Self Jump - True Am Isolator

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have an auxillary battery and use the True Am Isolator you should be able to bypass the isolator to self jump start your rig. This method worked for me so I made a handy dandy little tool to keep with me in the machine.

Purchase This

Purchase Two Of These

Then Open The Box When It Arrives In The Mail

IMG 1099 IMG 1100

Place The Product On Your Fiero Workbench Of Your Choice And Grab A 10mm Socket And Wrench
IMG 1101

Remove Both Nuts From The Clamps
IMG 1102 IMG 1103 IMG 1104

Place The Cable End Over The Threaded Stud
IMG 1105

I Used A Stainless Washer To Help Secure The Cable End
IMG 1106

Put The Nut Over The Washer
IMG 1107

Then Tighten It Down
IMG 1108

Repeat That Process For Both Clamp Ends
IMG 1109

Finally You Should Have Something Like This
IMG 1110

Use the jumper to bypass the isolator to help start your machine when your main battery is low/dead. Your auxiliary battery needs to be in good condition for this method to work. Place one clamp on your main battery positive post and place the other clamp on your auxillary battery main post or on the side of your isolator that the auxiliary battery attaches to.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes, but quote "in most cases". lol.
I keep the extra short wire similar to what you showed; I just kept it in my glove box. I have used it several times actually.

I asked TrueAM to consider adding a manual trigger pin.
It has a manual ign cut-off pin, but we need a manual cut-on pin.

Good write up.. Thanks.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep the extra short wire similar to what you showed; I just kept it in my glove box. I have used it several times actually.

Good write up.. Thanks.
I agree with you. The manual switch would be a sweet addition.

Reactions: -Bear-
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s more amazing that you have a Fiero!
Thank you. I have had it for about 3 years now. It has been a very slow side project. I bought it with no title. I have had no title vehicles in the past and I use Vermont to obtain a new title. I finished the fiero last year and went to "get my title" and learned vermont no longer helps me out. I am currently stuck without a title. Otherwise it is road ready. It has been inside the shop for a year now and used as a table for alot of my things.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Thank you. I have had it for about 3 years now. It has been a very slow side project. I bought it with no title. I have had no title vehicles in the past and I use Vermont to obtain a new title. I finished the fiero last year and went to "get my title" and learned vermont no longer helps me out. I am currently stuck without a title. Otherwise it is road ready. It has been inside the shop for a year now and used as a table for alot of my things.
POIDH 😎

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1984 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.5L 4sp. 046351 miles.

The interior is ok. Alot of warped plastic from the sun. The clear coat is very peeled.

The story is as such:

One owner car. Owner passed away. Left wife without a way to get a title. The car sat since 1992. In 2020 the car was given to a coworker of mine in exchange for a paint project the coworker did. I paid $150 for the car from the coworker. From what I have been told by the coworker the wife is currently in prison for a long time.

Originally I was going to fix the car, make it run and drive, then attempt to get a title. I did all the work and now I need a new game plan to source a title so I can drive it. Long term goal is a V8 Archie kit with slightly built carbed 350 or Holley EFI Terminator stock GM 5.3L. I want 300ish HP with a good sound.

I put brand new tires on the car, new water pump, new starter, new engine and transmission mounts, new brake lines, new brake calipers, new brake pads, new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, new air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, valve cover gasket, new fuel pump (twice), purchased a set of used rear tail lamps, replaced/flushed all fluids, and new drive belts. I am probably forgetting stuff.

My biggest feat was the rear tail lamps. The original had holes in it. Some good condition rear lamps are $1000 for a pair. I was able to get a nice set for $250. I used a smoke vinyl wrap on them to give them a "screen protector" vibe in hopes of giving them some durability.

There are some window and sun roof gaskets I need to get replaced. I did flush out the AC system and prepped it for R134 but my high side valve stem leaks and I can't get it out currently.

The last thing is fixing the headlamps. They will not raise on their own. The driver side can be rotated manually to lift but the passenger side gears are so gone it will not manually lift.

IMG 1113 IMG 1114 IMG 1115 IMG 1116 IMG 1117 4E64DE46 BC51 49DF 8124 2329562F033F

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s more amazing that you have a Fiero!

What year? Got more pics?
I love those cars

POIDH 😎

X2 (no RMAXi-Pad)

I think the above post might satisfy. I don't have any original pictures but the car was disgusting. Leaves everywhere. Unopened McDonald's Hercules toys with trash everywhere inside.

The fuel tank was basically junk. I tried to clean it out but it ended up ruining the new fuel pump. I tried the POR tank cleaner/sealer and it leaked when done. I had a friend of mine who knows a good welder make me a new tank. (That is in the last picture)

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
One owner car. Owner passed away. Left wife without a way to get a title. The car sat since 1992. In 2020 the car was given to a coworker of mine in exchange for a paint project the coworker did. I paid $150 for the car from the coworker. From what I have been told by the coworker the wife is currently in prison for a long time.
I don't know how things work in Missouri, but in Michigan, there are a few ways to claim ownership of vehicles where you "can't find" the previous owner:

If the vehicle is over 10 years old, worth less than $2500, and was last titled in Michigan, you can self-certify ownership at the Secretary of State. You submit a form TR-205 Certificate of Ownership and either a vehicle appraisal or a printed page from KBB/NADA, etc. confirming the value.

If the vehicle is newer or worth more, you can purchase a surety bond (like an insurance policy). You get the title and as long as there are no claims in 3 years from the time you purchased the bond/titled the vehicle, you get your money back, and nobody can make a claim against it after then, either.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Good write up.. Thanks.
I am thinking that True AM will not be rated for the starting current? any thoughts on an open blade knife switch :eek: ? to jump ?

Reactions: CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I am thinking that True AM will not be rated for the starting current? any thoughts on an open blade knife switch :eek: ? to jump ?
I like the short cable like @Robobrainiac made. Handy to throw in the Packout if you own more than one machine.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI

The interior is ok. Alot of warped plastic from the sun. The clear coat is very peeled.

The story is as such:

Originally I was going to fix the car, make it run and drive, then attempt to get a title. I did all the work and now I need a new game plan to source a title so I can drive it. Long term goal is a V8 Archie kit with slightly built carbed 350 or Holley EFI Terminator stock GM 5.3L. I want 300ish HP with a good sound.

I put brand new tires on the car, new water pump, new starter, new engine and transmission mounts, new brake lines, new brake calipers, new brake pads, new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, new air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, valve cover gasket, new fuel pump (twice), purchased a set of used rear tail lamps, replaced/flushed all fluids, and new drive belts. I am probably forgetting stuff.

I made the car run and drive. I took it down the road a couple of times. I want to make it legal and make it a good driver.

My biggest feat was the rear tail lamps. The original had holes in it. Some good condition rear lamps are $1000 for a pair. I was able to get a nice set for $250. I used a smoke vinyl wrap on them to give them a "screen protector" vibe in hopes of making them last.

There are some window and sun roof gaskets I need to get replaced. I did flush out the AC system and prepped it for R134 but my high side valve stem leaks and I can't get it out currently.

The last thing is fixing the headlamps. They will not raise on their own. The driver side can be rotated to lift but the passenger side gears are so gone it will not manually lift.

View attachment 416104 View attachment 416105 View attachment 416106 View attachment 416107 View attachment 416108 View attachment 416109
Very cool! I have seen a few Northstar transplants in Fiero’s that were slick.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The story is as such:

I made the car run and drive. I took it down the road a couple of times. I want to make it legal and make it a good driver.

My biggest feat was the rear tail lamps. The original had holes in it. Some good condition rear lamps are $1000 for a pair. I was able to get a nice set for $250. I used a smoke vinyl wrap on them to give them a "screen protector" vibe in hopes of making them last.

The last thing is fixing the headlamps. They will not raise on their own. The driver side can be rotated to lift but the passenger side gears are so gone it will not manually lift.

View attachment 416104 View attachment 416105 View attachment 416106 View attachment 416107 View attachment 416108 View attachment 416109
Very cool.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

The story is as such:

I had an '84 2M4 back in the day. It was a blast to drive. Not very fast but could take corners at high speed. You're basically sitting on the ground in those things. Story is they prototyped them with a V8 and it beat the Corvette. Couldn't have that so they never saw anything bigger than a V6 from the factory.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I had an '84 2M4 back in the day. It was a blast to drive. Not very fast but could take corners at high speed. You're basically sitting on the ground in those things. Story is they prototyped them with a V8 and it beat the Corvette. Couldn't have that so they never saw anything bigger than a V6 from the factory.

This is the 1990 Fiero prototype (they never built it). But a lot of the styling did show up in the 93-02 Firebirds.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know how things work in Missouri, but in Michigan, there are a few ways to claim ownership of vehicles where you "can't find" the previous owner:

If the vehicle is over 10 years old, worth less than $2500, and was last titled in Michigan, you can self-certify ownership at the Secretary of State. You submit a form TR-205 Certificate of Ownership and either a vehicle appraisal or a printed page from KBB/NADA, etc. confirming the value.

If the vehicle is newer or worth more, you can purchase a surety bond (like an insurance policy). You get the title and as long as there are no claims in 3 years from the time you purchased the bond/titled the vehicle, you get your money back, and nobody can make a claim against it after then, either.
MO is a bit more strict. I think my current options are abondoned property or the bonded title.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very cool! I have seen a few Northstar transplants in Fiero’s that were slick.
I had never seen one in person before until I saw this one for the first time. Since then I have really liked the thought of making it a cool project. I did a bunch of research and I like the fiero backstory. Parts are cheap (minus body parts) and a super light weight car would move fast with only a little power.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!