P1000 Videos

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are most of yall using to make the videos .... Go Pro or something similar? I am not looking at any first class, high bucks option, just something with fairly clear pic/sound.

Reactions: BWAF
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are most of yall using to make the videos .... Go Pro or something similar? I am not looking at any first class, high bucks option, just something with fairly clear pic/sound.

Garmin virb xe. They are discontinued so snatch them up quick if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Garmin virb xe. They are discontinued so snatch them up quick if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best I found for the xe was about $365, and x for $229. Not being familiar with them, I have not been able to determine any difference between them. Do you have any knowledge about the 'x' model?

I found this video that explains both models.......

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Picked up a older GoPro Hero 3 a few years back for cheap ( i forget, but well under what a new one costs). Use the GP software usually, but haven't in a few years. Used to work OK, but some aspects will drive you apes*** unless they've improved it. It is free. Also used Windows movie maker. GP's don't have good sound pickup in the protective cases (again, unless they've improved). Even the open one.

The stuff the Virbs put up is pretty cool (like @drfubar's vids). Inclinometers and such.

Unless you are just going just let it run and then edit hours of video later, trying to make a "video production" out of a ride is a great way to ruin it.

Reactions: BigOL3 and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked up a older GoPro Hero 3 a few years back for cheap ( i forget, but well under what a new one costs). Use the GP software usually, but haven't in a few years. Used to work OK, but some aspects will drive you apes*** unless they've improved it. It is free. Also used Windows movie maker. GP's don't have good sound pickup in the protective cases (again, unless they've improved). Even the open one.

The stuff the Virbs put up is pretty cool (like @drfubar's vids). Inclinometers and such.

Unless you are just going just let it run and then edit hours of video later, trying to make a "video production" out of a ride is a great way to ruin it.
Really, I can not see me spending much time editing a video. I was thinking more along the lines of turn it on when on the trail, and turn it off when dead time comes along.

Reactions: BWAF and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Really, I can not see me spending much time editing a video. I was thinking more along the lines of turn it on when on the trail, and turn it off when dead time comes along.
Thats what i do most of the time and it usually is ok, but sometimes the remote doesn't work, or something else, or...

In the meantime you're stopped on the trail trying to get things going, so it interrupts the flow...so to speak, but isn't too bad. A lot of it is prob GoPro related, as GP software like the video editor or remote apps are just plain stubborn at times (its been a year or 2 since I've used them, so could have improved). GP also had a dedicated remote that may work better, but i don't think it has a preview screen like the app (so you can see what your filming if you want). The gopro itself has buttons to do this, but they are difficult with gloves and usually not in a place where you can reach easily (on the cage, bumper, etc).
Then there is batt life (standby-ie ready to record takes more juice than off). Extra batteries can solve this, but now you got to stop to switch them...

And for some reason...all the cool stuff seems to happen when the camera is off or dead.

Again, what you propose is usually what i do, and its not too much of a hassle...and newer stuff (or Garmin) may help this, BUT...

Here's the thing: Why are you doing the videos? Just to save videos? Then anything will get it done.

I personally tend to want to try (and usually fail) to look a bit more professional in mine. There are one million videos of SxS's out there going through mud holes shot from the cage with nothing else in the video. That usually gets boring to me after a while, so i try and add some action shots (tripod, trailside) in with it, or some cell or handheld footage. Now your stopping to set up, then running down the trail and returning for the shot, etc. Pretty soon, you've wasted a significant amount of time on the ride NOT riding. Having buddies who know how to hold a cell phone horizontal while filming, and how to frame a shot (ie-NOT filming their feet while you hit the widow maker ) would help a TON...but from what I've seen, aren't many of those out there. I mostly have to do it alone, which doesn't help.

Guess it depends on what you want out of it...

Reactions: BigOL3 and BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well....after posting this i went and snooped around gopros site and...
Looks like Studio is no longer supported. They now a have thing called "Quik". After fooling with it for a bit, it's like a even s***ter, less feature filled version of Studio. Literally froze every time i clicked something.

AND WHY do i have to create an account to use a free video editing software ON MY COMPUTER? Much less one that doesn't work very well? I swear to God, its impossible to do anything anonymously these days.

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well....after posting this i went and snooped around gopros site and...
Looks like Studio is no longer supported. They now a have thing called "Quik". After fooling with it for a bit, it's like a even s***ter, less feature filled version of Studio. Literally froze every time i clicked something.

AND WHY do i have to create an account to use a free video editing software ON MY COMPUTER? Much less one that doesn't work very well? I swear to God, its impossible to do anything anonymously these days.

GARMIN...

Works much better doesn’t crash, and the camera is so much more well made.

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Garmin XE has a setting that will automatically stop recording when you stop and start back when you are moving again. I have not tried this feature but I do have a remote to mine that I use to start recording and stop.

Also when you get into the Virb editing software it has so many options of what measurements you want to display , more than you have seen in videos posted here, granted a lot will not apply but the Garmin records a lot of information. If you have 2 or 3 Garmin it will sync them all together. The studio let’s you create a template of a gage/ display setup if you want so that you can consistently have the same video after video.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Garmin XE has a setting that will automatically stop recording when you stop and start back when you are moving again. I have not tried this feature but I do have a remote to mine that I use to start recording and stop.

Also when you get into the Virb editing software it has so many options of what measurements you want to display , more than you have seen in videos posted here, granted a lot will not apply but the Garmin records a lot of information. If you have 2 or 3 Garmin it will sync them all together. The studio let’s you create a template of a gage/ display setup if you want so that you can consistently have the same video after video.

It has a start stop feature but I try to record other people when I’m stopped. I have a remote velcroed to the upper ROPS crossbar. When I use it for a dash cam I like to have it on all the time just in case something happens while I’m at a stop sign or traffic light.

The multi cam is really nice because you can swap back and forth in software.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really, at this point I am not inclined to trying to make professional videos. Rather, to record memories to show family/friends and post a few here. At this time, I am not in a situation that I could install it anyway, would be at least June. No use in buying now and wasting 45 days of a one year warranty. Probably just wait until June and look for a good sale on the Ultra 30.