P500 What is this setup??? 26x9 or 27x9 all around??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hello.... Doing research for my future tire/wheel purchase.

This setup looks exactly like what I want....

Can anyone identify these wheels and tires??? This pic is from the superatv.com site. Hoping someone can help me. Been searching through threads to find it but I can't. I am suspecting they are Bighorn 2.0 26x9x12 all around.... I guess they could be 27 tho. I'm thinking I want to stick with 26 to minimize power loss and wear and tear on suspension and steering components, and bearings.

thanks

S l500

Reactions: KyGal83
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hello.... Doing research for my future tire/wheel purchase.

This setup looks exactly like what I want....

Can anyone identify these wheels and tires??? This pic is from the superatv.com site. Hoping someone can help me. Been searching through threads to find it but I can't. I am suspecting they are Bighorn 2.0 26x9x12 all around.... I guess they could be 27 tho. I'm thinking I want to stick with 26 to minimize power loss and wear and tear on suspension and steering components, and bearings.

thanks

View attachment 12663
They don't appear to be twelve wides to me in that pic, but of course uncertain. You're correct about staying with 26's. The P-5 is too tippy as it is to go taller, and I recommend not over 10 psi. Also, note that with custom wheels, you'll no longer have a 50" machine.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I understand the issue of adding a few inches of width... that isn't a problem for me. pretty much everyone I ride with runs full sized side by sides so I will still run circles around them after adding a little width. Around here, I have yet to see any width restricted trails, and usually I am riding on our property... but occasionally I ride a poker run or haul it somewhere. And I don't own a pick-up - I have to trailer. Actually, I WANT to add an inch of offset to each wheel.... So I will have an extra 2" of width front and back... I believe the 5+2 offset rims will accomplish that, please correct me if i am wrong.

I'm definitely wanting 9" wide all around for the ability to rotate tires, and I feel like with wider tires in back the machine will be even harder to slide without rolling, plus I want to keep weight down.

For me, the setup on that red pioneer looks PERFECT... so that's why i'm trying to identify it... :)
Thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I understand the issue of adding a few inches of width... that isn't a problem for me. pretty much everyone I ride with runs full sized side by sides so I will still run circles around them after adding a little width. Around here, I have yet to see any width restricted trails, and usually I am riding on our property... but occasionally I ride a poker run or haul it somewhere. And I don't own a pick-up - I have to trailer. Actually, I WANT to add an inch of offset to each wheel.... So I will have an extra 2" of width front and back... I believe the 5+2 offset rims will accomplish that, please correct me if i am wrong.

I'm definitely wanting 9" wide all around for the ability to rotate tires, and I feel like with wider tires in back the machine will be even harder to slide without rolling, plus I want to keep weight down.

For me, the setup on that red pioneer looks PERFECT... so that's why i'm trying to identify it... :)
Thanks
I understand. I only mentioned the width because so many people want and purchase a 50" machine, and then do all they can to make it wider when they can buy a 56" machine if that's what they wanted to begin with. Spend a little time around these forums, you'll see plenty of P-5's on their sides!!!! Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Chooglin: That is perfect!!!! Thank you for the response! Now I know what I will be buying...

Forgive me if you have already posted about it, but how do you like your setup?? Does it feel as stable as it did with stock wheels/tires?? Can you get the rear end loose, or does it bite more than before upgrading?? I like the sporty handling of the P500 and I don't want to mess that up too much.

I also like your bumpers. Very sharp.... Your wheels and tires look excellent.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

It feels plenty stable to me , but then again , I don't drive real crazy. I feel a slite power loss, but very little.I also removed my sway bar ,so it definetly has a diff/better ride than stock...........much softer ride !!

These tires bite pretty good on dry trails but a little slick in the mud ,but do very well !!!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good, good. I will be keeping the sway bar.. I don't mind the stiff ride, and I assume it must be doing something to prevent excess body roll. Honestly, I'm not much into mud riding or doing anything too crazy but you know how it is when you're following someone who is crazy.

I love the Bighorns, and I've really never heard anything bad about them. They seem to last forever too, even with many road miles. I know a guy with a rzr 800 that has over 1600 miles on his Bighorns and they still look almost new!

I do ride some pavement now and again to get to the trails. I was somewhat concerned about the weight of the tires, and considered the Bighorn 2.0's but they don't have the same "meat" to them. I'm thinking that i'm willing to compromise light weight for added durability.

C

Chooglin

The original BH are a bit heavier and I believe they are slightly taller do to the extra tread height .
Leaving the sway bar on is not a bad idea........it's there for a reason , but I like the ride and extra suspension travel with it removed !!!
I don't think you will be dissatisfied with either one of the BH tires !!!

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 26"-11"12"'s BH 2.0's on all four corners I went 11 wide for the extra floatation across the tundra and marsh up here. I ride a lot of mixed trails from sticky slimy mud, crawling through armpit tall willow brush, tundra, and steep rock all on the same day and the BH's have done well as an all around tire.

Reactions: markie
advertisement
M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
I went with 27" with offset wheels and have been in some tough spots on rock ledges.Actually the extra width makes it less tipsy

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I went with 27" with offset wheels and have been in some tough spots on rock ledges.Actually the extra width makes it less tipsy

That's what I am hoping to accomplish - what offset wheels are you running? 5+2?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So for 4 - 26x9-12 Bighorns mounted on ITP SS212 wheels (5+2 offset) it would cost $769.48 from Rocky Mountain. That sounds very reasonable to me.... Anywhere else I should check??

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
A 4+3 offset will work better for you. from what you have said. The stock rims have the plus 2" out from hub, and you said you wanted 1' wider that would be a 4+3 offset. 3" out from hub not 2" @ehart814

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A 4+3 offset will work better for you. from what you have said. The stock rims have the plus 2" out from hub, and you said you wanted 1' wider that would be a 4+3 offset. 3" out from hub not 2" @ehart814

Well, the confusion has returned... I had the impression that a 5+2 wheel setup made the machine 1" wider per side, so 2" wider overall.

C

Chooglin

Let me make this a bit more confusing :)
Front stock wheels are 4.5 + 1.5
Rear stock wheels are 6+1.5

With a 5+2 wheel you will gain .500" per side , 1.00" total

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
OK, I think I've got a handle on it now. Thanks guys. I think the 5+2 would be best for me. An extra inch of width won't cause any problems, andI don't think I will lose any protection over the calipers/boots.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK, I think I've got a handle on it now. Thanks guys. I think the 5+2 would be best for me. An extra inch of width won't cause any problems, andI don't think I will lose any protection over the calipers/boots.
You will sling mud though when your tires project beyond your fenders.

Reactions: markie
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!