We need a Honda Wolverine

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I've sold my Rincon, and it's time to get serious as to what SxS to buy. For what I want to do with a SXS, all signs point to the Yamaha Wolverine. I really do like everything about the concept of the Wolverine. Just don't want a CVT, and really want to stay with Honda. Does anyone think Honda will ever build something to compete with the Wolverine? I just don't know if the P700-2 has what it takes to be the trail machine that I'm looking to have. 100% of my use is trail system riding in Northern Wisconsin.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've sold my Rincon, and it's time to get serious as to what SxS to buy. For what I want to do with a SXS, all signs point to the Yamaha Wolverine. I really do like everything about the concept of the Wolverine. Just don't want a CVT, and really want to stay with Honda. Does anyone think Honda will ever build something to compete with the Wolverine? I just don't know if the P700-2 has what it takes to be the trail machine that I'm looking to have. 100% of my use is trail system riding in Northern Wisconsin.
That exactly where I ride tomahawk and hurley . Where do you ride and I'll give you my thoughts

J

JTW

Will the Honda 1000 not work for ya?

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you go up to Hurley . the 1000 is king. some of the trails in Wisconsin are more geared towards atvs. So a smaller sxs is more fun.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That exactly where I ride tomahawk and hurley . Where do you ride and I'll give you my thoughts
We ride primarily in Marinette, Oconto, and Forest counties in NE Wisconsin. Also go to Iron Co. (Mercer, Hurley). Sometimes we also get over to Black River Falls area as well. I think the Wolverine is awesome...just not sure I'd be happy in the long run stepping away from a Honda.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will the Honda 1000 not work for ya?
I think the 1000 is a real nice machine. However, even the base model is getting a little more than I really want to spend (still considering it tho). My use of the machine will be strictly trail riding which the Wolverine seems to be geared for.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the 1000 is a real nice machine. However, even the base model is getting a little more than I really want to spend (still considering it tho). My use of the machine will be strictly trail riding which the Wolverine seems to be geared for.

For the money, the Wolverine is where it is at for the combination of ride, fun and durability from my research if you want a trail riding machine. I actually went to buy one but they were out of stock of the model I wanted (Green EPS R-spec)and then my wife decided that she would rather have the Pioneer 1000-5.

The RZR, Wildcat and Maverick have more power and can go faster and more features but they cost more and break more.

I would at least wait until the Nov 17th announcement though before I jumped in the Wolverine though, just in case.

Reactions: JTW
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda made something to compete with the Wolverine, Honda would have to down grade. Lol just joking. I have noticed that off road parks, and trails around here have always been atvs are now starting to morph into sxs trails because of their popularity by getting wider.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We ride primarily in Marinette, Oconto, and Forest counties in NE Wisconsin. Also go to Iron Co. (Mercer, Hurley). Sometimes we also get over to Black River Falls area as well. I think the Wolverine is awesome...just not sure I'd be happy in the long run stepping away from a Honda.
You'll love the 1000. she can really scoot. and rides well.

advertisement
J

JTW

Yup.. I'm in the same boat, only I bought a p500 first and now seeing the family likes it too.. I like the wolverine but it's a seating issue for me. You're right though.. if I could put the Honda and wolverine together it would be the perfect machine!!

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yamaha wolverine is a great concept, but I I think it needs a touch of quality improvement in some areas. Honda would have a good seller I think if they make a trail rig like the Wolverine.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
J

JTW

Yamaha wolverine is a great concept, but I I think it needs a touch of quality improvement in some areas. Honda would have a good seller I think if they make a trail rig like the Wolverine.
Particularly with their folding seat ability! That's honestly the one thing keeping me away from the wolverine!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It needs more power an 800+ 70 hp motor 52 is to slow for this machine . because at 35mph it's winding up pretty high I imagine .

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know the Yamaha CVT gets praises from so many. But in reality, it's not the greatest set-up. The wet clutch can be a weak point ; for an example: get a front tire up against a face of a vertical rock, goose the throttle to try and climb over it.........burn the wet clutch. Also, the hub of the secondary clutch (driven clutch) has an absolutely puny hub/helix. The smaller it is, the less bearing/surface area there is to spread the load out. I was told this by a guy we know that is a guru on CVT's, designs and builds clutches from billet aluminum, and makes the so called engineers at the major manufacturers look absolutely stupid on CVT's.
Okay, rant over ;)
That is some good information. I also like the ability to control my RPM's with a manual shift transmission. Letting the engine rev out between shifts or shifting sooner to tap into the engines low end torque. Get sick of shifting? Click it back to AUTO. Hondas versatility makes their machines much more fun imo.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
C

Chooglin

Yup.. I'm in the same boat, only I bought a p500 first and now seeing the family likes it too.. I like the wolverine but it's a seating issue for me. You're right though.. if I could put the Honda and wolverine together it would be the perfect machine!!
If you can hold off for a while , Yamaha will be releasing a 4 seater Wolverine !!!

My brother has a Wolverine and I have to say , if I were in the market for a new sxs ,I would really consider the Wolverine ! !!!!

J

JTW

If you can hold off for a while , Yamaha will be releasing a 4 seater Wolverine !!!

My brother has a Wolverine and I have to say , if I were in the market for a new sxs ,I would really consider the Wolverine ! !!!!
Really?? I don't want a long machine.. that's what I do like about the Honda system. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the 1000 were a touch narrower, had their issues worked out, full belly skid and suspension like the wolverine.

advertisement