UTV tires vs. Truck tires

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Does anyone know what the difference is between UTV tires and regular truck tires? I would assume that a 10 ply truck tire is stiffer than a 10 ply UTV tire? Are the beads the same? In some cases the weight is the same. Take a look at the Toyo UTV tire and the truck tire, what Is the difference?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Passenger carrying highway rated tires must meet rigid standards enforced by the NHTSB. I don't know exactly what the standards are but common sense suggests they're speed rated (won't fly apart at rated speed), can tolerate heat build-up, meet traction specs on dry and wet, pavement, snow, ice, mud, etc., resist blow-out from impact, and more.

ATV tires are usually cheap Chinese crap that hold air and are somewhat round. They're tested for nothing.

Our Pioneer 1000s are capable of about 62mph, Talons 70+. Many of you carry wives and children in your machines. To me it's a no-brainer. I use highway-rated tires on my P1k.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Passenger carrying highway rated tires must meet rigid standards enforced by the NHTSB. I don't know exactly what the standards are but common sense suggests they're speed rated (won't fly apart at rated speed), can tolerate heat build-up, meet traction specs on dry and wet, pavement, snow, ice, mud, etc., resist blow-out from impact, and more.

ATV tires are usually cheap Chinese crap that hold air and are somewhat round. They're tested for nothing.

Our Pioneer 1000s are capable of about 62mph, Talons 70+. Many of you carry wives and children in your machines. To me it's a no-brainer. I use highway-rated tires on my P1k.
Some UTtV tires carry a DOT rating

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Toyo is a great tire. Didn't know they are selling a SXS branded tire. Their open country line are superb truck tires, a bit on the expensive side but worth it, Imo.
Glad u have had good luck with them. I had a set and they were the worse tire to balance. We use to put them on our service vans and they would cup and tread seperate in less than 15k miles and we are on top of rotations and service to our vans. Ill never own another set. Switched to Michelin for my truck and our vans. No probs as of now. I say that and watch:rolleyes:🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Some UTtV tires carry a DOT rating
They do but there still loud fuc on the road.
IMO as noted in many of the countless DOT LT tire threads on here, LT and UTV tires are completely different. If your cruising dirt and paved roads often or all the time LT/MT’s are the was to go. They are also 10ply. And have a thicker bead as well and in most cases a heavier side wall.
Yes the tires is heavier depending on the size, and some not far off from most UTV tires. Its all about picking your poison with them. Especially the brands. What works for u might not work for me.
What do I have you might ask?
Ive been running LT/MT tires for the last 4 years in my P1 and love them. Ill stick to UTV tires as of now in my Talon cuz its off road 99% of the time but who knows, it might change.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wasn't sure which type to purchase either but I ended up with the sniper 920. Got about 1400 miles on them and they are wearing great and they do good on the road and great in the dirt too. They're also light and truck tires are heavy. Something to consider.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wasn't sure which type to purchase either but I ended up with the sniper 920. Got about 1400 miles on them and they are wearing great and they do good on the road and great in the dirt too. They're also light and truck tires are heavy. Something to consider.
Got a link to them with some specs?

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Robobrainiac looked into these and said he thought they were a good compromise between a UTV tire and a truck tire. But I think someone else didn't like them simply because they were made in VaChina (I think).

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mostly, it's going to come down to weight and wear. A LT tire is going to be heavier and harder rubber, as it's built for tens of thousands of miles on pavement.

A UTV tire will be softer and lighter. And yeah, many are DOT. One I had that was pretty darn good was the Maxxis Liberty.

A good comparison is the BFG AT line. You can get TA/KOs for a truck or KM3s for your machine.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Wow - let me guess - you don’t approve of using green slime or plugs for a small leak, throw the tire away and get a new one

not sure I’ve ever owned a dirt bike, quad, sxs, etc - that had dot approved tires - I even haul ass at times as well

Reactions: Scoop and RSX3
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Wow - let me guess - you don’t approve of using green slime or plugs for a small leak, throw the tire away and get a new one

not sure I’ve ever owned a dirt bike, quad, sxs, etc - that had dot approved tires - I even haul ass at times as well
I prefer the Berryman Tire Seal-R over the Slime. It's fiber based, biodegradable, and safe for all types of wheels.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Believe it or not the best, and cheapest tire sealer I have found is “sta flo” starch. You can only get it at Walmart $3 For 64 oz. Safe for all tires and wheels and just dries up in the tire.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!