P1000 Burping coolant search. WHY is it there are little to no videos on this?!?

cdoerhoff

cdoerhoff

May 23, 2021
St Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 and it overheats after about 20 mins of riding. The radiator is clean and it was suggested that the first time it overheated may have put air in the coolant lines. My owner's manual says only the dealer can do coolant change. Why are there no videos on how to get to the thermostat and bleeder bolt? Do I get to it from the front seat?
Oh and I snapped a few of those push in the center clips removing the interior panels. Anyone have a link to buy those?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 and it overheats after about 20 mins of riding. The radiator is clean and it was suggested that the first time it overheated may have put air in the coolant lines. My owner's manual says only the dealer can do coolant change. Why are there no videos on how to get to the thermostat and bleeder bolt? Do I get to it from the front seat?
Oh and I snapped a few of those push in the center clips removing the interior panels. Anyone have a link to buy those?
WerFamily Push Type Cowl Clip Nylon Retainer Fastener A 19231 91505-SL0-003 for Honda
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6FOVAI?tag=sxsweb24-20

MOTOALL 100 x ATV Fender Clips Push Retainer Fasteners Fit Honda 90653-HC4-900 7661855 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94T971?tag=sxsweb24-20

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics and more info, but pics most of all...

more info includes, miles, new, used, history, does cooling fan actually come on, is fan running correct direction, picture of your "clean" radiator, is there coolant in it, doest stat open, etc.....

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
need pics and more info, but pics most of all...

more info includes, miles, new, used, history, does cooling fan actually come on, is fan running correct direction, picture of your "clean" radiator, is there coolant in it, doest stat open, etc.....
Ive asked him this 3 times and citations issued. I think since he joined. He dosnt like our rules I guess 🤷‍♂️ 😂

cdoerhoff

cdoerhoff

May 23, 2021
St Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive asked him this 3 times and citations issued. I think since he joined. He dosnt like our rules I guess 🤷‍♂️
Sorry. I haven't been online for quite sometime. I thought I answered these to someone the someone recommended bleeding air in the line. I don't use forums much and everyone responding I missed any questions. 584 miles. Just took that pic. Bought the buggy new. Fan comes on. Yes there is coolant in the radiator and reservoir. Initially it overheated (I assume) to mud in the radiator. Cleaned and has overheated several time after.

IMG 5198 IMG 5200

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry. I haven't been online for quite sometime. I thought I answered these to someone the someone recommended bleeding air in the line. I don't use forums much and everyone responding I missed any questions. 584 miles. Just took that pic. Bought the buggy new. Fan comes on. Yes there is coolant in the radiator and reservoir. Initially it overheated (I assume) to mud in the radiator. Cleaned and has overheated several time after.

View attachment 377139 View attachment 377140
from the pic - radiator looks clogged\blocked\fouled\fuc5ed, not clean, unless its shadows some fins are 50% blocked - I don't assume its clean on my talon until water is clear on backside when hosing from front

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
from the pic - radiator looks clogged\blocked\fouled\fuc5ed, not clean, unless its shadows some fins are 50% blocked - I don't assume its clean on my talon until water is clear on backside when hosing from front
☝️ ☝️☝️☝️AGREE☝️☝️☝️☝️

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I understand u are on picture probation - still need a pic of your ride.

Anyway, suggestion is to start with a clean clean radiator as any other troubleshooting is pointless.

Once radiator is cleaned and spotless…..

-when fan runs, is it blowing towards the cab?

-before fan kicks in with radiator cap off, does coolant flow in and out, that will check pump and tstat - while checking if you see any air bubbles - you got air.

Check the Honda parts diagram on line for your ride, you can find the housing/bleeder screw if this gets that far.

-list any modifications, tires, hauling loads, etc. if applicable

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Raise the front end, like parking on the stairs, or winch it up and let it idle for a few minutes; they’ll frequently burp themselves.

cdoerhoff

cdoerhoff

May 23, 2021
St Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
☝️ ☝️☝️☝️AGREE☝️☝️☝️☝️
Yeah. I see that now. Guess who's going to get a washing?

Anyway, suggestion is to start with a clean clean radiator as any other troubleshooting is pointless.

-before fan kicks in with radiator cap off, does coolant flow in and out, that will check pump and tstat - while checking if you see any air bubbles - you got air.

Check the Honda parts diagram on line for your ride, you can find the housing/bleeder screw if this gets that far.

Picture probation?!? Good Lord. Someone in this link was able to see my pics which at closer look does have dirt in the fins. I'm going to clean the radiator then do your test with the cap off. I only have the owners manual but someone posted a link. I've seen a video so I have a general idea where the bleeder screw is. I took the rear panels off and I headed to the front seat panels if needed.
WerFamily Push Type Cowl Clip Nylon Retainer Fastener A 19231 91505-SL0-003 for Honda
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6FOVAI?tag=sxsweb24-20

MOTOALL 100 x ATV Fender Clips Push Retainer Fasteners Fit Honda 90653-HC4-900 7661855 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94T971?tag=sxsweb24-20
thank you. I ordered the clips I need.

Last edited:
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah. I see that now. Guess who's going to get a washing?

Picture probation?!? Good Lord. Someone in this link was able to see my pics which at closer look does have dirt in the fins. I'm going to clean the radiator then do your test with the cap off. I only have the owners manual but someone posted

thank you. I ordered the clips I need.
When you spray your radiator hit it from the front and from the back. Can’t tell you how many people only clean the front and not the back, that muddy water/mud gets pushed into the fins and cakes up.
Good luck.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Do you think you could answer his original question? "My owner's manual says only the dealer can do coolant change. Why are there no videos on how to get to the thermostat and bleeder bolt? Do I get to it from the front seat?" Who made you a picture cop?

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can get to the bleeder thru the front seat on top of the stat but that only helps with the engine not the lines.Its best to do both raise the front and crack the bleeder.If you have a lot of air most will have to come out the rad cap.Take your time cycle the eng a couple times so as not to over heat it.Sensors dont react well to air.

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!