P1000 Warranty on blown engine

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
My buddy just purchased his 1000-5 based on my recommendation and personal endorsement of my own machine and also my previous 2012 big red. He had been out only a handful of time when his engine blew. Warranty is not covering due to "water intrusion" yet he had only been in water up to the floorboards. They showed him pictures of water in the oil. I remember someone else experienced this issue. I'd like some dialogue on experiences and actions taken. He just registered on the forum and not sure if his request has gone through yet on here.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yep that was me. Honda WILL NOT take care of water. If he has insurance they may take care of it with a claim. I'm really sorry to hear another went down its a problem I wish Honda would address. It's a 12k hit on the wallet. These things should be snorkeled the day they are bought it's super cheap insurance! Farmers won't be having problems probably but trail riders be leery. My situation wasn't even to the floor boards but it was a higher rate of speed.

Sent from iPhone

B

Butchyboy

Aug 15, 2016
Parkersburg WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally,Maybe someone will read this,My buddy Butch has a brand new 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000,255 miles and about 4 rides,First two rides were kinda long,over 100 miles so back to the shop it went for oil change for the warranty,Plus he bought the extended warranty,48 months I think.
We went riding southern part of West Virginia,Several machines at this location,all of which made it thru mud puddle just barley over his floor board.His bike quite running thru puddle,was still moving but motor quit.We took plugs out and were dry and perfect condition.Air filter behind seat was clean and dry.New machine would not run,towed back to camp,took back to shop,Shop says water in the engine and not covered under warranty.
$8,200 some dollars to fix it.We are all experienced riders,This is making me and everybody that knows my ol buddy Butch very sick he's 55 years old,So were not crazy young mudders,Shop said electrical box was wet too.
We were wondering if the shop is turning warranty into Honda then hosing my buddy Butch for 8 plus grand.
There was 9 of us on our ride,all of us can't believe this even happened.
Another question,when they changed the oil couldn't they have left something open that allowed the water to get in the machine?
Who is there to check on the dealer to make sure the dealer isn't ripping him off?
any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally,Maybe someone will read this,My buddy Butch has a brand new 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000,255 miles and about 4 rides,First two rides were kinda long,over 100 miles so back to the shop it went for oil change for the warranty,Plus he bought the extended warranty,48 months I think.
We went riding southern part of West Virginia,Several machines at this location,all of which made it thru mud puddle just barley over his floor board.His bike quite running thru puddle,was still moving but motor quit.We took plugs out and were dry and perfect condition.Air filter behind seat was clean and dry.New machine would not run,towed back to camp,took back to shop,Shop says water in the engine and not covered under warranty.
$8,200 some dollars to fix it.We are all experienced riders,This is making me and everybody that knows my ol buddy Butch very sick he's 55 years old,So were not crazy young mudders,Shop said electrical box was wet too.
We were wondering if the shop is turning warranty into Honda then hosing my buddy Butch for 8 plus grand.
There was 9 of us on our ride,all of us can't believe this even happened.
Another question,when they changed the oil couldn't they have left something open that allowed the water to get in the machine?
Who is there to check on the dealer to make sure the dealer isn't ripping him off?
any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Dealers can be shady but I sure couldn't see them doing that. And no the amount of water to take one of these out cannot enter through the fill plug. If there was any water found the will not cover it. The design of the air intake on this vehicle will allow water to collect in the intake hose under the pass seat. What happened to me was about a 9 in puddle. We had been splashing a bit through puddles on the trails and roads just like most people would and on the last puddle it just coasted out dead. I believe a little water collects each time till it fills up the lower cavity and takes in about two quarts directly into the motor. I'm sure your buddy had that amount extra in the crank case. Filter was wet however my plugs were dry as well. In my mind it's the worst design flaw on a pioneer and needs to be addressed with a snorkel! Or stay away from water, I NEVER SWAMPED my machine and will continue to say that because people need to understand it's not just wading through a lake. It was simply puddles. Joeys snorkel was installed within an hour of ownership of my new ride I suggest to everyone to do the same. Dc2d2d974e72845fae4f70503ca69534

There are many great ideas from plenty of members here on snorkels. Ask around people are very willing to help and it's very reasonable-just do it please

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another piece of advice... Check your air pipe clamps/connector fittings.
Mine were loose as were other members'. I could spin most around the pipe connectors by hand. Even if snorkeled, water could have gotten in.
I tightened mine good - especially considering the vacuum this engine creates under throttle. I don't want a single drop getting sucked in if I can help it. Even though I don't go looking for water, you never know what nature may throw your way.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another piece of advice... Check your air pipe clamps/connector fittings.
Mine were loose as were other members'. I could spin most around the pipe connectors by hand. Even if snorkeled, water could have gotten in.
I tightened mine good - especially considering the vacuum this engine creates under throttle. I don't want a single drop getting sucked in if I can help it. Even though I don't go looking for water, you never know what nature may throw your way.
I 2nd the check your intake hose clamps. After CP's unfortunate event I went through all of my clamps and found all but one to be loose.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is more BS!! How can Honda prove or disprove water intrusion by swamping if they deny the claims? It is very possible that the intake system was lose causing water/dust intrusion... This is crap!! Glorified golf cart!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZhunter

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is more BS!! How can Honda prove or disprove water intrusion by swamping if they deny the claims? It is very possible that the intake system was lose causing water/dust intrusion... This is crap!! Glorified golf cart!!

Lol.. You're fired up! I could have pulled the pipe out by hand on my Yamaha Wolverine if it was mounted differently. It was looser than my P1000. I don't care what it is, if I'm off-roading it I'm doing my own checks and PM.
Part of owning equipment. Same with my JD 4010 I just got- went through and tightened what I found loose. Was missing alemytes also on the front knuckles. I just put some new ones in. No sweat.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So you know it's pretty obvious because it comes in the front end and goes back. I'm as big a Honda guy as anyone here and tried hard to come up with a different route but when you have water all the way through it is pretty obvious. I'm not trying to say anything here but this isn't caused by loose clamps,factory cracked cases,oil caps off. It's a lot of water being held. With that being said many manufacturers have had the same problem and people seem to have forgotten about them. Honda did change the intake from the previous design to better the vehicle. It's an easy fix for people knowing. It's not like a Polaris with the same problem at least when its addressed on the pioneer it's not still a piece of crap. As far as golf cart...this is a very capable dependable vehicle and you'll really piss people off with that statement. You've kinda been causing some hell in here from what I've seen and not sure why?!

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol.. You're fired up! I could have pulled the pipe out by hand on my Yamaha Wolverine if it was mounted differently. It was looser than my P1000. I don't care what it is, if I'm off-roading it I'm doing my own checks and PM.
Part of owning equipment. Same with my JD 4010 I just got- went through and tightened what I found loose. Was missing alemytes also on the front knuckles. I just put some new ones in. No sweat.
I agree with checking your rig. It's a very smart move. It seems all sxs manufacturing leaves a little loose I'm not a fan at all of that but I'm positive this will improve with time for Honda.

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So you know it's pretty obvious because it comes in the front end and goes back. I'm as big a Honda guy as anyone here and tried hard to come up with a different route but when you have water all the way through it is pretty obvious. I'm not trying to say anything here but this isn't caused by loose clamps,factory cracked cases,oil caps off. It's a lot of water being held. With that being said many manufacturers have had the same problem and people seem to have forgotten about them. Honda did change the intake from the previous design to better the vehicle. It's an easy fix for people knowing. It's not like a Polaris with the same problem at least when its addressed on the pioneer it's not still a piece of crap. As far as golf cart...this is a very capable dependable vehicle and you'll really piss people off with that statement. You've kinda been causing some hell in here from what I've seen and not sure why?!

Sent from iPhone
Agreed! I'm thinking the member name says it all! It's like we always say...Pictures or it never happened!o_O

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ditto my friend

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CP said it best! Snorkel snorkel snorkel!!! Even if it's a piece of dryer vent running back up under the dash. Even if you never run near a body of water. Mud puddles can be found anywhere. No downside to doing it and you have everything to gain.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just spent a chunk of change on mine. I am itching to go out and play. But no snorkel. Until I get it, that pretty new machine is staying in the garage. And people, don't forget to vent everything.

Great forum by the way.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just spent a chunk of change on mine. I am itching to go out and play. But no snorkel. Until I get it, that pretty new machine is staying in the garage. And people, don't forget to vent everything.

Great forum by the way.
Great to have you

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Glorified golf cart?...I guess a school bus is a glorified mini van. Lol

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sent from iPhone
BECAUSE HE'S A
Troll

Reactions: joeymt33
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
so this is my buddies rig this happened to.... bud sadly enough, i completely swamped mine. oil was milkshake, could hear water burbling in the snorkel tube, filter soaked.... damn thing works fine. water was so bad it was cutting out and throwing codes since the air filter was soaked. yet no blown engine and no clutch issues either and i beat the hell out of mine.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
i really think the power created is maybe a bit much for the design. unfortunately it seems like water intrusion is honda's go to scapegoat. very disappointed..... honda's are known for reliability and being able to be beat on for years and years. i had hoped this was going to be a game changing machine, but i'm thinking they might have missed the mark on this one and its really turning into a learning experience for them. they've already changed their design on clutch packs, and now the new models with have more updates to the line pressure system for the clutch packs. they had issues with balancers.... loose doors.... quality control, shoot my coolant reservoir bolts came loose and it was dangling by the hose. sorry just complaining.....

Reactions: AZhunter
advertisement