Universal SATV EPS install sand rail

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After having good luck with the SATV EPS Kit install in my P-1000-5, I purchased another SATV EPS kit for my sand rail.

Got started yesterday with the install, requiring a bit of fabrication in order to mount the gear. A few pics of progress, while I await the paint drying before proceeding to the wiring and bolt-up of the gear.

First up was fab of a "c/mbr" on which to mount the gear mounting plate.

IMG 4291

IMG 4292

Trimmed excess material from the gear mount plate, verified location/position, then welded to new "C/Mbr"
IMG 4296

IMG 4302
IMG 4303

IMG 4289 IMG 4298 IMG 4299 IMG 4304 IMG 4305

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well as happens, life got in the way, but today, I got back to it, and finished the install but still need to re-install the frt. pass. seat
(removed for wiring loom routing), re-install the Rt side body skin, and clean up the work-space, but it's done enough for a friday evening... ;)

In my haste the other day, I forgot to account for the ECM mounting, so had to fab a mount for it as well.
IMG 4317

Since I wanted to retain the upper end of the steering column, for my quick-release steering wheel, I chucked one of the supplied shafts and joints in the lathe, and cut the welds loose from the U-joint, then turned the forward end of the original upper shaft in the lathe to make it mate up with the supplied u-joint.
IMG 4327

IMG 4328

The kit provides two shaft-U-joint pieces from which to fabricate useable steering. Here, I used the lower end of the shaft/u-joint assy to the rack&pinion gear. Since both the rack & the supplied gear are mounted such that the intermediate shaft needs to come apart in order to both install, or remove either of the gears. I elected to splice the shaft, using a piece of tubing that wasn't as snug a fit as I felt necessary, so to ensure it was a solid and tight fitment, I cut the splice tube lengthways, shortened the shafts as required to mate up, then clamped it all together, and drilled the splice and both shafts to accept 5/16 grade 5 machine screws.
IMG 4329

Finally after paint had dried, I was able to complete final mounting and wiring.
IMG 4330

And all that work is now hidden... ;)
IMG 4335

IMG 4336

PS: I absolutely LOVE the low steering efforts now... ;) IMG 4331 IMG 4332

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!