Excess oil

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I accidentally overfilled my oil doing a change, was gonna take the drain plug out but thought it may be too messy. Has anyone used small plastic tubing and a plastic (basting) syringe to extract oil? Which would be easier?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I accidentally overfilled my oil doing a change, was gonna take the drain plug out but thought it may be too messy. Has anyone used small plastic tubing and a plastic (basting) syringe to extract oil? Which would be easier?
I would loosen the oil pain drain plug and let a little out. What I've started doing is after oil and filter change is dump 1 gallon of oil in and use the empty gallon jug as a measuring device for 2.1 quarts and dump it in and it turns out perfect. I can't see the oil on the Honda dip stick unless I'm out in the direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I would loosen the oil pain drain plug and let a little out. What I've started doing is after oil and filter change is dump 1 gallon of oil in and use the empty gallon jug as a measuring device for 2.1 quarts and dump it in and it turns out perfect. I can't see the oil on the Honda dip stick unless I'm out in the direct sunlight.
Same issue with seeing it on the dipstick

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When I do an oil and filters change, I add 6 qts. 3.2 oz. per the manual and never look at the dipstick.

I also never used the ridiculous Honda procedure of warming up, shutting off, waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, then check oil level. WTF? I do an oil change, run the buggy long enough to saturate the filters, shut off, wait (sometimes overnight) and then check the oil with the dipstick fully seated - like you would before a ride or when sitting in the garage during the week. Idjits. :mad:

Right after an oil change, running long enough to saturate filters and letting sit -
I Jv4qKHq X2

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I do an oil and filters change, I add 6 qts. 3.2 oz. per the manual and never look at the dipstick.

I also never used the ridiculous Honda procedure of warming up, shutting off, waiting for 2 or 3 minutes (WTF?), then check oil level. I do an oil change, run the buggy long enough to saturate the filters, shut off, wait (sometimes overnight) and then check the oil with the dipstick fully seated - like you would before a ride or when sitting in the garage during the week. Idjits. :mad:

Right after an oil change, running long enough to saturate filters and letting sit -
View attachment 383929
I still wouldn't be able to see it.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't know how much you over filled it but mine takes 6.5 quarts and that only puts in between the marks good. Just change to oil the other day at 2400 miles. Been this way from the beginning. After the first oil change I though the machine was using oil but that was not the case. I just need more oil. It never shows in use of oil at 2400 miles but it does take a bit more than the manual says. Mines a 2021 model, yours may be different.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Mines a 21 also and probably put a quart to much, just wasn’t paying attention, it’s showing a little lower than Remingtons photo of a fully seated dip stick. I’ve always had difficulty getting it accurate, but I think it’s my fault.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
On the original post, I've never tried that method(or any other) to get excess oil out, it seems that if your level is as @CID does in post #7 you'll be fine. If i didn't know how much i had put in, i probably would remove the skid plate, clean the underbelly as well as possible, drop all of the oil and start over. If it gets dirt in it, the new stuff is premeasured :confused: fwiw i buy my oil in 1 gallon jugs, 1 1/2 jugs per change no dipstick readings involved. I measure the old oil, if about 5 1/2 quarts came out i'm happy.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
How about lightly file marks where you need them? Can find them with a thumb nail if needed
I did this on my Pioneer and the Talon. I only used the stupid warm up, sit 2 mins, set dipstick on top method once on each to get it right, then screwed it in and made my line with a file where the full mark was on the dipstick. Looks damn near spot on with where @CID full mark is in his photo. Zero issues in 4 years with either machine and makes checking the oil a much simpler task.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Got it done, used a transfer pump, slow process but I’m definitely going to file a mark on the dipstick, I literally hate the 2 minute warm and 2 minute wait.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!