P1000 Warranty on blown engine

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i really think the power created is maybe a bit much for the design. unfortunately it seems like water intrusion is honda's go to scapegoat. very disappointed..... honda's are known for reliability and being able to be beat on for years and years. i had hoped this was going to be a game changing machine, but i'm thinking they might have missed the mark on this one and its really turning into a learning experience for them. they've already changed their design on clutch packs, and now the new models with have more updates to the line pressure system for the clutch packs. they had issues with balancers.... loose doors.... quality control, shoot my coolant reservoir bolts came loose and it was dangling by the hose. sorry just complaining.....
I haven't heard about the design change with the line pressure /EOP system. Please elaborate.
Also, like the other guy who recently posted saying it was shallow puddle then proceeded to say the hood did submerge... that's not a design issue. If your intake goes under you'll suck in water. Pretty simple as you know.
Anything can and will have issues and outliers that deviate from the center or standard. However, for example, submerging your intake below the watershed line is not an outlier or issue.
Please do elaborate on your line pressure change statement though, I am interested.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I get mines back I will be snorkeling it for sure lesson learned lol.

Some flirt more then others with water, some get by and some don't. My lesson was learned.

Sent from iPhone

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
I haven't heard about the design change with the line pressure /EOP system. Please elaborate.
Also, like the other guy who recently posted saying it was shallow puddle then proceeded to say the hood did submerge... that's not a design issue. If your intake goes under you'll suck in water. Pretty simple as you know.
Anything can and will have issues and outliers that deviate from the center or standard. However, for example, submerging your intake below the watershed line is not an outlier or issue.
Please do elaborate on your line pressure change statement though, I am interested.

i'd have to go dig for the thread, but someone noticed on the new 2017 models that will be released, they at least moved the line pressure sensor closer to the clutches. not sure what else as i didn't study the new design.

Reactions: 500
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Some flirt more then others with water, some get by and some don't. My lesson was learned.

Sent from iPhone

issue is his only went floorboard deep. the design of the intake being offset, having a drain and foam... should more than handle any splashing. the significant issue is the the airbox/plenum has no reservior nor drain. neither does the snorkel system which is a horrible design by how low it has to go. plus should you happen to get some water in it, then it isn't going right into the engine, it has to wash past the rings on the pistons. my guess is there was a significant failure due to manufacturing defects, but hey lets blame water intrusion.

Reactions: Derrick
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
this is exactly why i've been working on a fabricated aluminum replacement airbox. it puts the filter up top, has a top entry point for a 3" snorkel. puts the air box above the engine. incorporates a sump with a drain. heck maybe i can eventually do it on a 3-d plastic printer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
On my machine the water didn't even circulate through the transmission. The trans oil was perfect. Two quarts of water in the crank case and none in the shared oil transmission absolutely tells me it all entered the motor extremely fast. There is no questioning that, been there. And yes I should've mentioned the tube needs a drain that is a problem as well. I almost installed a water detector that would send signal to a light on the dash but decided the snorkel was enough

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
this is exactly why i've been working on a fabricated aluminum replacement airbox. it puts the filter up top, has a top entry point for a 3" snorkel. puts the air box above the engine. incorporates a sump with a drain. heck maybe i can eventually do it on a 3-d plastic printer.
That is a very good idea on manufacturing stand point. One word of caution is that the manufacturers (not just Honda)are always looking for a way out of warranty and I'm positive a redesigned air box will be on that list. While I was talking to both Honda rep and my dealer they said the snorkel I was planning after the incident would be acceptable because it still used all the factory equipment. If done I think I'd still try to figure a way to incorporate at least the factory designed filter.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
yup... this design would completely replace all OEM but require 0 modification. basically if you blew your engine you could bolt the OEM stuff back on and just play dumb. would also include vent line extensions and differential bellows.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a good idea.

Sent from iPhone

advertisement

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
issue is his only went floorboard deep. the design of the intake being offset, having a drain and foam... should more than handle any splashing. the significant issue is the the airbox/plenum has no reservior nor drain. neither does the snorkel system which is a horrible design by how low it has to go. plus should you happen to get some water in it, then it isn't going right into the engine, it has to wash past the rings on the pistons. my guess is there was a significant failure due to manufacturing defects, but hey lets blame water intrusion.
Curious - what do you think the "possible defect" is that could cause failure given you are possibly ruling out water intrusion? Are you saying there is somewhere else water could have entered aside form the intake/piping, or are you saying water was not the cause of the failure? I can't remember if your friend's was the one that locked up, or if was due to something else.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
It sounds to me that if he was only floor board deep and not rushing into the water making a wall of water hit the front intake then the only way it could have entered the motor is loose air intake pipes that run the length of the bottom....definitely gonna double check all my couplings. If they were loose and u were sitting in water that deep it would suck water in!!

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reading the owners manual, which I am doing until my snorkel gets here, on page 104, it says "if water level is above the floorboard, do not start your engine. Take your Honda sxs to your dealer for service." Floorboard? Like 12". Sounds as if they know they have an issue. I know they are overly cautious, but if they only have confidence that you can cross water up to floor board level, there is an issue. This also gives them, in writing, a means to deny warranty. As others say, snorkel snorkel snorkel. I'm also going to check every connection and add a little rtv around each joint just to add a little extra protection.

Reactions: joeymt33

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reading the owners manual, which I am doing until my snorkel gets here, on page 104, it says "if water level is above the floorboard, do not start your engine. Take your Honda sxs to your dealer for service." Floorboard? Like 12". Sounds as if they know they have an issue. I know they are overly cautious, but if they only have confidence that you can cross water up to floor board level, there is an issue. This also gives them, in writing, a means to deny warranty. As others say, snorkel snorkel snorkel. I'm also going to check every connection and add a little rtv around each joint just to add a little extra protection.
Attorneys. They have to put this stuff in the manual. It gives plausible deniability for consumers if they weren't overtly blatant and cautious with their statements and allowances. Without saying, specifically, "don't do this or that" a consumer can deny they had any guidance or otherwise reason not to do the act. Attorneys have to write these rules into the manuals and guidelines for mfg's liabity. I would not read too much into it. They damn sure aren't gonna say you can submerge this thing up until 1/2 inch below the intake. Who then writes in the language for how fast you can or can't be moving to cause the water to break the threshold? See my point... Most mfg's actually say don't go deeper than center of hubs for this very reason.
This is not an indictment of the unit's capabilities, but rather an indictment of mankind's ignorance.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
want to snorkel it out between the bed and the back of the front seat and use the space from the air intake to hood scoop to put air in to the motor compartment to cool thing down. what do you think ? Been looking at that sense I seen CP problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
want to snorkel it out between the bed and the back of the front seat and use the space from the air intake to hood scoop to put air in to the motor compartment to cool thing down. what do you think ? Been looking at that sense I seen CP problem.
perry I think that'll be just fine. Not 100% sure why you'd be wanting to add more air under the hood unless dilute the hot air coming into the cab however if that's the case I could see that helping a little. I do believe for water the cab mount is better at almost no chance however your filter changes will increase a bit. With fall/winter coming though please do something. I don't want to hear the tragedy happening to any more of us. Got a bad feeling it's going to get busy soon take precautions now.

There are lots on here that went that way maybe someone here can give him some good pointers help a brother out.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the end of the day, you could be driving this POS I ran across on CL -- "2015 Polaris Ranger Crew 900 with 200 miles. New wheel bearings all the way around also new a-arm bushings on front...." --
Needed wheel bearings - not just one, ALL of them - at 200 miles? LOL

advertisement