Valve cover gasket leak! 1000-5

D

DonG

Oct 24, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was doing my valve adjustment maintenance and the valve clearance is in spec. I purchased a new Honda valve cover gasket. I followed the service manual to the letter. I made sure the gasket was seated. I used a dab of grease on the corners to make sure the gasket wouldn't fall out when i reinstalled. The front half moon has the silicone in the corners. The gasket refuses to seal for the 10th time. I cannot for the life of me see what I am missing. I'm hoping someone on here can give me a clue. Thank You

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was doing my valve adjustment maintenance and the valve clearance is in spec. I purchased a new Honda valve cover gasket. I followed the service manual to the letter. I made sure the gasket was seated. I used a dab of grease on the corners to make sure the gasket wouldn't fall out when i reinstalled. The front half moon has the silicone in the corners. The gasket refuses to seal for the 10th time. I cannot for the life of me see what I am missing. I'm hoping someone on here can give me a clue. Thank You
I'm not familiar with this particular gasket as I've not messed with mine....(Don't fix it if it ain't broke type thing)

Are you torqued down correctly?
Did you make sure everything was cleaned off properly before new gasket went down?
Where is it leaking from?

Load some pictures of you can and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon enough.

Good luck 👍

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Few questions, did you clean both surfaces the head and the valve cover after removing the gasket? If so how did you clean it and with what?
Also, was the mating surface dry before installing the gasket?
Last but not least, did you torque the valve cover down in sequence and in spec?

If you didnt use an abrasive on the head and valve cover when you cleand it up. Id try a new “dry” gasket and put on a dab of Red RTV on both sides of the gasket before torquing it down and let it sit and cure over night

Reactions: Rayger143
D

DonG

Oct 24, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Few questions, did you clean both surfaces the head and the valve cover after removing the gasket? If so how did you clean it and with what?
Also, was the mating surface dry before installing the gasket?
Last but not least, did you torque the valve cover down in sequence and in spec?

If you didnt use an abrasive on the head and valve cover when you cleand it up. Id try a new “dry” gasket and put on a dab of Red RTV on both sides of the gasket before torquing it down and let it sit and cure over night
Yeah, both surfaces were clean and dry. I used fresh parts cleaning solvent and a rag. I don't use any abrasives on aluminum. The torque was set to 7 ft lbs. I really am down to applying the RTV but, I just don't understand why I should have to on a rubber gasket. I'm a firm believer in putting things back the way I found them.

D

DonG

Oct 24, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not familiar with this particular gasket as I've not messed with mine....(Don't fix it if it ain't broke type thing)

Are you torqued down correctly?
Did you make sure everything was cleaned off properly before new gasket went down?
Where is it leaking from?

Load some pictures of you can and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon enough.

Good luck 👍
Yes, on the first 2 questions. The leak is coming out of the lower LH corner. I don't have access currently or I would snap you a photo.

Reactions: Rayger143