P1000 Turn signal kit for P1000

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is there a turn signal kit that can be installed without taking out the plastic dash? I've seen several kits, but it appears the installation would be a lot of work dismantling the plastic dash. I'm beginning to see turn signals as a "must have" since I drive on a lot of paved routes. The dealer charges about $300 just for labor to dismantle the dash and do an install. My labor rate is quite a bit less.

I've got the dust problem resolved, trying to get the shift lever air leakage stopped, and this is my last project FOR THIS YEAR. LOL

Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have u checked the club store?
there good, I have one. You have to do some cutting and drilling no matter what you get cuz the lights have to be mounted and the switch has to be installed. No way around that.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you add the switch to the center plate you really don’t have to dismantle the dash as that warning plate in the center is directly behind the battery. But you will be doing some cutting, no way around it.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you put the switch/horn/etc by the headlight switch, you only have to take that side panel loose to gain access. Nothing but push pins the best I remember. Very easy project.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have u checked the club store?
there good, I have one. You have to do some cutting and drilling no matter what you get cuz the lights have to be mounted and the switch has to be installed. No way around that.
I know I'll have to drill, but I am trying to avoid taking off and reinstalling the plastic dash area. My concern was caused by the Honda dealer who said it would take them several hours just to get at where the switch needs to be installed. He even pointed to the front fender area and said that it had to be removed. It just sounded like a heck of a lot of time just to mount the switch.
If you put the switch/horn/etc by the headlight switch, you only have to take that side panel loose to gain access. Nothing but push pins the best I remember. Very easy project.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you add the switch to the center plate you really don’t have to dismantle the dash as that warning plate in the center is directly behind the battery. But you will be doing some cutting, no way around it.
Do you replace the warning plate with another plate? I believe my plate is pop-riveted onto the dash. I've think I've seen ads for a few accessory plates - do you just drill out the original plate and mount the new plate. That would sure be nice if that is what these replacement plates are for. Thanks

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
20210122 201124

Horn, hazard and turn signal switch. This kit is from the club store. I had to splice into the brake wires but now they have a true plug and play kit in the club store.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you replace the warning plate with another plate? I believe my plate is pop-riveted onto the dash. I've think I've seen ads for a few accessory plates - do you just drill out the original plate and mount the new plate. That would sure be nice if that is what these replacement plates are for. Thanks
Yup, there are a few places that make them but thats it, well you do have to cut out the dash under the warning plate but reuse the rivet areas for screws or new rivets So make sure you leave a lip.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

here is another dash panel with switch holes already to knock out

UXKH2604 VSOX1653

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice, I'll take a close look, and maybe this is my solution too.
I put a lot of thought into it and installed my own street legal kit a few months ago in my P1k5 LE. Didn't have to pull the dash.
(As a sidenote comparison, I spent a big day driving around in a Ranger with a much more expensive steering column turn signal kit this week and didn't think it was worth the $150+ premium to have a column signal - my opinion).

Whether you are right or left handed, you're used to a turn signal left of the steering wheel. That is why I didn't go for the center panel switch.

I bought a lighted left-right turn signal rocker switch (google them) to add to my street legal kit, and mounted it below the cupholder.
If you go this route, get the switch first, pop the cupholder, and make sure you have enough depth behind the dash for the switch and wiring. I measured and located my switch a bit low to make sure the wiring cleared.
After ensuring fit, I pencil-traced the cut and used a utility knife to cut the hole. A coat-hanger wire lead can pull the wiring through the cutout to complete the wiring and then you can snap the rocker switch into the cutout and you are done.
Make sure your behind-the-dash wiring stays clear of the steering column - either by routing or zip-ties.
This install is easy and intuitive to use, and you don't have to pull the dash.

Best.

PS: Because I'm right-handed, I installed my winch switch (shown) on the left in the same way. I didn't use the switch that came with my winch; bought one that mounted in the dash and felt intuitive for in and out when I'm using it for lifting/lowering a snow plow.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!