Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Overlander. Ive had mine a few years and love it. Hasnt steered me wrong in the woods, on trail or on the road with my 5er.
i can send u some pics or Post more info if u like

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've used Garmins for over 20 years but when it came time to upgrade I looked into using a my iPad with the GAIA app. I doubt I'll ever go back to a dedicated GPS. And nearly 1/3 the cost. You do NOT need cell signal.

A couple of screen shots -

The small mountain range west of the Bonneville Salt Flats -

Camp Hale, Colorado -

ESE of Leadville, CO -

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use Gaia on a Samsung Tab A as my primary, with a Garmin Montana 610 as backup. Both are mounted on the upper cage in the normal rearview mirror location, and I can easily read the tablet at speed. RAM mounts are your friend, just suck it up and pay the man, they cost like they know how good they are.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CID - what does your "saved" tab look like for one of those maps? Are they something you downloaded, or are they recordings of your trip?

S

scdaf

Mar 31, 2021
central Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another vote for Gaia on a tablet, Ram mounted. My last Garmin was maybe a 2-1/2" screen, my Lenovo tablet is 10.3". Guess which is easier to use. Got an amazing, unexpected offer from my fiber provider. Lenovo tablet was $25, first come, first served. I was at the office 40 minutes after the email. Gaia program was about $25 on sale. Ram mount was nearly four times as much as the tablet and program combined.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And, Gaia is free to use as long as you use their maps (lots to choose from) or only need to add up to three of your own.

M

mykaos

Aug 7, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Bought a Magellan TRX 7, complete waste of $$$$. At best it supplements the OnX hunting and offroad apps we use.
Since my iPhone does not have a GPS chip, it does need some sort of cell signal to accurately track. However a preselected map of the area you are riding can be downloaded to your iPhone which does not need cell signal to function as a "map" which works very well.... it helped get me out of this bind: P1000m5 - Been getting it out
I just transitioned back to the Android platform and so far I am impressed w/ the OnX capabilities in the no cell signal areas we ride.

Last edited:
advertisement
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used Gaia on my phone for 6+ years for hunting and while I have a Garmin Zumo XT for my motorcycle I found I didn’t like it in the utv so went back to just using my phone and Gaia.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@CID - what does your "saved" tab look like for one of those maps? Are they something you downloaded, or are they recordings of your trip?
Those are my own rides and screen shot at the end, but I am following the topo tracks. I don't know how to download maps yet but that's available for the $29 I'm paying. I'm not sure how it works when I'm in Timbuk, Nowhere since I've never downloaded a map and it always has enough detail to make me think they're 'there', somehow. Voo doo to me. #oleguy

In the bottom screen shot you can clearly see the jeep roads I didn't ride (parallel dashed lines). The colored lines with dots are the GAIA app painting my track as I ride. The app is pretty good at changing colors each day, that isn't me (but I have color control if I want).

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those are my own rides and screen shot at the end, but I am following the topo tracks. I don't know how to download maps yet but that's available for the $29 I'm paying. I'm not sure how it works when I'm in Timbuk, Nowhere since I've never downloaded a map and it always has enough detail to make me think they're 'there', somehow. Voo doo to me. #oleguy

In the bottom screen shot you can clearly see the jeep roads I didn't ride (parallel dashed lines). The colored lines with dots are the GAIA app painting my track as I ride. The app is pretty good at changing colors each day, that isn't me (but I have color control if I want).
You have to download the layers you want to your phone or tablet for areas you’ll be riding before you have no internet, once saved to your phone or tablet and you have no service the layers for the area selected will show up.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I opened up Gaia on my computer and clicked on the picture icon and this is what I got.

I did not use this computer when we took our first ride on my P520, but it opens on any of my devices now.

Rob

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, you can use the camera on your phone or tablet and capture pictures and it attaches to the track you have.
Thanks, I found the camera icon and sure as s***, it opens the camera. 😊

Reactions: Rayger143
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definitely recommend Gaia. It is a free app then you can buy a membership to download maps with the layers that you want. I used to run a Garmin Rino. It was a $800 gps with a 2 inch screen and a crappy radio. It lasted 4 yrs and then quit. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" for about $135 and downloaded Gaia maps. Also have Spotify with all my music so I can play via bluetooth. Gaia will also sync across all of your devices. My ride on Monday.

J2W1mRwzQDAw3grpPPemQ

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I found the camera icon and sure as s***, it opens the camera. 😊
Maybe research it more but for some reason I feel if you take a pic it’ll show up for everyone on that trail it’s posted on, not just you.

Reactions: Rayger143 and CID
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!