P700 Upgrading Tires and Wheels

G

Greg1881

Sep 17, 2020
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am looking to upgrade my tires and wheels and not familiar with how matching new wheels and tires together works. Currently have the stock steel wheel 12" with the stock 25" tire. Not looking to add a lift, maybe spacers in a couple months for a wider stance. Thinking of going to a 27x9 on the front and 27X11 on the back. Do I stay with a 12" wheel or do I go to a 14"? Do I stay with the 4/110 bolt pattern? Is there a reason I to have a smaller tire on the front instead of 27x11 on all four? Thank you Greg

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I am looking to upgrade my tires and wheels and not familiar with how matching new wheels and tires together works. Currently have the stock steel wheel 12" with the stock 25" tire. Not looking to add a lift, maybe spacers in a couple months for a wider stance. Thinking of going to a 27x9 on the front and 27X11 on the back. Do I stay with a 12" wheel or do I go to a 14"? Do I stay with the 4/110 bolt pattern? Is there a reason I to have a smaller tire on the front instead of 27x11 on all four? Thank you Greg
Whatever size tire you have your heart set on, you gotta get the wheel size to match. Heres and example: if the tire you like is a 27x11-14, make sure you get the 14" wheel that it will mount on. Typically, the last number on the side of the tire sidewall is the size wheel diameter you need. I hope this is the question you're asking. Also, yes, you want to order 4/110 wheels for the Pioneer 700. Lets just say you find a killer set of wheels that you just have to have, that have a different bolt pattern, you can get adapters to fit the different wheels to your 4/110 bolt pattern hubs. The good news in this example if the adapters can also act as the spacers you mentioned earlier that you want to buy to make it wider. My buddy has a 700-4 that he got 4 free awesome tires for, but they wouldnt fit his wheels. He got on Craigslist and found a set of Polaris wheels for like $50. Polaris wheels have a different bolt pattern than Honda. Maybe...4/156? Cant remember. Anyway, then he got some adapters for like $50 and put the Polaris wheels on his Pioneer 700 with the new free tires he got and came out cheaper than searching out brand new 4/110 wheels. Ok, remember, pics or it didnt happen. Take pics and post them up as you upgrade your machine. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
G

Greg1881

Sep 17, 2020
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
What offset would I want to go with so the tires are postioned like the stock tire? If I wanted the tires to stick out 1" what offset would I want so I do not need to buy spacers down the road? Thanks

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Im not familiar with P700 wheel measurements, but if you take your wheel off of the machine and put a straight edge across the wheel lip on the backside and measure straight down to the back of the bolt circle where it would bolt up flat against your hub, that measurement will be the back offset. Then flip it over and lay a straight edge across the front and measure straight down to the same place where it bolts to the hub face. This is your front offset. You wanna order new wheels that have these same measurements. Like if its an 8" wide wheel, and the back measurement is 5" and the front is 3", then you have a 5/3 offset. Im assuming they make the rear wheels wider on offroad toys because the rear wheels are the main drive tires that put the power to the ground and the wider the footprint the more traction you will have. You will notice a lot of machines have a narrower rear axle from hub face to hub face on the rear than on the front, just so they can put wider wheels and tires on the back. This is just an opinion of mine. Maybe someone smarter than me can correct me. Alot of people, myself included, dont like the look of wider tires on the back and skinnies on the front, so they will order 4 wheels with the same offset, and 4 tires the exact same size and put them on the machine so everything is the same. Sometimes when you do this you have to get wheel spacers on the back to bring the back wheels out the same diatance as the front, because of the narrower rear end that I talked about earlier. My wife had a 2015 Pioneer 700-4 for a while and I ordered 4 matching wheels and 4 matching tires. Honestly though, for the life of me I cant remember if I had to put wheel spacers on the back or not.

Reactions: Backwoods
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you wanted the tires to stick out 1" further, do the math and order the wheels with the offset 1" more to the outside. Like if stock is 5 on the back and 3 on the front, order 4 on the back and 4 on the front, which I guess would be 4/4 offset instead of 5/3. This is just an example though. Take the measurements and decide the offset you want. Hope this helps.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
27's on the stock 12" wheels work great. I went with 27x9 front and 27x11 back. Love the stance and the gained height. Also have 2" spring spacers ready to add more height, but dont think itll make it in the garage if I do that.

Here is it on the road :cool: and kicked up a notch getting an oil change 😂

20200822 223229
20200822 222853
20200913 084028 1

G

Greg1881

Sep 17, 2020
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you for the help. Would 27 x 11 on the front cause the tire to rub with the Honda Fender Flares? Is there any reason I would not want to do this? Thinking I want to be able to rotate the tires, or does rotating the tires not due much to make them last longer? I do not have the electric power steering on my 700.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you for the help. Would 27 x 11 on the front cause the tire to rub with the Honda Fender Flares? Is there any reason I would not want to do this? Thinking I want to be able to rotate the tires, or does rotating the tires not due much to make them last longer? I do not have the electric power steering on my 700.
Rotation will help them last a lot longer . I don't think they would rub the flares. I like the way the Honda flares look.

J

JEREMY KISSIC

Apr 20, 2021
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: Rick49274

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!