Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Any advice on tires that won’t tear sidewalls?
6810B3B7 8AAF 49C8 8789 1395BDEFF5A2
DE8126E8 B834 49A5 8CCD ED77BD6BB679

The second picture is after I rallied back to the truck on the rim. #effit

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Besides the obvious of trying to drive so rocks can't cut the sidewalls, any rubber tire is susceptible to this damage. That said tires made for rocky terrain do seem to be more durable and resistant to sidewall cuts. ( STI Roctane XD) for example, but thier tread isn't the best in deep mud.

Aside from tire choice it is smart to carry a Sidewall Slug or two. They can usually get you back going in a few minutes assuming you carry a small air compressor. The Sidewall Slug will usually hold up to the remainder of your ride until you can properly repair or replace the tire. See below:

This was my machine we used it on and it held up for an additional 60 mile ride and was still holding air 4 days later.

The smaller orange piece with the bolt head goes in through the cut, then you pull it tight against both sides of the sidewall using the cable inside the bolt, finally tighten it into position with the small nut to make an airtight seal and air up tire. If satisfied with position cut the excess bolt threads off with a pair of side cuts next to the nut you just tightened.
Rs w 1800 h 1800 1ac83a6b 1423 47ad a3fb fc14aa3034af 1024x1024

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Besides the obvious of trying to drive so rocks can't cut the sidewalls, any rubber tire is susceptible to this damage. That said tires made for rocky terrain do seem to be more durable and resistant to sidewall cuts. ( STI Roctane XD) for example, but thier tread isn't the best in deep mud.

Aside from tire choice it is smart to carry a Sidewall Slug or two. They can usually get you back going in a few minutes assuming you carry a small air compressor. The Sidewall Slug will usually hold up to the remainder of your ride until you can properly repair or replace the tire. See below:

This was my machine we used it on and it held up for an additional 60 mile ride and was still holding air 4 days later.

The smaller orange piece with the bolt head goes in through the cut, then you pull it tight against both sides of the sidewall using the cable inside the bolt, finally tighten it into position with the small nut to make an airtight seal and air up tire. If satisfied with position cut the excess bolt threads off with a pair of side cuts next to the nut you just tightened.
View attachment 211726
Nice, just ordered from the store....👍

Reactions: Mudwing
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Anyone have any experience with these?

triple layer kevlar sidewalls.
I know 2 people who bought into the kevlar radial tires and both experienced more flats than they did with the regular radial tires. So may not make a difference. @Hondasxs you care to add your kevlar flat experiences?

Your best defense always will be paying attention to the rocks in your path and selecting a line where your sidewall doesn't hit the protruding sharp edges.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
$275 for the cheapest tire I saw on the site and they went up to nearly $400 a tire. I can buy a lot of replacement tires for that difference in cost.
True.

I want to be able to run 40 mph through the rocks though. 🧐

maybe I need airless.......

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I know 2 people who bought into the kevlar radial tires and both experienced more flats than they did with the regular radial tires. So may not make a difference. @Hondasxs you care to add your kevlar flat experiences?

Your best defense always will be paying attention to the rocks in your path and selecting a line where your sidewall doesn't hit the protruding sharp edges.
Were they using MRT tires?

(not your standard “radial”)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True.

I want to be able to run 40 mph through the rocks though. 🧐

maybe I need airless.......
I see.
The P500 doesn't really want to run 40 mph ... anywhere...ever. Not even on a freshly paved highway going downhill. 🤣
I do love the thing though.

• Haha
Reactions: Backwoods
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I see.
The P500 doesn't really want to run 40 mph ... anywhere...ever. Not even on a freshly paved highway going downhill. 🤣
I do love the thing though.
Maybe I should crushlok some assassinators?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Were they using MRT tires?

(not your standard “radial”)
Pretty sure it was Tusk Terrabites

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Pretty sure it was Tusk Terrabites

Ah the tusk tearasidewalls. 😂

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I am running the MRT tires with Kevlar in them and they have been really good! I run fast and hard usually and they have taken zero sidewall cuts....800 miles of Ride Royal Blue and Tackett Creek! Been on most of the hard trails. They stick like mad and handling is awesome! They are also pretty light. The only complaint is they will wear faster than lots....but I have zero other complaints....well I do wish they weren't as expensive!)

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I am running the MRT tires with Kevlar in them and they have been really good! I run fast and hard usually and they have taken zero sidewall cuts....800 miles of Ride Royal Blue and Tackett Creek! Been on most of the hard trails. They stick like mad and handling is awesome! They are also pretty light. The only complaint is they will wear faster than lots....but I have zero other complaints....well I do wish they weren't as expensive!)
Maybe I’ll Still have to get a set for rocky rides. 😬

just ordered these xm310’s with sb3 beadlocks.
ABC14DCE CD44 4DAA AB03 7987EA832EB2

Reactions: Hometeam
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!