P700 Tusk tires and 12" or 14" rim question

Jersey700

Jersey700

Apr 3, 2019
NJ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a few questions about tires and rims for anyone who can answer... or give some feedback on my choice(s) if you've owned them before. Ive wrenched a lot on off road trucks (built a FJ40 up from a rust bucket to a pretty competent trail rig) but Im relatively new to UTVs so if I ask any noob questions, bare with me lol. I have a 2018 700-4 deluxe and Ive made a few mods to it already (winch, plow, hard top, etc) but I'm looking to upgrade from the stock tires. My driving is mostly in mud and dirt (some of the mud is pretty deep and full of clay)... with occasional rocky terrain when I go on vacation to Hatfield and McCoy in WV and snow plowing on pavement a few times per year (maybe a total of 5 miles for the season). Reading what many have posted on threads before Ive decided on 27s with a 5+2 offset rim (probably going with ITP Delta in black because I don't feel the need for bead locks nor do I need anything flashy). Ive gotten some advice from a friend (who is also on this board) and I trust his opinion but Im never one to be satisfied with just one opinion so Im asking here. Ive kinda narrowed it down to two choices in tires and that's what I'm looking to get feedback on.

Tusk Terrabites: 27x9x12 on the front and 27x11x12 on the back. These came pretty highly recommended and based on the tread pattern, probably give a smooth ride. But my question with them is how aggressive is the tread pattern when dealing with mud? It seems to resemble a BFG mud terrain tire but isn't as aggressive as some other tires Ive seen on the UTV market (even the stock tires seem more aggressive). I could use the stock rims for these tires but want to keep them intact as a backup set of tires/rims so Ill just buy new rims along with the tires.

Tusk Trilobites HD: 27x9x14 in the front and 27x11x14 in the back. These seem to have the tread pattern Im looking for to slog through mud but still provide a decent ride over flat ground. My question with these is will going up in rim size from a 12 to a 14 have any adverse effects on the machine or on the ride? Ive tried to find these tires in a 12" rim but they only make 27s for 14" rims. Ive seen a few off brands with the same tread pattern but Im wary of using them as anything other than a spare.

Any help/advice you folks can give me would be appreciated.

Reactions: L2R
Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
The Tusk Terrabites are not the answer from everything I've read for mud. They do ride a lot better than stock. The 27" are going to be about 26" unless you inflate them to rock hard. I bought 28x10x14's all the way around and they are about 27" with 10lbs of air in them. I paid around $850 for tires and rims mounted and delivered.

Jersey700

Jersey700

Apr 3, 2019
NJ
Ownership

1. 700-4
The Tusk Terrabites are not the answer from everything I've read for mud. They do ride a lot better than stock. The 27" are going to be about 26" unless you inflate them to rock hard. I bought 28x10x14's all the way around and they are about 27" with 10lbs of air in them. I paid around $850 for tires and rims mounted and delivered.

Yeah thats what I was figuring about the terrobite treads...it just doesnt seem to be aggressive enough. I figured a 27 would tape out to less but its still going to give me a bit more ground clearance and better performance than the 25s Im running now. And since youre running 14 inch rims, Im assuming its a common thing?

Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
Yeah thats what I was figuring about the terrobite treads...it just doesnt seem to be aggressive enough. I figured a 27 would tape out to less but its still going to give me a bit more ground clearance and better performance than the 25s Im running now. And since youre running 14 inch rims, Im assuming its a common thing?

I bought 14's because the 28's only came in 14's not 12's

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I can speak to this...kind of.

I went from my stock 27x14 maxxis tire to a 29x14 Trilobite on the rear (some bighorn 2.0 up front because I had fresh spares, essentially the same tire though).

Now I have a pioneer 1000-5, but I have done the 2inches up/down of sidewall with this tread pattern.

For my application, I didn't really notice a huge difference. I wouldnt tell you that the extra two inches of sidewall offered a massive improvement in ride (some feel it does). The other thing to remember though is that the stock 1000 tires are 4 ply, and I'm now running 6ply up front and 8 in the back....so maybe that negates the difference in sidewall size? Speculation at best.

I tend to like bigger tire smaller wheel just from a visual perspective. If I wouldnt have had the fronts laying around, I would have went with a 12 inch wheel and 28 inch tires all the way around. Harder to find that bigger size in a 12 inch wheel though. Tons of people make that tread pattern if you aren't committed to tusk. Maybe another manufacturer has the 27x12?

I will say I've been very happy with the Tusk HD, but I don't have a TON of time on them.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the search- it's half the fun!

Reactions: Jersey700
Jersey700

Jersey700

Apr 3, 2019
NJ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Reactions: dnjones161
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can tell you for clay you want a tractor pattern like mudlite, outback, bearclaw htr. those do the best but they don last as long on gravel or rocks if you do that. my personal choice for 90 percent clay and snow, 10 hard stuff personally is the mud lite 2, 27x12 they are radials don't cost that much and you have a good ride and handling. got a couple hundred miles on it now and even the pokeys are still on the tops, probably half gravel right now. itps mostly run big little over 27 on both

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you for clay you want a tractor pattern like mudlite, outback, bearclaw htr. those do the best but they don last as long on gravel or rocks if you do that. my personal choice for 90 percent clay and snow, 10 hard stuff personally is the mud lite 2, 27x12 they are radials don't cost that much and you have a good ride and handling. got a couple hundred miles on it now and even the pokeys are still on the tops, probably half gravel right now. itps mostly run big little over 27 on both
Bearclaw HTR is a hard pack radial. They are fair at best in mud. I have 1200 miles on HTRS on a Outlander 800r they are a very durable hard pack tire.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
he said hard and clears, the htr looks a lot like the mud lite open, really good for a multi use. only reason I went with the mudlite 2 is they cost a bit less. some of the other bear claws you wouldn't want. they are the same depth and similar tread, the mudlites are one of they best multi purpose, still as good as you are going to get in the mud with going t a full mud which sucks at any thing but mud

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
he said hard and clears, the htr looks a lot like the mud lite open, really good for a multi use. only reason I went with the mudlite 2 is they cost a bit less. some of the other bear claws you wouldn't want. they are the same depth and similar tread, the mudlites are one of they best multi purpose, still as good as you are going to get in the mud with going t a full mud which sucks at any thing but mud
Do you notice a power loss with 27”? Did you go 27”x12”x12” all the way around?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
27x9x11, 11 back. also believe in wider in back is better. nothing noticeable really, if anything its a little faster on top, the way the gears are taller tires are fine. I work it all the time this sunday I had about 3k worth of trailer and wood driving it through my yard, up a swail and to my burn pile just 4wd because I didn't want to spin the tires in the low area and the swamp in the yard I burn my brush, no spinning = no ruts in the yard to fix. I haul wood out of the swamp all the time snow up to the bottom is the only time I put in 4 normally

Reactions: Mudwing
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you notice a power loss with 27”? Did you go 27”x12”x12” all the way around?
No as long as they are not overly heavy you won't notice anything. I was a little skeptical at first but no regrets I can't tell a difference except for the improved ground clearance.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!