elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Been working on making things a little easier to find on the site as well as expanding some choices.

I now have pre-made kits ready to go

Some roll bar clamps to ease mounting of radios and antennas

I am working on getting my hands on a couple of more powerful radios and better quality handhelds but the supply chains are getting a bit stretched and I am trying to keep price points reasonable.

Remember that I have Hondasxs discounts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What is the highest wattage dual band you can get?

That is a loaded question. If you’re looking for a handheld I am thinking between 10 and 15 watts but it will be speedy. In mobile radios (vehicle mount) I can get a 40-50 watt model at a reasonable price (programmed). I have yet to find a waterproof on though.

Even the high quality ICOM and Kenwood mobile radios typically top out at 50 watts because of RF radiation issues. There are a few at higher power levels but they get very speedy - as in $500 and up. Now that I have my ham license I am looking at one of those for my truck.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The link takes me to the YAESU FT-857D.

Reactions: Biteme
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Never mind, apparently it's been discontinued. I think it's been replaced with the FT-891.

Reactions: Biteme
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just now seeing this. Notifications are all fubard on Tapatalk ...

The FT-891 is an HF rig and you will need a HAM Technician license as a minimum to legally operate that one. A general class would be better. That transmits at 1.8 to 54 MHZ (160 - 6 meter wavelength). As a reference, 2 meter is in the 145 MHZ range and at the top end includes MURS. GMRS is in the 70cm range (460-465 MHZ)

Mobile antennae for that are long (6’ and up) heavy and expensive.

If you stayed in the 6 meter band width (50 - 54 MHZ) the antennas are reasonably priced (about 40-50) and about 4 feet long.

The issue four our use here is nobody runs these radio frequencies in our groups. You could likely make a contact with the outside world in an emergency, but that person could be several hundred miles away.

In short, a good radio just not a good fit for UTVs

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,
If you guys - girls are thinking about getting in on a 2 way radio system for your side by side, I'd highly recommend you work with Sam (Elkaholic) at
off-roadcomms.com
He's a great guy and patient with those of us unfamiliar with 2 way radios. He offers quality equipment at reasonable prices, understands the technology, great communication and is also a club vendor.
I highly recommend Offroad Communications Home

Take advantage of their' Ciber Monday sale.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been working on making things a little easier to find on the site as well as expanding some choices.

I now have pre-made kits ready to go

Some roll bar clamps to ease mounting of radios and antennas

I am working on getting my hands on a couple of more powerful radios and better quality handhelds but the supply chains are getting a bit stretched and I am trying to keep price points reasonable.

Remember that I have Hondasxs discounts!

As a comment, the Midland MXT GMRS radio can be used with a headset also. Just make sure that your connector cord is for an Icom radio.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As a comment, the Midland MXT GMRS radio can be used with a headset also. Just make sure that your connector cord is for an Icom radio.

That is good info. I assume you are referring to the MXT400. It and the 275 use a RJ45 mic connector where the other models use a different connector

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is good info. I assume you are referring to the MXT400. It and the 275 use a RJ45 mic connector where the other models use a different connector

I'm referring to the MXT275. The Rugged Radio cord for an Icom plugs directly into the side of the microphone. You still use the mic to control volume, channels and other functions, but the headset has its own volume control, boom mike and push to talk button.

Reactions: DrShotgun
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s a photo of my radio setup. Midland MTX275 mounted above roll bar in the gap to the OEM roof; Rugged Radio over the head headset with boom mic, volume control and push to talk and a Rugged Radio connector cord (ICOM style is the only one that fits in the side of the radio mic). Because we usually stay on one channel, once the radio is turned on I don’t have to do
anything with the mic. I just tuck the mic cord between the headrest and the mid screen. Additionally, the radio can be programmed so that you can hear through the headset and the radio speaker or aux speaker at the same time.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Got it. I had not noticed the Jack’s on the side of the MXT275 microphone ... probably because I have a 400 in my Jeep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The system works well. We have a lot of hill’s separating our groups sometimes and it’s always easy to hear the lead and the tail of the group.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The system works well. We have a lot of hill’s separating our groups sometimes and it’s always easy to hear the lead and the tail of the group.

Yes, the Midlands are good radios. I have found the antennas to be OK but they are also the limiting factor on these radios. The performance is really exceptional with upgrades to the antenna and coax.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the Midlands are good radios. I have found the antennas to be OK but they are also the limiting factor on these radios. The performance is really exceptional with upgrades to the antenna and coax.

Yes, the antenna the radio arrived with is pretty Mickey Mouse. I set mine up with a Laird no ground plane and a lot better coax cut to length for my mounting. Also mounted the antenna high on the rear roll cage but completely under the plastic roof. The first mounting stuck up above the roof about 3” and it was ripped off on the first ride while going under branches.

Reactions: Spankynip
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!