2. 1000-5
FB IMG 1547783639675

S

SneakyPete

Jan 16, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I thought I would mention something I learned from watching one of the Talon Videos. The front and rear wheels have different offsets. The rears are 35mm and the fronts are 55mm. I have a RZR 1000 XP and when we run 10 inch DOT tires I put front wheels on all 4 corners. That way we can rotate front to back as the tires wear. I wonder if that would work on the Talon. I plan to buy one when they come out

Reactions: 500oneer
J

JTW

I thought I would mention something I learned from watching one of the Talon Videos. The front and rear wheels have different offsets. The rears are 35mm and the fronts are 55mm. I have a RZR 1000 XP and when we run 10 inch DOT tires I put front wheels on all 4 corners. That way we can rotate front to back as the tires wear. I wonder if that would work on the Talon. I plan to buy one when they come out
It’s the same type setup with the pioneer. And you can’t put rears on the front but you can put fronts on the rear. After market 5-2 wheels take care of it with a spacer. It would have been nice if Honda had accounted for that.

Reactions: ohanacreek

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It’s the same type setup with the pioneer. And you can’t put rears on the front but you can put fronts on the rear. After market 5-2 wheels take care of it with a spacer. It would have been nice if Honda had accounted for that.

Why would you need a spacer? By my calculations a 7” with 5-2 offset is almost the same as stock on the outside.
5/2 on 7” rim = +.25” front & + .20” rear. A little wider but negligible. The stock factory width is almost the same width front to back (outside at the wheel). The staggered offset makes up for the difference in wheel width so that front and back are almost the same. Without the staggered offset the front would be narrower.

The factory wheel offset:
Front is 50mm about 2” (1.969) but on a 6.5” wheel so -1/4” inside and out to a 7”. (1.75 offset)
Rear is 33mm about 1.3” (1.299) on an 8” wheel that so +1/2” inside and out to a 7”. (1.8 offset)
It’s a little complicated but I think I have it right if you can follow my math! I changed the factory offset to the effective offset compared to a 7” 5-2.

Edit-Assumes we are discussing a 15” wheel on a Talon X or R - 4x136/137 bolt pattern with 14mm hole to fit 12mm studs.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why would you need a spacer? By my calculations a 7” with 5-2 offset is almost the same as stock on the outside.
5/2 on 7” rim = +.25” front & + .20” rear. A little wider but negligible. The stock factory width is almost the same width front to back (outside at the wheel). The staggered offset makes up for the difference in wheel width so that front and back are almost the same. Without the staggered offset the front would be narrower.

The factory wheel offset:
Front is 50mm about 2” (1.969) but on a 6.5” wheel so -1/4” inside and out to a 7”. (1.75 offset)
Rear is 33mm about 1.3” (1.299) on an 8” wheel that so +1/2” inside and out to a 7”. (1.8 offset)
It’s a little complicated but I think I have it right if you can follow my math! I changed the factory offset to the effective offset compared to a 7” 5-2.

Pioneer 1000 has Different offsets and different wheel widths front to rear, the rear width hub to hub is @2” overall narrower in the back so a lot of guys have added a pair 1” spacers in the back and nothing in the front when they go to 5-2 or pair of 2” rear and 1” front for looks of for clearance. I had to run a 1” in the front because the inner beadlock was rubbing the SATV arms.

The front wheels of a pioneer are so narrow and the hub is so far to the outside it hits rocks and roots and everything else so it’s useless on the back except as a emergency spare. The rear wheels not fit on the front because of the extra width.

Reactions: JTW

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Pioneer 1000 has Different offsets and different wheel widths front to rear, the rear width hub to hub is @2” overall narrower in the back so a lot of guys have added a pair 1” spacers in the back and nothing in the front when they go to 5-2 or pair of 2” rear and 1” front for looks of for clearance. I had to run a 1” in the front because the inner beadlock was rubbing the SATV arms.

The front wheels of a pioneer are so narrow and the hub is so far to the outside it hits rocks and roots and everything else so it’s useless on the back except as a emergency spare. The rear wheels not fit on the front because of the extra width.
JTW (post prior to mine) mentioned needing spacers with aftermarket 5-2 offset wheels on a Talon. I admit I haven’t seen mine yet but I see no reason for spacers and my comments were directed at the Talon not the Pioneer. From pictures there doesn’t look like there would be any clearance issues with hub or other hardware. I see some AM wheels already installed on the R model....32” tires and up to 35”.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JTW (post prior to mine) mentioned needing spacers with aftermarket 5-2 offset wheels on a Talon. I admit I haven’t seen mine yet but I see no reason for spacers and my comments were directed at the Talon not the Pioneer. From pictures there doesn’t look like there would be any clearance issues with hub or other hardware. I see some AM wheels already installed on the R model....32” tires and up to 35”.

The point I was making is the reason is the same, for the track width to stay the same front to rear you would need a spacer on the rear of the talon since the wheels are different widths and different offsets just like on the Pioneer.

I have spacers on the front so to make the track width the same I have to have wider spacers on the rear.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The point I was making is the reason is the same, for the track width to stay the same front to rear you would need a spacer on the rear of the talon since the wheels are different widths and different offsets just like on the Pioneer.

I have spacers on the front so to make the track width the same I have to have wider spacers on the rear.
I don’t see why. If you put 5-2 aftermarket wheels on they have the same offset-the offset will now be within .05” The factory wheels have a staggered offset to keep the outside track the same because the rear are 1.5” wider. Now you can rotate tires front to back after the change. Maybe I’m missing something but I have checked all my calculations again.
Edit: According to what I’ve been told the Talon has the same outside width front and back.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t see why. If you put 5-2 aftermarket wheels on they have the same offset-the offset will now be within .05” The factory wheels have a staggered offset to keep the outside track the same because the rear are 1.5” wider. Now you can rotate tires front to back after the change. Maybe I’m missing something but I have checked all my calculations again.
Edit: According to what I’ve been told the Talon has the same outside width front and back.

Check hub face to hub face and let us know on the talon. We’re making assumptions based off paper specs on it for now.

With 5/2 offsets all around on the Pioneer 1000 the rear is 2” narrower than the front. Factory the front is narrower than the rear with the different width wheel/tire and different offset front to rear.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Check hub face to hub face and let us know on the talon. We’re making assumptions based off paper specs on it for now.

With 5/2 offsets all around on the Pioneer 1000 the rear is 2” narrower than the front. Factory the front is narrower than the rear with the different width wheel/tire and different offset front to rear.

I read somewhere the Talon Offsets were 30mm front (1.25") and 50mm rear (2.0") on OEM wheels.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I read somewhere the Talon Offsets were 30mm front (1.25") and 50mm rear (2.0") on OEM wheels.

Yeah I thought they were different but hub to hub the width may be the same. Since the wheels are different offsets my not reflect a hub to hub width difference.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yeah I thought they were different but hub to hub the width may be the same. Since the wheels are different offsets my not reflect a hub to hub width difference.
I can see that especially when 6" wheel with 9" tire in front and 8" wheel with 11" tire in back and all non OEM typically are 7" wide rims. Takes a Kaboobooki theater mathematician to cipher it all

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see that especially when 6" wheel with 9" tire in front and 8" wheel with 11" tire in back and all non OEM typically are 7" wide rims. Takes a Kaboobooki theater mathematician to cipher it all

Or just take the wheels off and measure the hub width....

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
10 inches..... AROUND!

How about a width measurement with the wheels on. Off would be better but If they are about the same front and back with the wheels on that will get close. I usually take a 2x4 or similar on both sides and measure. My machine is held up by the cage weld checks being done at shipping. Or maybe waiting for a cage replacement!

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Factory spec says 33 front. Here’s part of my post earlier that is now way back.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!