Multi Unscientific foam filter oil experiment in the shed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So a few months back i did this review on elf foam filter oil: Multi - Review: Elf Moto air filter oil

Keep in mind while reading this: Mfg's are not in agreement as to how much "tacky" is useful or necessary for effective air filtration, though it would seem a tacky solution would be more useful in trapping dirt.

In that review, i summarized by saying that I thought this oil was good, but seemed to take a while for the solvent carrying agent to evaporate and leave behind residue as tacky as some other brands. My specific thinking was the Honda brand FFO, which i remembered as being very tacky.

A week or 2 ago, i ordered an extra filter to rotate. They come pre-oiled from Honda, but to my surprise, the oil on the filter was not plentiful, nor was it really any more tacky than the elf stuff. So now I'm wondering if age is getting to me, and the Honda stuff really wasn't that tacky...or if Honda changed formulas.
My intention was to order the Honda stuff to simply dump more on the new filter, as i need to change it soon. For whatever reason, its becoming hard to get it from amazon in less than 2 weeks. So instead, i chose some Maxima FFT brand, so while cleaning the new filter, i decided on a little experiment...and note that all bottles were shaken vigorously prior to pouring...

My old 700 air filter DOES NOT FIT a 500 as it 1st appeared, so its just been laying around all nice and clean for months. I also laid out some cardboard and poured a bit on it as well.

On the left and right are the oils, with their respective splotches circled, and a "pour" on the cardboard. Notice that my attempt to make a controlled pour didn't work very well, as both of these products are very thin from the bottle:

20190328 183941

In fact, after pouring both, i started to suspect that these 2 different products came from the same source, though later that seems to have proven not to be true.
While watching all the excitement, i recalled that i have a tiny bit of UNI left from a few years ago (i did run UNI oil on the stock filter several times). So i added a wildcard...

20190328 184154

You'll notice on the filter that the pour was much more controlled ( I also poured it on the cardboard, as you can see below the arrow), and thats because the UNI oil is MUCH thicker than the other two. Almost, if not more viscous, than gear oil.

I think there is a specific reason for this: If you hold a UNI foam and stock filter up to light, you'll immediately see that the UNI is more porous. That's one of the ways it flows more air...so it could be that thicker oil is necessary to stay on UNI filters, or to be an effective attractant to dust. As i said, i ran uni oil on my stock 700 filter several times (UNI is among the cheapest oils you can get). Nearly 9K miles and no oil usage tells me it works fine on non UNI filters, so...

The real experiment is what happens in the next 24 hrs. I've already checked back after maybe 2 hours, and here are the results:

On the cardboard:
The elf has literally saturated into the cardboard to the point where it's more like a stain, with not too much left at the surface. The UNI remains thick and tacky, but has stayed on the surface pretty well. The Maxima has also stayed on the surface, and further differentiates itself from the elf by being the MOST tacky, followed closely by the UNI, and the elf having mostly penetrated the cardboard, has no real tackiness to the touch.
I don't know if the penetration aspect of the elf (or the less penetration of the others) is a good or bad thing, but i can tell you right now that if i were to blow dust across this cardboard, the elf is going to come in last with the amount trapped. But...the filters aren't made of cardboard, are they?

On the foam filter:
Here's where it gets weird...
On the ACTUAL foam filter, all 3 of these seem neck in neck. All will leave "spiderwebs" of residue in the beam of my flashlight (after dark:30 by the time i checked, hence no pics) for several inches of pulling away after touching. Honestly, i can't say one seems better than the other, and i must note that the elf seems much better in that regard than it seemed when i 1st bought it. Maybe i'm just blind...or stupid? I should note that its much warmer today.

Tomorrow i will check at 24 hrs, take some pics, dump either the Maxima or elf on my new filter, and report back.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
have used No toil for quite a while now, the other oils have to be cleaned with caustic crap, does a good job on twin air filter, they get as much mud and pollen as stock but way easier to apply they have an aerosol so you don't get it all over, and with the cleaner you can breath and dip your bare hands in, just fill a pot with warm water and the cleaner and the crap just falls off.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...so i checked them before work this morning (roughly 14 hrs after pour), and at that point the Uni had to to seeped into the cardboard a bit, but still had surface tackiness, with the Maxima just starting to do the same, but still very tacky. On the filter itself, they were all still pretty close, with maybe a slight edge to the Maxima.

This afternoon:

20190329 183626

On the cardboard:
As you can (maybe) see, the heat of the day helped the Maxima, and esp the Uni, join the elf in seeping into the cardboard. The Uni had very little on the surface, mainly at the bottom, where some pooling occured. The Maxima had also gone into the cardboard to some extent, but still had some surface tackiness pooling in the last few inches of the run.

On the filter:
Pretty much the same as every check, with all 3 showing good spider webbing and tackiness, with the Maxima feeling just a touch better.

Rather than posting tons of pics, i simply made a quick video that hopefully will show more:

As i said in the video, the Maxima seems to have the good traits of both oils, with the tackiness of the Uni, but the thin viscosity of the elf (a feature they specifically designed in) to aid in filter saturation/penetration.

So does the Maxima "win", with the Uni second? While the elf maybe not quite as good?

Time for a monkey wrench...

At left, my nasty elf-oiled filter with (best guess) 4-500 miles, with my freshly Maxima oiled new filter to the right:

20190329 192335

Guess what? The elf oil on the dirty filter is absolutely as tacky as anything in this "test". Maybe more so. If you look, you can still see the wet looking areas...and plenty of dirt. The inside looks like absolutely virgin elf oil, and the intake tract is spotless. elf works, and works well!
But as i said in my review, there seems to be a discrepancy between fresh elf, and some thats been exposed to heat/atmosphere for a bit of time. We'll have to wait a few hundred miles to see if the Maxima gets even stickier with use.

So, i guess I'll say that the used elf might be the best "feeling" here, but with the stipulation that it needs time to cure before running for best filtration. The Maxima is very close after a short "cure" time, and we'll see after some use. The Uni...maybe isn't the sexiest, but seems like it would also be very good, if a bit harder to work in due to its thickness.

Really....i think pick one, but plan ahead with the elf.

I'd like to try this again with more controls in place, and maybe some other brands.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK...so i checked them before work this morning (roughly 14 hrs after pour), and at that point the Uni had to to seeped into the cardboard a bit, but still had surface tackiness, with the Maxima just starting to do the same, but still very tacky. On the filter itself, they were all still pretty close, with maybe a slight edge to the Maxima.

This afternoon:

View attachment 118913

On the cardboard:
As you can (maybe) see, the heat of the day helped the Maxima, and esp the Uni, join the elf in seeping into the cardboard. The Uni had very little on the surface, mainly at the bottom, where some pooling occured. The Maxima had also gone into the cardboard to some extent, but still had some surface tackiness pooling in the last few inches of the run.

On the filter:
Pretty much the same as every check, with all 3 showing good spider webbing and tackiness, with the Maxima feeling just a touch better.

Rather than posting tons of pics, i simply made a quick video that hopefully will show more:

As i said in the video, the Maxima seems to have the good traits of both oils, with the tackiness of the Uni, but the thin viscosity of the elf (a feature they specifically designed in) to aid in filter saturation/penetration.

So does the Maxima "win", with the Uni second? While the elf maybe not quite as good?

Time for a monkey wrench...

At left, my nasty elf-oiled filter with (best guess) 4-500 miles, with my freshly Maxima oiled new filter to the right:

View attachment 118914

Guess what? The elf oil on the dirty filter is absolutely as tacky as anything in this "test". Maybe more so. If you look, you can still see the wet looking areas...and plenty of dirt. The inside looks like absolutely virgin elf oil, and the intake tract is spotless. elf works, and works well!
But as i said in my review, there seems to be a discrepancy between fresh elf, and some thats been exposed to heat/atmosphere for a bit of time. We'll have to wait a few hundred miles to see if the Maxima gets even stickier with use.

So, i guess I'll say that the used elf might be the best "feeling" here, but with the stipulation that it needs time to cure before running for best filtration. The Maxima is very close after a short "cure" time, and we'll see after some use. The Uni...maybe isn't the sexiest, but seems like it would also be very good, if a bit harder to work in due to its thickness.

Really....i think pick one, but plan ahead with the elf.

I'd like to try this again with more controls in place, and maybe some other brands.
I use the Maxima Fab 1 spray on oil and it seems to be quite tacky. I hate reinstalling the filter if I don’t have my nitrile gloves on because that stuff does not like coming off my hands without a few good doses of goop or gojo. FWIW my Honda replacement filter didn’t have much oil on it either, my dealer told me it’s not ready out of the bag and to spray it before I installed it. This is what I use.
1E63F0E7 F04F 4C9F 9393 10D9A9D768F8

H

HondaTech

I use the Maxima Fab 1 spray on oil and it seems to be quite tacky. I hate reinstalling the filter if I don’t have my nitrile gloves on because that stuff does not like coming off my hands without a few good doses of goop or gojo. FWIW my Honda replacement filter didn’t have much oil on it either, my dealer told me it’s not ready out of the bag and to spray it before I installed it. This is what I use.
View attachment 118920

FAB1 is what we use at the shop for foam filters. I clean, lube and install the filter before doing any other work. This way it has time to dry while I do the service and it doesnt stick to your hands as easily.

We also use the Maxima cleaner, though I'm not a big fan of it as it seems to damage the glue on older filters and they fall apart easier.

My oil/cleaner of choice for my offroad stuff is Notoil. Biodegradable so I dont care to pour the waste water down the drain or on the ground. The cleaner makes any NoToil oiled filter look clean as new too.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
FAB1 is what we use at the shop for foam filters. I clean, lube and install the filter before doing any other work. This way it has time to dry while I do the service and it doesnt stick to your hands as easily.

We also use the Maxima cleaner, though I'm not a big fan of it as it seems to damage the glue on older filters and they fall apart easier.

My oil/cleaner of choice for my offroad stuff is Notoil. Biodegradable so I dont care to pour the waste water down the drain or on the ground. The cleaner makes any NoToil oiled filter look clean as new too.
You don't use Honda? Tisk...tisk...

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: DG Rider
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Honda Oil is made by NoToil and cost more for me.

We dont use it in the shop because the spray on oil is done quicker and speeds up the process.

this is when I started using it too15 years ago, kawi oil I got at the kawi dealer and had kawi logo on it, really made by no toil too you don't see it till you look at the bottle. they were the same though about 20 bucks for aerosol oil, grease and cleaner kit

Reactions: Russ989
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been using the maxima since I posted this, and it has served well. I believe I just finished off my 2nd bottle in that time, so it goes a long way.

So naturally, I'd change, right...LOL?
Got this a few days ago:

IMG 20220318 203521684

It's going back to Amazon.

If, as in the 1st post, we are to think that tackiness = traping particles, then this stuff won't do. I poured it on some paper towel and let it sit for a few days, and the outcome is pretty much the same as when I 1st poured it...in that it has almost no tackiness at all. It's thicker than the maxima (or the Elf, which seems to be NLA on Amazon), but that's where it ends. It's almost more like gear oil...or the uni oil, thickness wise, but as far as tackiness, it's more like k&n oil.

By way of comparing, some months old maxima was on a dirty filter I have and I wiped it on the same paper towel, and just touching it with my finger was enough to lift the whole thing in the air, while the Lucas doesn't even show any type of spider-webbing when touched.

Full disclosure: I've always looked and Lucas stuff with rolling eyes, TBH. It seems like the brand is always been way over hyped, IMO. So it's no surprise to me that this would do a better job in your differential than on an air filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I've been using the maxima since I posted this, and it has served well. I believe I just finished off my 2nd bottle in that time, so it goes a long way.

So naturally, I'd change, right...LOL?
Got this a few days ago:

View attachment 325175

It's going back to Amazon.

If, as in the 1st post, we are to think that tackiness = traping particles, then this stuff won't do. I poured it on some paper towel and let it sit for a few days, and the outcome is pretty much the same as when I 1st poured it...in that it has almost no tackiness at all. It's thicker than the maxima (or the Elf, which seems to be NLA on Amazon), but that's where it ends. It's almost more like gear oil...or the uni oil, thickness wise, but as far as tackiness, it's more like k&n oil.

By way of comparing, some months old maxima was on a dirty filter I have and I wiped it on the same paper towel, and just touching it with my finger was enough to lift the whole thing in the air, while the Lucas doesn't even show any type of spider-webbing when touched.

Full disclosure: I've always looked and Lucas stuff with rolling eyes, TBH. It seems like the brand is always been way over hyped, IMO. So it's no surprise to me that this would do a better job in your differential than on an air filter.
It’s probably exactly the same stuff as diff oil. 😂

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!