Oil leaking around this harness… what’s it for??

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey all.
I’ve noticed some sticky dirt building up right in this area and I have oil leaking from around this harness.

My question is what this is for/where is it going inside the case?

When I pull on it slightly, it starts backing out of the hole and I’m hoping it’s just some slack in the wire and not that something has come undone or broken.

I plan to just seal up around where the spillage is coming from, but wanted some knowledge on what I’m fixing also. Would this be the transmission oil that’s leaking or the engines oil??

TIA!

IMG 6714 IMG 6716

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey all.
I’ve noticed some sticky dirt building up right in this area and I have oil leaking from around this harness.

When I pull on it slightly, it starts backing out of the hole and I’m hoping it’s just some slack in the wire and not that something has come undone or broken.

I plan to just seal up around where the spillage is coming from, but wanted some knowledge on what I’m fixing also. Would this be the transmission oil that’s leaking or the engines oil??

TIA!

View attachment 404354 View attachment 404355
Hey!!! Welcome from South Florida

Post some pics of your Talon and where you ride, I'm sure you got some beautiful scenery over there 👍

I can't really help with your issue but maybe @HondaTech has an answer for you.

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey!!! Welcome from South Florida

Post some pics of your Talon and where you ride, I'm sure you got some beautiful scenery over there 👍

I can't really help with your issue but maybe @HondaTech has an answer for you.
I ride alone so I never get great action shots! But here’s some view points from a normal days ride. From 1’ asl to 4,700’ asl

IMG 6078 IMG 6076 IMG 5516 IMG 5503 IMG 5500

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Texas! Hope you can figure that out. On a side note my sister and bil go down to Costa Rica once or twice a year. They keep telling me to come with them. If I could get my P500 on the plane I'm coming. Looks like some awesome riding!

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from Texas! Hope you can figure that out. On a side note my sister and bil go down to Costa Rica once or twice a year. They keep telling me to come with them. If I could get my P500 on the plane I'm coming. Looks like some awesome riding!
Lotssssss of rentals down here that will take you on some wild rides. Definitely worth a visit!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey all.

TIA!

View attachment 404354 View attachment 404355
I had a look at mine, it's been seeping enough oil to be 'messy' but the dirt has dried it out. There seems to be a rubber boot that's supposed to plug into the engine case, sealing the wires. Mine doesn't move though, it's pretty secure. It's my guess that that rubber boot has come unplugged on yours and needs to be pushed back in.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its normal to get some seepage from the stator wire rubber seal. The wires should be snug so compare it with another Talon or Pioneer 1000. The rubber part is sealed with an adhesive. Usually it takes over 10,000 miles for it to seep enough to make a mess. I clean my Talon with 37,500 every 200 miles.

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Its normal to get some seepage from the stator wire rubber seal. The wires should be snug so compare it with another Talon or Pioneer 1000. The rubber part is sealed with an adhesive. Usually it takes over 10,000 miles for it to seep enough to make a mess. I clean my Talon with 37,500 every 200 miles.
Thank you. I keep her clean, but I just recently did a deep cleaning on the block because I did all my oils. So now the leak is just more visible.

She’s running great so I’m assuming my stator is all in tact in there, I’m going to clean up the area and see if I can seal it up to stop the leak. It is leaking enough that it gives me a nice oil line down the side of the case and dripping on to the engine mount, so it’s now become more than just a dirty spot for me.

Thanks for all the help

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you. I keep her clean, but I just recently did a deep cleaning on the block because I did all my oils. So now the leak is just more visible.

She’s running great so I’m assuming my stator is all in tact in there, I’m going to clean up the area and see if I can seal it up to stop the leak. It is leaking enough that it gives me a nice oil line down the side of the case and dripping on to the engine mount, so it’s now become more than just a dirty spot for me.

Thanks for all the help
If you can't push the plug back into the case (you should be able to feel it plug in), I'd clean it up real well and seal it with high temp RTV. That stuff has been holding the International Space Station together for decades.

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you can't push the plug back into the case (you should be able to feel it plug in), I'd clean it up real well and seal it with high temp RTV. That stuff has been holding the International Space Station together for decades.
I remember on the upper right side of the boot it does look like it’s popping out, so now that I have the info on it I’m going to try and re-seat it.

Plan B is high temp RTV.

Thanks for all the info everyone 🤘🏼

I’ll get some photos when I do it also.

CostaRicaTalon

CostaRicaTalon

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2023
Costa Rica
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry for the delay! Been riding!

Sealed it up really well (I’m all function over form. Especially being in the jungle) so beware of the images you’re about to see 😂

Probably about 100 miles on it so far with no signs of any seepage.

Also re-tape’d where the harness enter that boot, as well as most of my harness looms around the buggy as well

IMG 6754 IMG 6755

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!