What brought you to Hondasxs.com and the Pioneer?

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Company I'm with has four pioneers for ranch work. 3 700s and a 1000 All 4 are worked hard. They all had some problems over time, mainly I couldn't keep shafts in em or brakes on em. Bottom line is that the boys couldn't seem to kill em. Cowboy tough!!!! I had Arctic Cat 700hdx for yard work and the grand kids, that I just couldn't keep running. Got more Grand Kids and needed a bigger buggy. The 1000-5 was the obvious choice. I was researching a winch for the thing and found posts by both Russ989 and ProudDadof5 on just that subject. Reading thru various other post I realized what a "special" group of folks this site had attracted. Im not into social media but the helpfulness and camaraderie of the SXS Club amazed me. Did I mention the comedy? Now, Ill never be able to attend a group function, but I trust all to post plenty of pictures.

BTW, Daughter in Law says she's having twins in August, anyone know if Honda is planning a Pioneer Bus?
Hey.... I rode the special bus when I was a kid.... now I know for sure I fit in here!

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been a motorhead all my life, raced MX, Snowmobiles, Cars, Sailboats, pretty much anything that moved and when I got old and most of those thing were going to kill me, I knew I wanted a SxS. I'd had many Honda 4 wheelers but had been away from them for years and didn't even know Big Red made a SxS. I was already to pull he trigger for a new CanAm SxS as one of my friends was a salesman for them. I mentioned to him, in passing, that I wished these things didn't have belt drives. He said they all do except Honda. At which point I started to do a little research and went and looked at a new yellow Pioneer. I called my buddy the next day and told him the bad news, that I just bought the Honda. He wishes he'd never said a word about Honda!
Then I started surfing the net for forums and such about Honda SxS and found you guys. So far you've been a great help and I've enjoyed my stay here. Good folks and good help, Thanks!

BBB

BBB

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 7, 2019
Northeast Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My first Honda was an 86 TRX350 (still got it!), when I decided to get a SXS, I knew it would be a Honda. In November, found a good deal on a 2018 1Plk3 (New). Plan to use it to do some spraying, as well as general farm stuff. Found the forum as l was looking for information. GREAT SITE!
20200222 150056

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Started on a trail 90 forever back, then graduated to a 125, tried Honda's, Kawasaki's, Yamaha's... bikes kept getting bigger and faster... ended up married and my wife who had no desire to ride with me, by then had dirt bikes and fast highway machines, through the early married years I got rid of all my toys with motors and we raised 2 fine children. Was out in Vegas in 98 visiting a longtime friend and he had a Harley dresser, he gave wife a ride, when they got back she told me she would ride with me if we had one, went to the local dealer when we got back from Vegas and bought an anniversary edition and made plenty long trips as I enjoyed riding with my wife very much. Riding up in the Southern Colorado mountains one day when a Valkyrie purred past us... had to have one and got one. In the spring of 2016 we went on one of our now waning rides on the Valkyrie... lots of idiots on the road and getting old enough long rides left me exhausted. We began looking for a UTV to use around the place and looked at a mule, and a few others... always remembered how reliable all of the Honda's that I have owned over the years were. Went to the local power sport dealer and looked at the deluxe pk1 5 with winch, roof and all the goodies the dealer could throw on it and bought it. The wife loves to ride with me and we have been on many local trails together, the locals I run with hall have snow mobiles with tires (can-am's and rzr's), all faster but none as nimble, and it works hard around the place.
Anyone still awake?? Was looking for fellow Honda riders and stumbled across this forum, laugh my fat ass off every time the memes get updated.... and lots of great reading on TO's and mods.... thanks to all of you!!!

H

Hwysupr

Oct 27, 2015
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4
My wife was with me in 2015 when I was shopping for a side by side for use in my landscaping bus and for hunting. Had found a Polaris that was the right price and met my needs. On our way inside to do the paperwork when my wife saw a 700--4 and asked what's that. The salesman being a good salesman insisted on showing it to her and as soon as she saw the back seats was sold as she could see the Grandkids riding with us. After spending a little over 3K more than I had planned we had a new side by side (don't tell her but I've never regretted it although I still give her a hard time about costing me extra bucks). Having never owned one before I was looking for information on them and the salesman turned me on to this site which has been an outstanding source of information on upgrades, maintenance and pretty much any information some could desire. Am happy with both and just starting to think of buying another for the wife to putz around on (her idea so she will have one when I'm out hunting).

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
My wife was with me in 2015 when I was shopping for a side by side for use in my landscaping bus and for hunting. Had found a Polaris that was the right price and met my needs. On our way inside to do the paperwork when my wife saw a 700--4 and asked what's that. The salesman being a good salesman insisted on showing it to her and as soon as she saw the back seats was sold as she could see the Grandkids riding with us. After spending a little over 3K more than I had planned we had a new side by side (don't tell her but I've never regretted it although I still give her a hard time about costing me extra bucks). Having never owned one before I was looking for information on them and the salesman turned me on to this site which has been an outstanding source of information on upgrades, maintenance and pretty much any information some could desire. Am happy with both and just starting to think of buying another for the wife to putz around on (her idea so she will have one when I'm out hunting).
Sounds like she needs a Talon :)

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly it was the resource that is the forum that drove me to finalize my purchase of my 1000-5. Every vehicle I have has a great forum of members sharing their knowledge and I figured that would pay dividends down the road after actual use. In fact it pays off immediately in prepping for first use. Winch, dual battery, windshield choice etc... Saved me researching time, saved me money - bought from the store. I mostly lurk here but often laugh out loud to myself at the humor of some posts as well . Great entertainment without a buggy😁. By the way other vehicles/ forums - Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Murano, and Kawasaki concours COG I would bet there are some similarities in demographics. Thanks for agrat site.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had a buddy tell me about the Honda 700 with a 3 speed trans and a torque converter,Came home with one.
Then I started doing some research, found this place. Asked the wife if she wanted to drive 1100 miles 1way to go ride a few days in the mountains of Tennessee.She asked how I knew them. ' meet them.on the internet' !!!!
Are you fing crazy?????? That was a few years ago and at least 20k miles of trailering to ride with the best group of people around.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Had a buddy tell me about the Honda 700 with a 3 speed trans and a torque converter,Came home with one.
Then I started doing some research, found this place. Asked the wife if she wanted to drive 1100 miles 1way to go ride a few days in the mountains of Tennessee.She asked how I knew them. ' meet them.on the internet' !!!!
Are you fing crazy?????? That was a few years ago and at least 20k miles of trailering to ride with the best group of people around.
Then she knew for certain you were crazy :)

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20 years ago, My dad brought home a brand new Honda Recon for use on the farm. I can't even begin to imagine how many miles I put on that thing, but it still runs like a top...fires up as soon as you touch the starter and purrs like a kitten. Right after my wife and I married, I went through a motocross phase, racing locally and just riding with every free minute I had. I stayed hurt too much, though, and my time on the bikes declined. By the time we moved to our current home, I had sold all but one bike. I kept it around to cruise around our property, as well as the numerous dirt roads and abandoned quarries nearby (we live in a really rural location). I was about to take a ride one day when my neighbor rolled past the house in a new 2016 1000-3 in Orange. He stopped to chat and I admired his new toy. I had never seen one and didn't even know Honda made a side by side. I held on to the bike for a couple more years, but we had 2 small children that were growing more adventurous. I would slowly ride them around the yard and my own trails, but I wasn't about to take a 2-stroke MX bike down a public road with a kid straddling the seat.

One nice spring day in 2018, we had all loaded up in my truck and were exploring some dirt roads with the windows down when I looked over at my wife and said, "I think we need a 4-wheeler." She nodded in agreement and a couple of days later I headed to a Honda dealership, already being a diehard fan of the Honda reliability I had experienced from that legendary Recon. I had plans to purchase a Rancher, thinking it would be big enough to ride one kid at a time, or just carry the wife and I when we had a kid-free day. When I got there, however, the Pioneer 500 caught my eye. I talked to the salesman about it for a while, test drove it, debated between it and a 700, and finally decided on the 500 because I could fit it in the bed of my truck. I brought it home and unloaded just in time for my wife and kids to get home from school, and the looks on the kids faces made it worth any price I could have paid. My 7 year old son's first comment was, "Daddy bought a golf cart!", which made me second guess myself at first! Then we all loaded up and rode around for the rest of the day. My initial thought was that they would ride one at a time with me...little did we all know just how much both wife and kids would love it! I needed more room.

I loved my 500, and it was my first introduction to this site. I signed up pretty quickly, though I mostly lurked (and still mostly lurk!). Within a couple months, however, I broached the subject of getting a bigger one to my wife, but also keeping the 500. To my surprise, she was completely on board. I went ahead and sold my last bike, then emailed some dealers asking for OTD prices on the 700-4 models, and one in particular caught my attention with their straight answer, no attempt at getting me in the door before giving me a price, upselling me, nothing. I loaded the family up and we went to visit the dealership. I talked shop with the salesman for quite some time while the kids and wife checked out the increased size and seating capacity of the 700. I shook his hand, told him I'd be back, and took a quick glance at a 1000-5 on the way out the door. Nice, I thought, but more than I need, and a good bit more expensive. I took about a week to think about the purchase, and decided to go pick up the 700-4 on my next day off. I made the trip to the dealer and was there when they opened their doors that morning. As I strode in to find the salesman I had talked to, I did a double take at the price on the brand new 1000-5 I had looked at. It was lower than the price of a brand new 700-4! I found the salesman to inquire about it and he told me that they were trying to make some room for different models and the 1000-5 happened to be one that was selected to be reduced. I figured it was a no-brainer and told him to start the paperwork. It has been an absolutely amazing machine for us, and I have definitely put it through its paces. The entire family loves it, and we ride whenever we have a chance and the weather's nice. I sadly totaled the 500 last year, and still sometimes think about getting another one as it was such fun machine, though a Talon is very tempting also! This site has been the best resource for information I have seen anywhere, about anything. You guys are awesome!
11adcbae3cd3504e7ea47aa3b4218d93
10c266bc1870f61464ed7149b65905e0

THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few of us were talking over in the Takeover thread about how we ended up with a Pioneer and then found Hondasxs.com (or vice versa in my case). Thought it would be fun to see how everybody else ended up with this addiction :p

Me:

I was looking for a Honda Foreman forum and one of the Google searches brought me to a thread on here about a Rubicon. I read through it and then started poking around in the build threads. I only see machines built to ride around in the mud down here, so I thought it was really cool to see these trail/rock rigs. Joined the forum on 4/7/19 and then had the Pioneer on the trailer 3 days later after reading through just about every build thread there was. Convinced my dad to come to TO2019 with me and I've been hooked ever since. Made some really good friends and have had a blast on every ride.

Loaded up for TO2019 - 3 weeks old, only upgrade was a winch and a fire extinguisher

View attachment 188885

Fast forward not even a year...

View attachment 188886
What tires are you running Sir

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For me it started about 6 years ago, we were at my moms house in central Fla for thanksgiving. We had a slew of 4wheelers that we rode and life was good. One of my nieces friends showed up with a pioneer 700, (he went to broward motor sports to get lug nut for a 4wheeler and left with a pioneer) my wife and I drove it around she thought it was great, 4 wheeler throttle hurt her thumb and it was hard for her to ride. I loved the shaft drive,(no belts) and the rear seats. I was sold but it wasn't in the cards right then, finally got one this year and found hondasxs club searching google about aftermarket exhaust systems. I started reading threads and seeing pics of builds I had to join. That's how I got here.
IMG 0078

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THIS GUY. Like another Idaho brother

Reactions: Swampdog
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Followed a friend to AZ when I retired. Always wanted to return to the SW and when I saw that we were only going to be 3-4 blocks from the desert I knew that I had to have a Sxs. Expecting to have grandkids visit, I knew I’d need capacity for at least four people and I knew I’d be out there challenging the tougher trails just like I did in the early 70’s on motorcycles. I don’t like belts and I didn’t think the longer wheelbase machines would go the places that I wanted to go, the choices were quickly narrowed down to Honda. Bought a new 2018 P1k5 in June of ‘19 and have been enjoying ever since. Learned about the forum while searching Internet for accessories.

advertisement