P1000 What batteries are suitable for a second battery?

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm going down the rabbit hole with winch and lights and stuff and want to add a second battery/isolator to my 2019 1000-5 deluxe.

My question is what specific model batteries are candidates for filling that role? I see a lot of folks using the Odyssey PC925 which is a pricey little bugger. Maybe there's a good performance/longevity reason for picking the PC925. I did notice that it was an AGM battery so can be oriented on its side, no liquid.

Any other candidates that might save me a C-note and still get the job done?

A list of models that will work would be a nice resource.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got 14 months out of my first one of these. Just bought a second one. At a 3rd of the price of the odyssey i figure its still worth it. I think this one will last longer since im using a battery tender now
Mighty Max Battery ML26-12 12V... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHNMJWK?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: Landman
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just as a note I had my Odyssey Battery in my Kawaski Teryx for 8 years with out a problem. Still running good when I sold the machine (Note I only had the one battery to run the machine, lights, stero, winch). This time around I went with a full size Optium Blue top under the seat. Not much more than the Odyssey but a lot more Amp Hrs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Just as a note I had my Odyssey Battery in my Kawaski Teryx for 8 years with out a problem. Still running good when I sold the machine (Note I only had the one battery to run the machine, lights, stero, winch). This time around I went with a full size Optium Blue top under the seat. Not much more than the Odyssey but a lot more Amp Hrs.

In hindsight, that’s probably the route I would go.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
In hindsight, that’s probably the route I would go.

Just make sure you mount it well, as much as you tip over don’t it flopping around down there!

Reactions: JTW and Landman
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a Aluminum machine plate I found on ebay for $50 and clamped a steel plate between the plastic floor and the roll bar. Then through bolted the battery mount plate. Seems very sturdy. Then ran 2 gauge cable to under the hood. 73aeefcd1174ff79d5d058c1dae09ea4

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with a Yuasa YTX20HL-BS because I had an extra one sitting around and wanted a little more size then the stock 1000 battery. It is 310 cc and I used the Blue Sea Mini add a battery kit, that comes with a charge relay and a battery switch to combine the 2 batteries together if needed. I had trouble starting my old 700 in the cold weather, so I thought it couldn't hurt to have the ability to combine the batteries easily for my new 1000. The battery fits in the slot but is a little taller but narrower then the mighty max everyone is using.

E

Emmer75

Nov 17, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I order a second stock battery and dropped it into the space under the hood. That way if primary battery room a crap I had exact replacement if something happened on the trail.

Reactions: Delton
advertisement
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm going down the rabbit hole with winch and lights and stuff and want to add a second battery/isolator to my 2019 1000-5 deluxe.

My question is what specific model batteries are candidates for filling that role? I see a lot of folks using the Odyssey PC925 which is a pricey little bugger. Maybe there's a good performance/longevity reason for picking the PC925. I did notice that it was an AGM battery so can be oriented on its side, no liquid.

Any other candidates that might save me a C-note and still get the job done?

A list of models that will work would be a nice resource.

Search is your friend.
Most all your inquiries have been discussed before.

Thanks

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
What?? You’re like a f***ing weeble wobble...

Well that’s true it’s also why I don’t have a battery mounted in that location!

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks to all for your input.

Decided to go with the XS Power D925 after reading Bradley-Thornton's thread. Bought the install kit with True isolator here on Honda SxS with my Black Friday discount. Should all result in a clean install.

I thought long and hard about a fullsize under the seat but decided to pass on that, because I want to store my recovery gear there. I do not have many other high amperage accessories (just lights and even those only draw a few amps at a time), and don't plan to add a thumpin' stereo because, well, I don't want one. So the only time the battery will really get a challenge is when I'm winching (208 amps max) and either the D925 or the PC925 will get 'er done.

I also bought the stupidly overpriced side and top terminal adaptors, because I have a thing about neatness under the hood.

Again I really appreciate all of your insights as you got me thinking about the right things for my installation.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks to all for your input.

Decided to go with the XS Power D925 after reading Bradley-Thornton's thread. Bought the install kit with True isolator here on Honda SxS with my Black Friday discount. Should all result in a clean install.

I thought long and hard about a fullsize under the seat but decided to pass on that, because I want to store my recovery gear there. I do not have many other high amperage accessories (just lights and even those only draw a few amps at a time), and don't plan to add a thumpin' stereo because, well, I don't want one. So the only time the battery will really get a challenge is when I'm winching (208 amps max) and either the D925 or the PC925 will get 'er done.

I also bought the stupidly overpriced side and top terminal adaptors, because I have a thing about neatness under the hood.

Again I really appreciate all of your insights as you got me thinking about the right things for my installation.

You go to admit those terminals are nice lol. They look and work even better in person.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!