or a selectable locker and there is no room in the back of the chassis to install a wider diff with these features because of rear driveshaft alignment. It would take a hell of alot of fab work and non factory parts to do that and in the end you would lessen the suspension travel and end up with a Pioneer. Hahaha

Why not throw a long travel kit on a Pioneer 1000 along with some performance mods to get all the things you want in one package?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, now here is my non smart ass answer to OP's original question:

The rear diff in a Talon is nothing more than a spool with a ring gear and some bearings on it to keep it narrow so we can have 21" or rear travel. There is no room in the case for spider gears or a selectable locker and there is no room in the back of the chassis to install a wider diff with these features because of rear driveshaft alignment. It would take a hell of alot of fab work and non factory parts to do that and in the end you would lessen the suspension travel and end up with a Pioneer. Hahaha

Why not throw a long travel kit on a Pioneer 1000 along with some performance mods to get all the things you want in one package?
Been thinking about more travel for years for the Pioneers and some have done it, just takes a lot of fab work, which I don't have the skills for. So I'll just keep rubbing the skid plates. The non I4wd do pretty well.

D

Danny1973

Jan 16, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's more of a race car than it is a property maintenance vehicle. Lol

This is what racing a stock motored Talon R against a bunch of guys in other brands with built motors got me.....

View attachment 369700
View attachment 369701
View attachment 369702
View attachment 369703

Talons are not slow vs other brands stock vs stock when comparing them to other non turbo makes/models, I know this from first hand experience.
Congrats, I never said they were slow, I just said they aren't race vehicles. You can race anything that doesn't make that a race machine. I want something I can use daily and not worry about the diff being destroyed and what these cost they could atleast make it an option and or maybe a company could make something for them to be made open diff that's lockable? Again Congrats on the wins.
So by this logic a Mazda RX7 of the 90s is not a sports/track car since it doesn't have a lot of horse power.....but anyone that knows anything about cars will tell you how amazing it is on a track with a basically 50/50 weight ratio....the problem is people who think racing is all in the HP....shows what you know....or don't know....sorry!!
I didn't say anything bad about the talon. I just wanted a lockable rear end or turf mode option. It's a awesome machine and I agree the RX7 is pretty good at the track. But to limit the Talons options just hurts those that want these things on there machine.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
But to limit the Talons options just hurts those that want these things on there machine.
Cuz thats a small amount of folks to make it worth there while to do such things thats why. Looks like u have an entrepreneurship on the horizon ;)

Still no pics from you tho! 🤨

Reactions: Danny1973 and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Congrats, I never said they were slow, I just said they aren't race vehicles. You can race anything that doesn't make that a race machine. I want something I can use daily and not worry about the diff being destroyed and what these cost they could atleast make it an option and or maybe a company could make something for them to be made open diff that's lockable? Again Congrats on the wins.

I didn't say anything bad about the talon. I just wanted a lockable rear end or turf mode option. It's a awesome machine and I agree the RX7 is pretty good at the track. But to limit the Talons options just hurts those that want these things on there machine.

Sounds like you didn't do enough research before buying your Talon and now want it to be something it isn't. Name one sport SxS that has a selectable rear diff?

Btw...... What machine do you consider to be a race car?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I don’t think slowpoke, myself or many care if a some turf gets torn up from the pits, across my lawn, etc...I aint going to wreck my rear by running on pavement, just scrub some rubber

im pretty confident there is not a big demand/market for a sport machine with turf mode, thats what the other rides are for

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I wouldn’t turn up my nose at a selectable rear locker in ANY vehicle. More than once I’ve watched SxS have a more difficult time on a mountain switchback than I did in my Jeep. Rear spools will always understeer unless you’re steering with the right foot. Which is, admittedly a lot of the fun with a sport machine. In the right time and place.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!