What lift to buy for the shop?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hell yeah man! I remember! :D
Yeah, all those lifts I mentioned are made right here in Madison. My boss, the owner of SuperATV, used to run that place before starting SuperATV. I think those mid-rise lifts are about perfect. Cheap, easy to use, and don't take up too much room.

View attachment 213824 View attachment 213825
View attachment 213826View attachment 213827
Great pictures of the shop! Interesting to see the lift sideways in that last picture. That's a great idea if your working on the wheel's /suspension. I heard you guys put in a 2nd flat laser for steel cutting. I have been talking to Penny in purchasing about steel. Hopefully someday when the Covid thing is over or at least beat into submission I can come down and make a sales call and see the shop. I'll stop in and meet you then. But that may be a few months. We just suspended sales calls again.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Great pictures of the shop! Interesting to see the lift sideways in that last picture. That's a great idea if your working on the wheel's /suspension. I heard you guys put in a 2nd flat laser for steel cutting. I have been talking to Penny in purchasing about steel. Hopefully someday when the Covid thing is over or at least beat into submission I can come down and make a sales call and see the shop. I'll stop in and meet you then. But that may be a few months. We just suspended sales calls again.
Definitely! I'll get you the grand tour! And Penny is awesome! She's hilarious. Let me know whenever you make it down again. Its rocky with guest tours now, but once the state numbers start dropping again it should be good.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have advice on what a reasonable quality 4 post lift with wheels might run?

I’m thinking something around a 9K capacity?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone have advice on what a reasonable quality 4 post lift with wheels might run?

I’m thinking something around a 9K capacity?
You will need to decide width, length and height before you pick one. Because I am tall, and wanted a lot of width between the runways and occasionally worked on trucks, I got the tallest, longest and widest one I could find.

Anything under about $10,000 is going to be made in China. Some of them are certified but most are not.

Go here to get an idea of what is available and how much. They have 124 different makes/models. I think everything on this site is made in China....

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will need to decide width, length and height before you pick one. Because I am tall, and wanted a lot of width between the runways and occasionally worked on trucks, I got the tallest, longest and widest one I could find.

Anything under about $10,000 is going to be made in China. Some of them are certified but most are not.

Go here to get an idea of what is available and how much. They have 124 different makes/models. I think everything on this site is made in China....

Thanks!

Are the runners on yours adjustable or fixed?

I’d like to be able to use it on my zero turn mower for changing blades if I could too.

Really torn on the 2 post vs 4. I’ve used both years ago.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks!

Are the runners on yours adjustable or fixed?

I’d like to be able to use it on my zero turn mower for changing blades if I could too.

Really torn on the 2 post vs 4. I’ve used both years ago.
Fixed. Most are fixed because they hide all the hydraulics, cables and pulleys under on of the runways. If you want one that is not fixed, the cables and hydraulics are on the top of one side, like this one that goes from 0" to 41" between the runways...

What is the inside width of the tires? I have a small riding mower and it is too narrow BUT I have the widest unit they made and it is 43" between the runways but most of them are only about 36 to 38" between the runways.

Will a 2 post go narrow enough to pick up your mower? Is there a safe place to put a 2 post on your mower?

Do you have the concrete required for a 2 post? Depending on the model, they require between 4" to 6" reinforced to mount properly. You don't want something like this this to happen...

• Wow
Reactions: Mudwing and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fixed. Most are fixed because they hide all the hydraulics, cables and pulleys under on of the runways. If you want one that is not fixed, the cables and hydraulics are on the top of one side, like this one that goes from 0" to 41" between the runways...

What is the inside width of the tires? I have a small riding mower and it is too narrow BUT I have the widest unit they made and it is 43" between the runways but most of them are only about 36 to 38" between the runways.

Will a 2 post go narrow enough to pick up your mower? Is there a safe place to put a 2 post on your mower?

Do you have the concrete required for a 2 post? Depending on the model, they require between 4" to 6" reinforced to mount properly. You don't want something like this this to happen...

View attachment 216117

Thanks for the advice.

If I go with a 2 post I’ll cut out the mid section concrete and lay a continuous slab such that the pad is 2’ wider and longer than each post and both posts are on the same 8” thick rebar’ed slab.

My floor is borderline for a 2 post. Ok for a 4 post moveable.

It’s been 20 years since I’ve operated lifts...finally have a shop with the height and width to really use a lift for my restoration projects, utv etc.

The real advantage to a 2 post for me would be when I want to lift bodies on / off.

Reactions: JenElio
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
There’s arm extensions available for the 2 post to lift mowers.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went and looked at the Titan lifts. The 6600 Lbs. one seems to fit the Talon best as it is the most narrow. Obviously 6,600 Lbs. is overkill but it seems to be the best one adaptable to use for a SXS. I'll either mod of fab up some kind of wheel harnesses so I can lift it by the wheels as well. Once I get it and put it in I'll put some pictures up.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!