Waterproof amplifiers

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been wanting to add a little more to my stereo. Im running a 50x4 regular head unit. But i have 4 pod speakers that can handle about 200 rms. Any one ever tried this pyle amp? 4c57c495e9f20435c7bfade1e686ea41

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

R

rickoshea

it's ok,not great.make sure you have room for air flow or it will get really hot.i had that one in my old boat.it did what it was expected to do,good for the money.personally,i wouldn't spend big dollars for a utv amp.you need to play around with the gain to get good sound.something to be aware of before you tuck it up out of the way.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have a smaller Pyle hydra that replaced an even smaller Kenwood. The Pyle, even bridged to 2 channel wasn't as good as the kenwood unbridged. I now refer to it as my pyle of s***.

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Iv actually been running a pyle head unit for the last 6 yrs but 800watts trumps 200 watts. Just seeing if i can get a little louder crisper sound . I do like the orions though but just looking for something cheap at the moment. If it gets messed up then ill just go back to my head unit.

Reactions: russknight
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
True but its the same supplier in this case so guess ill find out next weekend when i install it.

Reactions: trigger
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did this for my sxs.

Check this out at Amazon.com
Kenwood KAC-M1814 4-Channel Compact Bridgeable Marine/Motorsports 400W Max Power Digital Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZWHVWS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

CEA 2006 compliant rating which means its certified at the RMS ratings (45) per channel, total RMS output, db rating and signal to noise ratio, as advertised.
Meaning - ( " it weel cuttt".) do what it says it will.

I've done a couple motorcycle installs with these in saddlebags and under the seat. No complaints for what they are.
Not waterproof by the way.
If you want something truly rated for weather exposure, go Polk Audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan_Vander
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just a FYI, Orion is a great company. One of my amps, an Orion CB5000.1D monoblock, has a separate bass control.The amp is about 4 years old, well outside the warranty period and has been subjected to the harsh environment of buggy life. The bass control started acting up, and I couldn't find a direct replacement on their website, so I called them. They sent me a new one free of charge. Didn't even have to pay freight. I highly recommend Orion products.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im not really worried about how it will hold up to the element near as much as price vs power. Without this amp. Im sitting at 4 speakers. 2-4.5 inch boss with tweeters. And 2-8 inch boss pods. Which i got on a deal. A gimbal housing and head unit. With wire maybe 200 bucks total if i count the switch i put it on. And its loud. Im just only pushing maybe 1/4 of the rms watts on the speakers. Id need 2 of those kenwoods to get what id want out of the speakers. Although its usually true wattage with kenwood and pyle probably only looking at 75% actual wattage use before distortion. But just cant bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on the off chance of it getting destroyed by water. If i was id definitely go with an old kicker 250 or 500. Or a planet audio 650.2. just realized walmart is selling kickers now. . The speakers i have are water proof.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is the one I have. It is what it is. Loud and has never failed.

IMG 3514

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
That came with the remote and all the hook up wires? Thats a good price.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a kenwood KAC-3004 bridged on pair of polk db 6.5" components and a KAC-M3001 on polk db 8" subwoofer behind a wetsounds bluetooth switch. These amps are marine rated but not waterproof. I've ran them more than two years without a problem. They put out alot of power for their size, producing clean and loud sound.

Heres both on a dyno:

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
These amps are marine rated but not waterproof.

None of them are truly waterproof because they use a heat sink for cooling and would burn up in a sealed environment. Marine adds a corrosion protective coating to the circuitry. Waterproof adds a more resistant case to being splashed but none are meant to be submerged.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did this for my sxs.

Check this out at Amazon.com
Kenwood KAC-M1814 4-Channel Compact Bridgeable Marine/Motorsports 400W Max Power Digital Amplifier Amazon.com: Kenwood KAC-M1814 4-Channel Compact Bridgeable Marine/Motorsports 400W Max Power Digital Amplifier: Automotive

CEA 2006 compliant rating which means its certified at the RMS ratings (45) per channel, total RMS output, db rating and signal to noise ratio, as advertised.
Meaning - ( " it weel cuttt".) do what it says it will.

I've done a couple motorcycle installs with these in saddlebags and under the seat. No complaints for what they are.
Not waterproof by the way.
If you want something truly rated for weather exposure, go Polk Audio.

Update-
Sending the Kenwood Amp back today.
" It wheel not cut" hate to say but it doesn't provide any more power than the stock head unit.
Do not buy..

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update-
Sending the Kenwood Amp back today.
" It wheel not cut" hate to say but it doesn't provide any more power than the stock head unit.
Do not buy..
Ouch. Well i got the pyle put in today. I have to get a static canceler or what ever its called. I have some clipping from engine noise. But it woke my speakers up. Engine noise is only there below 20/40on the volume. Which is talking level. At 35. No distortion and easily louder than the head unit alone at about 28-29 on my volume knob is where 40/max use to be. But with no distortion till around 38. Overall. Id say its a good buy. Ran it inside my gimbal housing wide open for about an hr. Got warm to the touch. But not hot. But it is 80 degrees outside

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!