what kind of motor oil for the pioneer

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
what kind of oil are you going to use in your 2014 pioneer. synthetic oil or what the owners manual calls for from Honda or what brand will you use if not the oil from Honda. also would synthetic oil be a good choice for oil for the new pioneer.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Engine and transmission share the same oil sump and the transmission will slip if you use the wrong oil. Follow what the manual recommends and also google big red and rincon transmission problems. You'll see most problems were caused by non recommended oil which caused slippage.

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Yep gn4 10w40 for around nc. Just did my first service tonight. Nothing to it. Especially with an automotive lift :)

Reactions: tfisher15
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
It's not like I change oil that often in my Rubicon or now my Pioneer, so I'll go with the Honda oil. Same as with my Yamaha outboard, go with the manufactures spec'd oil.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
As mentioned, be very careful about the weight you choose, especially in colder climates.
Any motorcycle approved oil in the proper weight should do. Personally, I'd switch to synthetic after break in, but that's just me...

B

Bobbo64

Aug 28, 2013
I have always used Valoline ATV 10W-40 4 Stroke Oil in my Foreman and Rincon. (Part # VV749) It meets or Exceeds API Services SG/SF/SJ rated. Never had any problems with this oil.

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
I have used regular non syn GN4 in my honda superhawk since I purchased it in 2003. I now have 70,000 miles with an average rpm of probably 4,500 (out of 9,500 redline). I will be using GN4 in my pioneer. Do you guys think the 20 hour service recommendation is a bit premature? Or is this necessary because of the oil doing double duty lubricating the tranny and engine?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
red4life said:
. Do you guys think the 20 hour service recommendation is a bit premature? Or is this necessary because of the oil doing double duty lubricating the tranny and engine?

Is it possible that the 20 hour service is for the break in period only. Most machines are and after that its a longer hr interval.

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
Yes that is break in. Possibly the most important oil change in the life of your pioneer. After the 20 hr/100mile initial it is 100 hrs or 600 miles. Whichever comes first.

advertisement
red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Good to know chester135..I haven't read the owners manual yet. Maybe I should do so. 100 hours is excellent!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
chesterl35 said:
Yes that is break in. Possibly the most important oil change in the life of your pioneer. After the 20 hr/100mile initial it is 100 hrs or 600 miles. Whichever comes first.
Does this include valve adjustments?

My old Foreman 450 gets service/valve adjustments every 600. I'd hoped the newer stuff went a little longer on valve adjustments.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
red4life said:
I have used regular non syn GN4 in my honda superhawk since I purchased it in 2003. I now have 70,000 miles with an average rpm of probably 4,500 (out of 9,500 redline). I will be using GN4 in my pioneer. Do you guys think the 20 hour service recommendation is a bit premature? Or is this necessary because of the oil doing double duty lubricating the tranny and engine?

Initial fill included a breakin additive according to my dealer....the 20hr service refills with fresh oil no additive.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you're OCD like me you want the best. Check out amsoil.com. They do comparisons between Dino and synthetic and Amsoil synthetic vs the major synthetic oils (Mobil1, Royal Purple, etc.). Dino oil like GN4 will probably do the job adequately but synthetics are a far superior lubricant, holding their viscosity better longer and standing up to extreme heat that would turn Dino oil into coke. Again, most will never call on their oil to perform that way-I'm a nut when it comes to maintenance. I swear my 700-4 sounded quieter after I put the Amsoil in at the break in oil change.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
those tests seem kind of pointless, what good is an oil that protests to a temp you never see in real life. I'm more of a try and see for myself person. I have rode once a week on average most of the day for over 20 years, also work on bikes for other people in the club so I see what other oils and maintenance does inside. ive seen the factory oils are nothing special really. we have a lot of mud and cooler weather, a lot of stop and go, I change the oil way more than whatever normal interval is supposed to be with the Valvoline atv, once in the spring and once in the fall. in the Hondas seems even more important to do frequent oil changes with the torque converter doing a lot of sheering in stop and go and work and the cleaners in the oil are very important too. ive put many thousands of miles on the engine always look good good inside, and its pretty cheap at Walmart I think it just went up to 4.50, so 20 is worth it to me. I can see if you live in southern areas might be worth the extra for the heat protection but here seems to me to be about the frequency more than anything and the Valvoline has less clutch in it on those ones and if its black means that stuff was in the oil and if you run synthetic and wait forever for the change that black crud is in there that long too

I think the noise must be something in the initial oil, a lot of people hear that and it goes away on the first change and runs smoother no matter what you change it to, ive read synthetic or Honda stuff which is nothing special.

Reactions: 70Bones and Mudwing
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
those tests seem kind of pointless, what good is an oil that protests to a temp you never see in real life. I'm more of a try and see for myself person. I have rode once a week on average most of the day for over 20 years, also work on bikes for other people in the club so I see what other oils and maintenance does inside. ive seen the factory oils are nothing special really. we have a lot of mud and cooler weather, a lot of stop and go, I change the oil way more than whatever normal interval is supposed to be with the Valvoline atv, once in the spring and once in the fall. in the Hondas seems even more important to do frequent oil changes with the torque converter doing a lot of sheering in stop and go and work and the cleaners in the oil are very important too. ive put many thousands of miles on the engine always look good good inside, and its pretty cheap at Walmart I think it just went up to 4.50, so 20 is worth it to me. I can see if you live in southern areas might be worth the extra for the heat protection but here seems to me to be about the frequency more than anything and the Valvoline has less clutch in it on those ones and if its black means that stuff was in the oil and if you run synthetic and wait forever for the change that black crud is in there that long too

I think the noise must be something in the initial oil, a lot of people hear that and it goes away on the first change and runs smoother no matter what you change it to, ive read synthetic or Honda stuff which is nothing special.

It’s good in turbocharged vehicles where people will not let the turbos cool after a drive before they shut the vehicle off. The extreme heat “cokes” the turbo. We always remote start my wife’s car after I’ve driven it hard if we can’t give it a min to cool down.

Gassers turbo timer. Mom had a turbo car years ago and she drove it like she was in a video game. She coked a couple turbos before dad found a turbo timer and put on the thing.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
should qualify what I meant now that you say that, for normal atvs, the oil on those is normally engine temp

I never buy the wife anything with a turbo or super charger, don't think we could afford the maintenance or tickets, all the girls in our club same way have to have the fastest machines and drive it like the throttle is a button. she had a 80 monte with the ss engine we put aftermarket top end package on, 98 Bonneville sse, shes on her second Lucerne, they are bulletbroof cars though

Reactions: Mudwing
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just something to think about since the SxS are available with the turbo now days

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
There must be 10 thousand "what oil" threads in ATV/UTV boards. Some say oil is oil. I say, I have used Amsoil in every Honda I have owned since 2001 and have not had a problem with any of them. More expensive, sure but if you want to scrimp buy cheap oil, or cheap parts and live with the results. Amsoil has recommended oil for Honda Pioneer wet clutch.

Reactions: junior1954
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!