P1000 What size screws for dash panel

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
For those of you who removed the “You’re Fixin To Die” label and installed a switch panel with screws instead of rivets, what size screws did you use? Yesterday, I bought a lil box of #10 screws and another box of #10 x 1/2” bolts and nuts. Well, that was money wasted.
By the time I get finished with this project, I should be able to build a small engine with all the wrong stuff I bought and all the nuts that slipped outta my hands and ended up sitting on top of the dang skid plates.
Drill rivet holes out with 5/16 drill and use 8mm plastic push pins.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For those of you who removed the “You’re Fixin To Die” label and installed a switch panel with screws instead of rivets, what size screws did you use? Yesterday, I bought a lil box of #10 screws and another box of #10 x 1/2” bolts and nuts. Well, that was money wasted.
By the time I get finished with this project, I should be able to build a small engine with all the wrong stuff I bought and all the nuts that slipped outta my hands and ended up sitting on top of the dang skid plates.

Drill rivet holes out with 5/16 drill and use 8mm plastic push pins.
☝this is what I did and has held great. My panel has the integrated cup holders and not a problem in almost 2yrs

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 5mm screws from Screwerk. The company is German; excellent quality and are made especially for tough plastic.

Reactions: Lady01
Grumpy2050

Grumpy2050

Sep 17, 2021
Caldwell Id
Ownership

1. Talon X4
As mentioned before, The machine is eating those nuts and bolts. Mine has also taken a couple wrenches and screw-hammers. In my opinion, it is getting ready to clone an evil twin....

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I got my used '16 1000-5, it had some screws and nuts holding the switch plate on. Didn't like that, and when I installed a new switch plate with more cut-outs, I got some 1/4" aluminum plate, cut off 2 narrow strips and drilled and tapped threads into them. One for top row, and one for bottom row. I used double sided tape to hold it into place to keep it from falling before screwing on the switch plate. Can't remember size. #8 or #10 machine screw.

IMG 2740 IMG 4864 IMG 4860 IMG 4871

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you buy the panel or fab it yourself? Would be interested in pics if you have them...
Whoa... you've been on here almost a year and it's your first post. What's up with this? We need some pics of your machine

Last edited:
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used M5 rivnuts and socket (Allen) head screws

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you buy the panel or fab it yourself? Would be interested in pics if you have them...
It's a PBR switch panel, similar to the one @Herbie posted. Mine just has all switch cutouts no radio cutout (sorry no pics right now)

J

Joe1000-5

Dec 4, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made a stainless steel backing plate. Pop riveted it to the plastic of the dashboard then drilled and tapped the stainless steel.Then I used the little screws that come with my switch panel plate. No drilling the rivets out and the bolts have threats.

advertisement
C

CrazyHorse74

May 10, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes sir, I looked at the push pin rivets but there ain’t much too them. I’ve debated about just using rivets instead of screws but I don’t really wanna drill them out when I add more switches.
I actually got TWO switch panels. The first was a cheap, flimsy, poorly made one from PBR products. I got ahold of @mystic1219 from this forum and ordered on of his. MUCH BETTER switch plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a PBR panel too and it sucks. I have had words with them aabout a couple of their products actually. How do I see what @mystic1219 offers?

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a PBR panel too and it sucks. I have had words with them aabout a couple of their products actually. How do I see what @mystic1219 offers?
Likewise, double thumbs down on PBR. Incorrect advertising, sold product that would not fit, then stiffed me on the shipping. Won't ever do business with them.

P

panaman

Dec 21, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone ever buy this? I was thinking of purchasing it
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun Kit with 80 Rivnuts & a Step Drill Bit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Rugged Carrying Case NT600 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LV22WL7/?tag=sxsweb24-20

T

TMANFOSTER

Jun 4, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I USED 3M DOUBLE SIDED TAPE A YEAR AGO WHEN I INSTALLED A SWITCH PLATE AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES . PLUS IT IS A MUCH CLEANER LOOK .

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun Kit with 80 Rivnuts & a Step Drill Bit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Rugged Carrying Case NT600 Amazon.com: NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun Kit with 80 Rivnuts & a Step Drill Bit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Rugged Carrying Case NT600 : Automotive
I bought one at Northern Tool that used rivet nuts that looked like that. They didn't work too well in plastic or softer materials. I ended up buying some of the mcmaster carr rivet nuts made for plastic, the tool worked for them too.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun Kit with 80 Rivnuts & a Step Drill Bit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Rugged Carrying Case NT600 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LV22WL7/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I purchased the essentially similar Rivet Nut set, a few bucks less, but no case included. These rivet nut guns work well for the size mandrels in the kit.

Cely1932

Cely1932

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2021
Loveland, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool, 8" Rivet Nut Gun Kit with 80 Rivnuts & a Step Drill Bit, Nutsert Tool with 8 SAE & Metric Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 for Tight Space in Rugged Carrying Case NT600 Amazon.com
I have 2 of these, one in inch & one in metric. Marson makes a great nut setter.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!