seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'll be installing my TrueAm here in the next couple days and was wondering if anyone has had moisture or water infiltration issues with their isolators? I was considering sealing up the "remote crank disconnect" spade port and around the ground wire with silicone or liquid tape, but then i got to wondering if it needed to "breathe" to prevent condensation inside the housing during temperature changes. Any advise would be appreciated.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes seal it with RVT like you have stock in the company.

This brings up a question for this noob. My other passion is boats, and people have start/house batteries with isolators in that world too. I was a bit surprised to see the True units are not water/dustproof. I have Voltage sensing relay units that I have used on boats that are fully sealed and was wondering if there is anything special about the True unit that makes it better for UTV use. I might just use my favorite epoxy potted marine unit when I install a second battery unless there's something unique about the UTV application/True unit.

Reactions: seig
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This brings up a question for this noob. My other passion is boats, and people have start/house batteries with isolators in that world too. I was a bit surprised to see the True units are not water/dustproof. I have Voltage sensing relay units that I have used on boats that are fully sealed and was wondering if there is anything special about the True unit that makes it better for UTV use. I might just use my favorite epoxy potted marine unit when I install a second battery unless there's something unique about the UTV application/True unit.

Yes

Blue Sea Systems ML-ACR 12V DC 500A Automatic Charging Relay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C7CJHC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The TrueAm isolator is in fact listed as waterproof.

Though I dont see it as a "highlighted feature" as it should be.

I have sold many and only had 1 falure I still believe was related to the battery. I will check with TrueAm next time I speak with them and get a reply on this topic.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yep in the boating world the two goto suppliers are Blue Seas and Yandina. Be interesting to hear what True has to say. True is a bit cheaper.

Typically boaters also install switches with capability to line up or parallel different batteries to the engine(s) for start/house service.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The BlueSea unit I posted above has a switch that lets you force join them, its waterproof and 500amp rated so good enough for a winch to pull through as well. Installed it on a friends machine and I will be putting it on my next one got it saved in my Amazon cart.

Ive had moisture in my TrueIso and thats just from washing it down because I am NOT a mudder and it stays in a semi-conditioned garage unless we are riding.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
I'll be installing my TrueAm here in the next couple days and was wondering if anyone has had moisture or water infiltration issues with their isolators? I was considering sealing up the "remote crank disconnect" spade port and around the ground wire with silicone or liquid tape, but then i got to wondering if it needed to "breathe" to prevent condensation inside the housing during temperature changes. Any advise would be appreciated.

You definitely don’t need to waterproof the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seig

seig

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You definitely don’t need to waterproof the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL "around the ground wire" where it exits the housing. There was about a 2mm gap in the housing where it comes through. I ended up sealing the holes with RVT and then plastidipping the whole bottom of the housing. Sealed up tight now!

True isolator

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!